2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR has announced they have a partnership with Powerball. Powerball in this case is the well known lottery game.

What I gathered is NASCAR and Powerball would be running a season long co-promotion with the 1 million dollar grand prize drawing at the championship at Phoenix. Further information and details of the promotion, as well as how to enter, will be announced at a later date.
There is a lot more details on this now found on this link. https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/23/nascar-powerball-playoff-promotion-2023/

wdwfan4ver

Tony Stewart has been named one of NASCAR's greatest 75 drivers.

This is a no brainer. There is supposed to be an additional 25 drivers to the original 50 drivers on the greatest all time list.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR driver Cody Ware is suspended by NASCAR indefinitely due to arrest earlier today.

Cody Ware was arrested for assault by strangulation, as well as misdemeanor assault on a woman. Bail for him is $3,000.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Kasey Kahne has been announced as one of NASCAR's greatest 75 drivers.

My own thought is I don't think Kasey should be questioned being on the list. There are other cup drivers with 18 cup wins on original 50 greatest drivers of all time in Harry Gant, Geoff Bodine, and Neil Bonnett. There are drivers that were cup regulars that had even less wins than 18. These types of list from a NASCAR standpoint is capable of having hall of fame drivers and Hall of very good drivers.

wdwfan4ver

The late Mike Stefanik has been announced as one of NASCAR's greatest 75 drivers. He is not exactly well known, but its caused by him being a regional legend. Mike is a 7 time NASCAR modified Champion and a 2 time Busch North series champion. He also was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of fame in 2021.

For those who don't know, the 1998 50 greatest NASCAR driver list did have some drivers that were legends in the lower levels of NASCAR and Mike being one of newest 25 driver on the 75 driver list makes sense.

wdwfan4ver

Randy Lajoie has been announced as one of NASCAR's greatest 75 drivers. I am familiar with him. He did not race a lot in the cup series. His prime ended in the early 2000s with him being in his early 40s at the time. Randy was a 2 time in the what is now the Xfinity series back in 1996 and 1997. He won 15 races in his career in that series.

He also won a NASCAR North Championship back in 1985.

I can't comment more on Randy Lajoie without known who rest of the 25 drivers of the list are.

wdwfan4ver

Kyle Larson has been named one of NASCARs Top 75 drivers. Kyle Larson is the first active driver announced of the 5 drivers announced this week.

Kyle Larson being announced while being an active competitor isn't new. When NASCAR did the top 50 NASCAR drivers back in 1998 there was a good amount of drivers on that list that were active at the time such as Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Sr., Mark Martin, Dale Jarrett, Terry Labonte, Ricky Rudd, Ernie Irvan, Darrell Waltrip, Geoff Bodine, and Rusty Wallace.

Kyle Larson announced on the list is not a shock. I know there are 20 more drivers that need to be announced, but him being named was a must. I compare this pick to what Jeff Gordon was in 1998. Jeff Gordon going into 1998 was 26 years old, but already was a 2 time cup champion with 29 cup wins with him being at his peak as a driver. Kyle Larson right now is 30 years old, a 1 time cup champ with 20 cup wins with him still at his peak as a driver.

The other thing is Kyle Larson has more cup wins than some drivers did in the original 50 greatest NASCAR drivers list did.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR driver Cody Ware is suspended by NASCAR indefinitely due to arrest earlier today.

Cody Ware was arrested for assault by strangulation, as well as misdemeanor assault on a woman. Bail for him is $3,000.
I got an update on Cody Ware. Cody Ware is back in custody. What happened was the police did an investigation from the same incident and charged Cody with 2 additional misdemeanor charges. The two additional charges are assault inflicting serious injury and communicating threats. His bond is set at $5,000 and first court date is on May 1st of this year.

What is meant by serious injuries in this change is Cody assaulted and struck the woman. Cody's assault caused a women to suffer a displaced fracture of the base of the fifth metacarpal bone in her hand. Cody did stuff like throwing women to the ground several times.

wdwfan4ver

Greg Biffle has been named one of NASCARs Top 75 drivers. Him being on the list is an easy one to figure out. He's truck series champion, a what is now a Xfinity series championship, and 19 cup wins. Biffle in 2005 also almost won the cup championship.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Sterling Marlin has been named one of NASCARS top 75 drivers. I know Sterling Marlin's racing career very well. Just because he won back to back Daytona 500s does not mean he should on the list. I thought he was one of the best plate racers of his generation and is possible he might've won more in his career if Atlanta was a plate track in his era. I said one of the best plate racers for a reason besides winning Talladega 2 times and Daytona point races 3 times and another 3 Daytona 500 qualifying races.

I have to see what drivers should've replaced Sterling Marlin, but that depends on the other 18 NASCAR drivers not on the list yet.

10 cup wins does not make a full time cup driver for many years does not make a top a top NASCAR driver. I made the comment about 10 cup wins because Sterling didn't have of a career in the what is now the Xfinity Series. I can't say for sure if he didn't have a neck injury in 2002 if he would've won the cup championship.

I think Sterling Marlin was underrated as a driver. He won 2 times at Darlington and is a great accomplishment. Equipment does not matter not much at some tracks as much as the driver and that was very true for Darlington in Sterling's era.

Sterling Marlin having only 10 cup wins is caused is caused multiple factors starting with when he joined Billy Hagan. Billy Hagan is the race organization Terry Labonte had 3 straight seasons of 20 or more top 10s in a season and won a cup championship in 1984. The problem is when Sterling Marlin joined the team when Terry Labonte left for Junior Johnson, Terry Labonte was leaving a team on the decline in Billy Hagan.

When Sterling Marlin left Billy Hagan after 1990, he joined Junior Johnson. There were two problems. Junior Johnson had a 2 car team from 1984 to 1986, but he decided to make his organization into a single car team from 1987 to 1990. That means the car Sterling Marlin was in was more of a start up team. Also Junior Johnson for the most part was not at their peak when Sterling Joined Junior Johnson.

While Morgan Mcclure was where Sterling won his first 6 races, the organization was on borrowed time as a threat to win races. There was a reason why Ernie Irvan left the organization during the 1993 season to join Robert Yates Racing after Davey Allision Helicopter crash. The problem was Multi-car teams were on the rise in the mid 90s and Single cars teams needed to adapt by forming a 2nd team. Morgan Mcclure was a single car team. Also Morgan Mcclure dating back to Ernie Irvan focused a lot on plate tracks, but didn't focus as much on other tracks. There is a reason why Ernie Irvan only won on Plate tracks, short tracks, and road courses with Morgan Mcclure.

While Marlin won 4 point races with Chip Ganassi, Chip was not the owner that signed him for the 40 car for the 1998 season. That was Felix Sabates. Chip bought a percentage of the race organization from Felix. When Sterling signed with Felix, Felix's race organization declined after 1993. Sterling signed into an organization that was on a decline. Felix as a car owner did not about racing much as Chip and had issues turning the organization around before Chip bought into the team. That meant Sterling had to struggle for 3 seasons before Chip's first full time cup season as an owner in 2001.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Ryan Newman has been named one of NASCARs Top 75 drivers.

I thought he is a solid pick. He's 9th of all time in cup poles with 51. 18 cup wins isn't too bad although 11 of them came in his first 3 full seasons.

He's under the category of good enough to be on a top 75 driver list, but not likely get inducted into the NASCAR Hall of fame.

wdwfan4ver

Chase Elliott has been named one of NASCAR top 75 drivers.

Him on this list is not a surprise despite being on 27 years old. Basically almost every cup driver that is a cup champion is going to be on the list.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Ron Hornaday Jr. has been named as one of NASCAR top 75 driver. He's more than worthy and is rightfully known as a NASCAR legend. He's a four time truck series champion and is 2 time NASCAR southwest series champion. To top it off, he won 4 times in what is now the Xfinity series. He also is one out of 3 drivers that won 5 straight races in a NASCAR national touring series. The only other two are Richard Petty and Bobby Allision.

Unlike some Truck series drivers, Ron really can't be called a Cup series reject. Ron ran as a rookie in 2001 at the age of 43 years old in the cup series for a terrible A.J Foyt team and only had 46 cup starts in his NASCAR career. I can explain this because Ron Hornaday Jr before the truck series existed, he only raced in the west coast/southwest part of the United States. Ron is one of the originally Truck series stars from 1995 and 1996 and was still running racing in that series at the age of 53 in 2011.

When NASCAR originally did the first 50 drivers in 1998, the truck series existed only existed since 1995. When you do a lot of truck series records, you see Kyle Busch and Hornaday Jr.

wdwfan4ver

Jeff Burton has named as one of NASCARS top 75 drivers. He deserves it. He won 21 times in cup series, 27 times in what is know the Xfinity series, 2 Coca cola 600 wins, and a Southern 500 win.

I thought he was at his best at Roush from 1997 to 2000 with 15 wins. He was a top 5 driver in that era. He was really great at Darlington in that era and almost won the Southern 500 3 straight years instead of only winning it once.

He was not great at qualifying, but was great at going to the front.

wdwfan4ver

Dale Earnhardt Jr. was named one of NASCARS top 75 drivers.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. belongs on the top 75 driver list. 2 time champion in the what is now the xfinity series, and 26 cup wins including 2 daytona 500 wins. The top 75 driver list has drivers with less wins than Dale Jr and the there is no reason for Dale Jr. not being on the list as a result.

wdwfan4ver

Bobby Labonte was named one of NASCARS top 75 drivers. Bobby Labonte around when NASCAR had their 50 greatest drivers list back in 1998, but Bobby only had 5 wins before 1998.

Bobby deserves to be on the top 75 list. He won the what is the Xfinity series championship and the cup championship. Bobby as a cup driver won won 21 times including the Coca cola 600, Southern 500, and the Brickyard 400.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom