2019 Runs - seeking advice

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Good morning Runners!

I will be turning the big 4-0 in early 2019 and my "gift" to myself is my 1st Run Disney event. I'm going back and forth between the Princess half and Star Wars half. I'm also tossing the idea of book-ending my trip with a cruise so I can get my Castaway Cay 5k medal too.

I can currently finish a 5k with about a 13 min/mile pace - so I know I have a lot of training in my future!
What race would you recommend for a 1st timer?
Do you recommend running all 3 races (5k, 10k, half) as a 1st timer?
What are the non-running crowds like in February vs April? Will there be spring break level crowds?

ANY advice from you guys and gals is MUCH appreciated!!

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Looking at the course maps...I'm more inclined to run through MK & EPCOT vs a lot of back roads for the Star Wars half - thoughts?

The 10k course looks super boring!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Princess Half is a very popular race and thus has more runners than Star Wars. And the added bonus of running through MK, the only race to do so, other than the Marathon in January. Plus, you get to dress like a princess!

Don't dis a 13 m/m pace - you're faster than many runners.

I'd go for the Princess - weather is cooler than April. But be prepared for really cold weather. Temperature for the 2015 Princess 5k was near freezing at start time, hence the nickname Frozen Princess 5k. It was warm this past Dark Side, low 70s at start. And sunny.

Should you run all three....sure. Since you've got more than a year, you've got plenty of time to train. But you will be running other races before then, correct? I'd throw in a couple of local 5ks and 10ks.

With regards to training, Jeff Galloway has a training calendar for each rD race on the website. If you do all 3, choose the Challenge program. I believe the Princess training program starts at the end of October. While there are other training programs, Galloway's is downloadable into your calendar, so you know the distance to run each weekend. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, he has you working on pacing.

With regards to the Castaway Cay 5k. February is better, temperatures are cooler, relatively speaking. The water temps, however, will be chilly. Part of the race is run through hedges....which means NO breeze. I stopped at every water spot and dumped a cup of water over my head.

There's another thread in the Running forum with the late 2018 - 2019 races and dates registration opens. The Princess sells out faster than other races. So, once you register, make your hotel reservation if you plan on staying on property.

See you in 2019!

FerretAfros

You're off to a good start, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't do all 3 races a year+ from now. Realistically, if you're well trained for a half marathon, adding a 10K the day before really shouldn't be that much more difficult. Jeff Galloway's plans a great, and are specifically designed for 10K+Half challenges, so that should help; even if you don't use the run/walk/run method, they're a good starting point. I've always taken a very low-key approach to the untimed 5Ks, walking them with my family and friends, so time and cost are the real constraints, not physical ability.

A 13mm pace is just fine and dandy. Looking at the 2017 results, that would put you around the top 40-45% at Princess or Star Wars. You have plenty of time to work on your pace if you want, but you're in a good place right now. If you're able to, find a local race (10K maybe) that you can complete in order to submit a Proof of Time for better corral placement, so you won't have to do as much weaving around slower runners

As for which weekend, a lot of that comes down to personal preference, travel availability, and weather. Realistically, the theme doesn't have a huge impact on the events themselves. You're covering lots of distance outside of the parks either way, with some minor variations on the characters and entertainment along the way; the embellishments and details may change, but ultimately they're just window dressings on the running stuff. All runDisney weekends are very welcoming to new runners, though Princess probably has the highest number of first-timers (and Marathon Weekend likely has the lowest); Princess also has the slowest average finish times of any major half marathon in the country

Weather in April will be warmer than February, but the races are early enough that it shouldn't be a major concern. The last finishers will be done by around 10am, with most finishing hours before then. And given the unpredictability of Florida weather, you could easily have a hot race in February too. In the parks, April has spring break crowds, but Princess is always around a holiday week in New Jersey so they're both fairly crowded (but manageable). April also has the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot, if that influences things

Between the two courses, I prefer the Star Wars course (though I ran it as Wine & Dine this year; I did Star Wars with a different course in its first year). It gives you more distance in scenic areas, and they're spaced out better to allow you to mentally work toward benchmarks along the way. With DAK's extensive backstage areas and the Boardwalk area, you get extra distance of noteworthy stuff, even if you're not really in the parks. The final 2-3 miles is the same as the end of the Marathon in January, which is one of my favorite parts of any course I've ever run (Disney or otherwise), passing along Crescent Lake and going the long way around World Showcase. The 10K course is pretty boring until around mile 4, but is great once you get to the parks

The Princess course is the same as the Half Marathon (and first 9+ miles of the Marathon) in January, and is okay, but I'm just tired of it. You get about a mile in MK and half a mile in Epcot, and most of the rest of it is along relatively unremarkable roads and parking lots; there really isn't much park time with this course. It's designed to use wide roads (though there are a couple bottlenecks) to move huge volumes of runners. Unless you really need that photo in front of the castle, it's just not the most exciting course Disney's ever done. The 10K through Epcot similarly has a lot of time on the highway in the first half, but a decent amount of park time in the second half.

Personally (as a male who wasn't a first-time runner), Princess is my least favorite runDisney weekend, by a long shot. There's just a huge atmosphere of entitled amateur hour, with lots of stress about frivolous things while ignoring common race etiquette. Unsurprisingly, but humorously, there are also huge waits for the pre-race port-a-potties. If it were my first time or if I were a woman on a girls trip, I might feel differently, but it just wasn't for me

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so most of the theme that weekend was lost on me, but they did a nice job with it. It felt like other runners (even the inexperienced ones) were better prepared for the event and knew what to expect, and there was an appropriately serious-but-festive atmosphere. My friends who are bigger Star Wars fans definitely enjoy it, and overall I think it's got a lot going for it. It doesn't get as much attention as other races in the rD lineup (which may change with the cancellation of the Anaheim races), but it's a really solid event

Greenlawler

Both posters made good points. Here's my two cents:

What race would you recommend for a 1st timer?
I would say Princess just because of the atmosphere, lots of rookies and more buzz,
Plus it's more of a "Disney" race, meaning there will be more traditional Disney characters to see.

Do you recommend running all 3 races (5k, 10k, half) as a 1st timer? Yes, although if you plan on doing another one that could give you something to look forward to the next year.

What are the non-running crowds like in February vs April? Will there be spring break level crowds? Both will be crowded, I think according to the Crowd Calendars they will be 7-8/10 but I always tell people to stay till that Monday and Tuesday to celebrate at the parks and the crowds will cut but quite a bit, especially in February. The festival at Epcot does make it attractive, but not enough to pick the Star Wars weekend.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@DznyGrlSD,

@Greenlawler makes some really good points.

Since 2019 will be your first year, go with the fun, girly race (yes, I know @Texas84 and others will be running also). And as he so correctly pointed out, it's the more "amateur" of the 4 WDW races.

Yes, stay until Monday or Tuesday. You want to be able to celebrate, wear that Challenge medal and your "I Did It!" shirt in the MK. Plus, you will need time to recover. After my first Half, I was soooo glad I wasn't leaving until Tuesday. Not because my legs were killiing me, but because my feet were destroyed. Blisters on both feet (that's when I learned to go up a FULL size for running shoes). I could barely walk around my hotel room and having that extra day to recover so I could drive home was critical. I run all three races. I arrive on Wednesday. Thursday is Expo Day to pick up race packets - bibs, shirts and any pre-ordered merchandise - and get those "I Did It!" shirts. You will be getting up early 3 days in a row - like 2:30 am. I leave the Wednesday after the races. That way, if I need a full day to recover, I'm fine.

Every race weekend is crowded. But you'll only be in the parks for a few hours, since you'll need an early night Thursday, Friday and Saturday. After that, time to celebrate!

Is there a reason you want to wait until 2019, other than to celebrate turning 40? The 2018 SW Dark Side 5k is still open. You could get your runDisney feet wet with that one. Or do the Wine & Dine 10k next November. That's always a fun race weekend, since it occurs during the end if the Food and Wine Festival.

dreamfinder

I find that the Princess weekend definitely seems to be a girls weekend out type event. So lots of girlfriends, college buddies, etc getting back together to run. More tulle than I've ever seen at one time in my life. While all runDisney events are fun, that vibe at that even just seems even more laid back. That said, it is a really busy time of year. The event weekend usually overlaps with at least one school vacation week period, so resorts fill up really fast between the vacation week and the runners.

But other than variations on the courses (and they do change from year to year, so depending on construction they may be very different next year) the events are fairly similar. Pick the even that fits your calendar, and that has a theme you like better. That framed picture you put on the wall of your first race, do you want to be standing next to a princess or a storm trooper?

As far as which distance you should do, it really would come down to your ability and desire to train. Doing a 5k@13min pace now is a great base, and if you keep training you shouldn't have any issues with doing any of the 3 distances. However, doing all 3 is a step up in terms of commitment. Since you are looking a year plus out you should have more than enough time to train, and I wouldn't make my decision now. Princess registration opens in June, and Star Wars in August. But I would see how your training is a few weeks before registration opens. If you can comfortably do say 5k on Sat and then a 10k on Sun, both at whatever you race pace is, and still be functioning afterwards, then you can probably handle doing the challenge, as long as you can continue to train and add distance. But if doing those back to back is tough, then the challenge probably isn't for you.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah, the challenges aren't for the faint of heart. They really are a test of endurance. Am in awe of runners who do Dopey every year....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom