2008 WDW Marathon Weekend Roll Call

SpongeScott

Who's running the races in January? Let us know!

What race are you doing and where will you be staying?

I'm running the half-marathon and will be staying two nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge! I'm running for Team ASK, a charity that helps severely disabled children.

Who else will be there?

SpongeScott

Original Poster
I am getting ready to book for the 2009 Marathon if my calves can stand the training. Good luck in the half this year.

mg
You've just voiced my greatest fear--my calves. I had to pull out of last year's race because of strained calf muscles. It's better this year, but sometimes my calves feel like dead weight when I run. Here's to hoping everything holds up on this old bod.

Upvote 0

gatordoc

Doing the Goofy this year, after having done the half twice and the full twice. Training is going well so far. Praying for cooler weather than last year (45-50 degrees would be perfect).

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Doing the Goofy this year, after having done the half twice and the full twice. Training is going well so far. Praying for cooler weather than last year (45-50 degrees would be perfect).
My hat is off to anyone who can do the Goofy Challenge. Have you ever done anything like that before?

Here's hoping that the weather is nothing like last year's heat. I'm still waiting for the weather to break here to make it a little easier on the training. Maybe later this week...

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Original Poster
I heard that last year, if you were too far off the pace - such as walking the whole course, they were pulling you out of the marathon.

-dave
You have to maintain a 16 minute/mile pace. I guess you could walk that, but you're gonna have to be hoofing it over a long period of time. There are three checkpoints for pacing. If you don't make it by a certain time, you're taken off the course.

From the official marathon site:
2008 Walt Disney World® Half Marathon Pacing Requirements

PLEASE NOTE: All Athletes entering the Marathon and Half Marathon must be able to maintain a 16-minute per mile pace throughout the race, finishing the Half Marathon in 3.5 hours and the Marathon in 7 hours.
Anyone not able to maintain a 16-minute per mile pace will be picked up and transported to the Family Reunion area at Epcot®. You can be picked up at any point along the course for not maintaining a 16-minute per mile pace.

Upvote 0

gatordoc

My hat is off to anyone who can do the Goofy Challenge. Have you ever done anything like that before?

Here's hoping that the weather is nothing like last year's heat. I'm still waiting for the weather to break here to make it a little easier on the training. Maybe later this week...

Haven't done that distance in races before (although I have gotten close in training runs on some weekends). Worst case if it's hot again this year is doing some walking - my goal at this point is just to finish.

Upvote 0

GoofyDad45

Ill be doing my first marathon here in 2008. Cant think of a better place to do one. Ran my first half marathon in Sept and all is going well.

Can anyone tell me how you get to the WWS Complex to pick up your packet? I dont recall buses going there, but maybe they change that for Marathon Weekend.

Upvote 0

gatordoc

If you have a car, it's easiest to drive to WWS to pick up your packet. There are, however, special buses from the resorts if you need them. Good luck with the race!

Upvote 0

GoofyDad45

Thanks! No car so Ill be finding that bus. Also I will be down in Disney the 19th - 27th and are there any published running routes that are more than 5 miles? I see a couple paths near our resorts, but I need to get some longer distances in and was looking for a long route instead of repeating a short one.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Thanks! No car so Ill be finding that bus. Also I will be down in Disney the 19th - 27th and are there any published running routes that are more than 5 miles? I see a couple paths near our resorts, but I need to get some longer distances in and was looking for a long route instead of repeating a short one.
Not knowing where you are staying, check this out.

http://www.disneyrunning.com/wdwtrails.html

Upvote 0

Ultra Magnus

I'm running the Half this year :D It's my first, so hope to be able to finish without being swept :)

Of course, it gives me an excuse to combine the race with a well earned holiday at the World :D

Training's getting a little hard for the last few months, Scotland is not the best place to do road training :(

Upvote 0

krisrunsdisney

DH and I are doing the full. This is his 4th and he's going for a 4:15 or lower. I'm sure that is weather (temp and humidity) dependent. This is my first and I am going for "not getting swept." The kids are doing the kid races on Friday. Then I go back in May for the Minnie Marathon 15K. It's a sisters' weekend, no husbands or kids! YAY!

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Original Poster
With the races only a few weeks away, who is ready? Who is excited? Who is nervous?

How is training going for every one?
I'm doing the half and training has been very good. I'm a little tired right now, but we're obviously tapering down. I'm ready as long as the weather cooperates. I live 100 miles southwest of WDW and it was miserable running this morning--hot and muggy (73 degrees and 84% humidity).

This is my first, so I'm nervous about the unknown of it all.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom