1st TV Episode of "Wonderful World of Color" Available on VUDU

PB Watermelon

Original Poster
Stumbled across this searching VUDU a few weeks ago...the very first episode of The Wonderful World of Color from 1961. Stars Ludwig Von Drake with fantastic voice work by Paul Frees and killer character animation, great staging and wild colors. The first half of the episode is essentially a demo reel for color TV, complete with "The Spectrum Song". The second half is the beloved short, "Donald in Mathmagic Land". Please, sir, may I have some more?

prberk

Stumbled across this searching VUDU a few weeks ago...the very first episode of The Wonderful World of Color from 1961. Stars Ludwig Von Drake with fantastic voice work by Paul Frees and killer character animation, great staging and wild colors. The first half of the episode is essentially a demo reel for color TV, complete with "The Spectrum Song". The second half is the beloved short, "Donald in Mathmagic Land". Please, sir, may I have some more?

"Donald in Mathmagic Land" is one of the best educational films I have ever seen. It is brilliant look at why math matters. And it doesn't talk down to the kids. It is very literate.

Every generation should watch it.

By the way, how is the episode titled on VUDU?

PB Watermelon

Original Poster
"Donald in Mathmagic Land" is one of the best educational films I have ever seen. It is brilliant look at why math matters. And it doesn't talk down to the kids. It is very literate.

Every generation should watch it.

By the way, how is the episode titled on VUDU?

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: An Adventure in Color and Donald in Mathmagic Land

PB Watermelon

Original Poster
Just found a few others..."Operation Undersea", "The Plausible Impossibe", "Tricks of Our Trade", and Walt's 1966 appearance promoting It's A Small World/Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln/and other new attractions at Disneyland.

prberk

Just found a few others..."Operation Undersea", "The Plausible Impossibe", "Tricks of Our Trade", and Walt's 1966 appearance promoting It's A Small World/Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln/and other new attractions at Disneyland.
Are these free on VUDU, or do you have to purchase them? And if you have to purchase them, do you remember how much they are?

PB Watermelon

Original Poster
Here's the list of Walt-Era TV Episodes after a brief search, can't say it's complete...some restored/remastered HD options, also.

"I Captured the King of the Leprechauns" (SD Only): $2.99 rent, $9.99 own
"Disneyland Around the Seasons" (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$14.99 own
"The Plausible Impossible" (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$14.99 own
"Operation Undersea" (the making of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)...(SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$14.99 own
"Tricks of Our Trade" (SD Only): $2.99 rent, $9.99 own
"The Story of the Animated Drawing" (SD Only): $2.99 rent, $9.99 own
"Perilous Assignment" (the making of Third Man on the Mountain)...(SD Only): $2.99 rent, $9.99 own
"The Liberty Story" (excerpts from Johnny Tremain with Ben and Me included)...(SD Only): $2.99 rent, $9.99 own
"Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: An Adventure in Color/Donald in Mathmagic Land" (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$14.99 own
History Documentaries
Frank and Ollie (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$17.99 own
Walt and El Grupo (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$17.99 own
The Boys (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$17.99 own
Waking Sleeping Beauty (SD/HD): $2.99/$3.99 rent, $9.99/$17.99 own
Also, lots of obscure live-action titles, like Sammy the Way-Out Seal, Ten Who Dared, Nikki Wild Dog of the North, Greyfriar's Bobby, The Best of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures, etc. HD remaster/restorations of Darby O'Gill, Third Man on the Mountain, In Search of the Castaways, Those Calloways, etc. Oddly enough, one of my favorites is not to be found...The Three Lives of Thomasina. Too thorny with the spiritual/religious parallels? Or the slow-motion footage of a tabby cat dropped repeatedly from a ladder on a soundstage against a black backdrop? Both? Also missing -- Make Mine Music and Melody Time, the Tomorrowland Space Trilogy (Man in Space, Man and the Moon, Mars and Beyond), Victory Through Air Power and the WWII shorts, The Light in the Forest, the CinemaScope versions of Westward Ho!: The Wagons and The Great Locomotive Chase...I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:

prberk

Thanks, @PB Watermelon. You're right, that is a good start. Just wish these were still on the "Disney" channel where they used to be in regular rotation from time to time, keeping the history in perspective with the new (just like the parks -- Frontierland balanced by Tomorrowland, with adventure, Americana, and fantasy all in the middle).

I have VUDU but not Netflix yet. Do any of these ever show up on Netflix or Hulu?

By the way, they do not show up on Movies Anywhere, but a good number of the animated classics do.

PB Watermelon

Original Poster
I haven't watched the Disney Channel in maybe over a decade. I have hopes for the as-yet-untitled Disney streaming service coming 2019, though, regarding classic Walt-era TV episodes. I haven't seen any of the Disney TV episodes on either Netlix or Hulu, and Disney's ending their relationship with Netflix at any rate. Just as an aside, if the Fox acqusition goes through, Disney will be the controlling shareholder on Hulu.

I've only purchased two of the episodes from the Vudu list above ("Disneyland Around the Seasons" and "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: An Adventure in Color/Donald in Mathmagic Land", and both show up in my MoviesAnywhere library since I have them linked. I haven't searched MoviesAnywhere for any episodes, although I've picked up quite a few 40's, 50's, 60's, and 80's feature titles back when it was purely Disney focused...(the restored Three Caballeros, 20,000 Leagues, Third Man on the Mountain, Darby O'Gill, Those Calloways, Never Cry Wolf, etc...I'd stay away from The Best of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures...it's struck from a very battered and worn print).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom