One Sentence Competition Retrospectives on Past Seasons

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
.ni m’I
While the rest of us will be playing the One Sentence Competion, @D Hindley will be playing:
1600274123433.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I am super excited for the response so far! I got some good stuff planned and I think we're gonna have a lot of fun!

Like I said, in the lead up to the game I'm gonna do a retrospective on each past season. Showcase how the game has grown and changed over the years! Plus, share my favorite prompt from these seasons as a sort of discussion question if anyone wants it. Once we're done all the retrospective, the game will start! (Give or take a day or two based on 1986)

1SC Retrospective
Season 1

79hYPT7.png

Hosted by: @Turtle
Started on: July 4th, 2013
Won by: @unkadug

This is where it all began! Over 7 years ago!

Basically, games were getting more and more complex. Which can be a great thing, but can also lead to some burn out and make the forum less accessible to newcomers. So, @Turtle decided to do the opposite of the trend and make something about as simple as possible.

Simple was the name of the game.

Prompts were only one sentence long.

Reviews were only one sentence long.

Ironically, the projects were 2 sentences long. Even at the very start of the game the title "One Sentence Competition" was a misnomer! We wouldn't get a season where the 1SC was actually based around only one sentence for a few more years lol

The game was capped at only 6 players, but the small crew was passionate and invested till the end of a long game that included 20 challenges and playoffs after that. The only still semi-active participant in this first season was @englanddg. While the original host and many players don't come around often, the game still lives on!

On a sadder note, the original winner, @unkadug, has actually passed away. He wasn't someone I knew well (he passed not long after I joined), but he made a big impact on this forum and on many people here. The memorial thread for him was pinned on the imagineering forum for a long time and an award for the best One Sentence project of the year was named after him in the Imagineering Year End Awards.

The game has grown so much since the first season, but the spirit of a simple and accessible competition has stayed the same since the very beginning.

A tradition I intend to continue as we head into the future!

Check out the 1st Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 1!

"CHALLENGE 8: How would you add a smell into a Disney ride?"

pix

I am super excited for the response so far! I got some good stuff planned and I think we're gonna have a lot of fun!

Like I said, in the lead up to the game I'm gonna do a retrospective on each past season. Showcase how the game has grown and changed over the years! Plus, share my favorite prompt from these seasons as a sort of discussion question if anyone wants it. Once we're done all the retrospective, the game will start! (Give or take a day or two based on 1986)

1SC Retrospective
Season 1

79hYPT7.png

Basically, games were getting more and more complex. Which can be a great thing, but can also lead to some burn out and make the forum less accessible to newcomers. So, @Turtle decided to do the opposite of the trend and make something about as simple as possible.

Ironically, the projects were 2 sentences long. Even at the very start of the game the title "One Sentence Competition" was a misnomer! We wouldn't get a season where the 1SC was actually based around only one sentence for a few more years lol

The game was capped at only 6 players, but the small crew was passionate and invested till the end of a long game that included 20 challenges and playoffs after that. The only still semi-active participant in this first season was @englanddg. While the original host and many players don't come around often, the game still lives on!

On a sadder note, the original winner, @unkadug, has actually passed away. He wasn't someone I knew well (he passed not long after I joined), but he made a big impact on this forum and on many people here. The memorial thread for him was pinned on the imagineering forum for a long time and an award for the best One Sentence project of the year was named after him in the Imagineering Year End Awards.

The game has grown so much since the first season, but the spirit of a simple and accessible competition has stayed the same since the very beginning.

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 1!

Are we talking like... technically? Cause that's already a thing. or are we talking about adding a smell to a ride that doesn't have one?

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Are we talking like... technically? Cause that's already a thing. or are we talking about adding a smell to a ride that doesn't have one?
Adding a smell to a ride where there isn't one! Like the burning Rome smell of Figment's skunk scent

Sidenote: Anyone know if Magic Candle Company has a Figment's Skunk Fart scented candle? Could be a big money maker for them! :p

tcool123

Toy Story Mania
During the practice round of Toy Story Mania guests are throwing cream pies at various targets, and now whenever a guest hits bullseye on one the targets in the backrow the smell of merengue is shot out. This hidden effect will stage guests expectations for the other special effects that are already present throughout the ride.

(Used two sentences just like the original season 😉)

NateD1226

1SC Retrospective
Season 1

79hYPT7.png

Incredicoaster Cookies

1600283689031.png

During the final scene of Incredicoaster there would be chocolate chip cookie scent that would spray out as you head back into the loading area​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Toy Story Mania
During the practice round of Toy Story Mania guests are throwing cream pies at various targets, and now whenever a guest hits bullseye on one the targets in the backrow the smell of merengue is shot out. This hidden effect will stage guests expectations for the other special effects that are already present throughout the ride.

(Used two sentences just like the original season 😉)
As guests ride Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid and make their backwards descent underwater, the scent of sea air is pumped in and paired with the effect of projected bubbles and water to make guests really feel like they're going under the sea.
I love the intentionality of these ideas and how they don't just add to that scene but effects how guests would see the experience going forward into the rest of the ride!

Incredicoaster Cookies

View attachment 498171

During the final scene of Incredicoaster there would be chocolate chip cookie scent that would spray out as you head back into the loading area​
And ya just can't go wrong with cookies smell! Not to mention how it could make people crave cookies and want to visit the food stand lol

DisneyManOne

How would you add a smell to a Disney ride?

A World of Smells

its-a-small-world-600X400.jpg

To add another level of sensory immersion to the classic "it's a small world", a scent (or scents) familiar to each region will be added to each set-piece, but the most important is the one used for the finale -- the scent of olive, representing one of the defining symbols of world peace: the olive branch.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Mission: SPACE

Add the burnt smell of the pressurized airlock when the capsule is in space, to replicate the smell the astronauts have documented during space flights.

I have learned so many random fun facts like that on this forum lol

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 1

d9qnu43-53a81e5e-3fca-4bf2-a376-df77ac203f7f.png

Hosted by: @tcool123
Started on: February 19th, 2016
Won by: @spacemt354

Season 2 is when the initial idea of this game began to form into The One Sentence Competition as we know it today!

This Season started as a part of the Imagineering Weekends. This was a series of casual games played over the weekends on this forum. Simple and goofy things usually like Where in the World or joke threads based around things like Whose Line is it Anyways.

I wasn't around during the actual Imagineering Weekends events, but many of the most popular threads kept going long after the weekends they were originally intended for because they were just pure fun (The most recent Where in the World post was about a week ago!).

There was only 4 rounds in this episode making it the shortest full season of the game so far. The game started with the same "2 sentences max, no pictures" rule as the first season, but as this episode went on each round expanded more and more. By the end it involved map making and 5 sentences.

There was some controversies. Problems that started here and has been a consistent struggle with the game.
  • The balance between it being fun to write a bit more and that taking away from the simplicity​
  • The risk of accidentally judging a one sentence project as more of a short project rather than an elevator pitch​
  • The struggle of how to expand and grow the game as it continues without losing it's charm and ease​

These three points of contention started here and have continued even into the most recent episodes. It can be a tough balancing act to host the one sentence comp and accommodate the different view points on how people want it to go. @tcool123 handled it with grace and was very open to feedback. Even creating an anonymous survey to learn how to improve the experience in future Episodes!

The game had some growing pains at the start, but this was part of building this into an amazing game! The feedback he received and the way he responded to it are definitely going to be kept in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 1st Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 2: Add a new Float to the Main Street Electrical Parade! (No Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, or movies from before 2000)"

@tcool123 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
How would you add a smell to a Disney ride?

A World of Smells

its-a-small-world-600X400.jpg

To add another level of sensory immersion to the classic "it's a small world", a scent (or scents) familiar to each region will be added to each set-piece, but the most important is the one used for the finale -- the scent of olive, representing one of the defining symbols of world peace: the olive branch.

Oooooohh I like the symbolic meaning to this!

How about this?

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
During the scene where "the rain rain rain" comes "down down down" on the Hundred Acre Wood, the scent of rain - that "earthy" scent you always smell when it's raining in a woods-y area - is added.

That could definitely help ground the 100 Acre Woods a bit and make it feel more real!

Also, sidenote, I'm gonna try to comment on or give a bit of feedback for these daily questions when I can. But I'm not gonna be actually reviewing things. These are just for fun lol. Wanted to make that clear so no one felt left out if I don't comment on one or something.

DashHaber

"CHALLENGE 2: Add a new Float to the Main Street Electrical Parade! (No Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, or movies from before 2000)"
Ralph's Electric Wreck

As Vanellope Von Schweetz drives ahead in a glowing and glitchy go-kart, Wreck-It Ralph follows behind on a float that resembles Niceland, complete with synchronized lights in the apartment windows and a Hero's Medal shining above the apartment building like a beacon.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom