1/17 to 1/24 Trip Report

Here is our trip report for my family of 5: 1/17/04 to 1/24/04, NJ to WDW
I hope it isn’t too boring since it’s my first attempt at a trip report.

Well, we decided to fly this time instead of driving and I have mixed feelings about which I prefer. It was nice to get there in a couple of hours but the cost of about $1200 for 5 plane tickets and a rental car makes me want to drive next time. Anyway, we arrived in Orlando at about 2:00 pm on Saturday, 1/17 and grabbed our luggage and rental car and headed out to the house we rented. We traveled with my brother-in-law and his family and were sharing a 4 bedroom house rental with them. The house cost $850 for the week which we split so it only cost us $425 for 7 nights. Unfortunately, it was too chilly all week to use the pool. Anyway, after settling in, we headed out to MK because Saturday night would be our only chance to catch the Spectromagic parade which was at 8:00 pm. We had purchased annual pass vouchers at the local Disney Store so we had to go to Guest Relations to redeem them. After waiting in line there (and hearing several other people in line complain about how awful the crowds were) we finally got to the window only to have the CM tell us that our vouchers were never activated making them worthless. Of course we momentarily panicked thinking that we were out like $1800 until my wife realized that she did have the receipt from the Disney Store which made all the difference. Without it, we were out of luck they said so we were lucky. After about 45 minutes of talking to several different CM’s (1 was the manager), they gave us our annual passes and I guess they noticed on our faces that some of the excitement of being in WDW had drained from us through this ordeal so they gave us 5 complimentary “fastpasses” for any ride we wanted to use them on (good for 5 guests each, so 25 in all). And these passes were good indefinitely they said, so we saved them until we will really need them in June. By this time, it was too late to ride anything before the parade and we had difficulty even finding a place to watch the parade at all. A wonderful couple whom I thanked like 5 times allowed my two youngest children to squeeze in front of them to see the parade so it was OK. We then caught up with some of our family (there was 12 of us there on this trip altogether) to find a place to watch the 9:00pm Wishes show. My brother-in-law kept saying that he’d been there a couple of years before and had already seen the fireworks but I kept telling him that he’d never seen this show. Needless to say, he understood what I meant when it was over. Wishes was fantastic. We all loved it. That’s it for Day1.

When we awoke on Sunday, it was raining and the forecast was for rain pretty much all day so we got ourselves together, grabbed the ponchos and headed to MK again. It rained lightly for most of the morning and then was off and on several times throughout the day but I guess the rain chased away the crowds because 15 minutes was the most we waited for anything until late in the day when we waited 30 minutes for BTMRR. We didn’t get to do as many attractions as normal though because we were traveling around with 12 people and some were very small. We were unaccustomed and totally unprepared for how difficult it was to decide what to do next all day. Here is the order of things we did ( we were all over the place): met with a dozen or so characters in the building to the right as you enter Main Street then did Pirates, Jungle Cruise, SFR Treehouse, Small World, Peter Pan, Carousel, Mickey’s Philharmagic, Buzz Lightyear, Lunch, Show in front of the Castle, Pirates again, Country Bears, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Wishes. My wife and I decided that we would need to separate from the group from time to time to see everything and this plan worked much better the rest of the week. Before our trip, I was really looking forward to Mission:Space and Mickey’s Philharmagic and so after finally getting my chance to see Mickey’s Philharmagic, it became my favorite attraction. It was so awesome.

Our plan for Monday was to go to EPCOT. Rain was off and on again but didn’t really bother us. Traveling in a large group once again slowed us down but we did go on Mission:Space (twice) and I really liked it but I must admit that after all the hype, I was just a tad disappointed in how short it was and that it wasn’t as intense as I expected. It was cool but just not as intense as I expected. We didn’t get to the Living Seas but hit just about everything else in Future World. The building with Cranium Command and Body Wars was closed however. For dinner, we hopped on the monorail to the Contemporary for our ps at Chef Mickey’s. We had a 5:00pm ps and arrived about 10 minutes early. They seated us right at 5:00pm so didn’t have to wait long but as we were leaving overheard several people complaining that they had ps but still had been waiting for 30 minutes. The characters were great except Goofy skipped our table and the two near it twice and we ended up leaving without meeting him. We loved the food and the atmosphere even though it was a little pricey. When we left Chef Mickey’s, my kids spotted some penny presses and had to add to their collection so we hit all five machines. By this time, my in-laws were into the penny presses also. We then got on the monorail to the transportation station and switched monorails to the one going to EPCOT. Just before arriving at the station, my wife realized that she didn’t have our digital camera anymore and had no idea where she left it except that she knew she had it at Chef Mickey’s. At this point, we didn’t know if she lost it at the Contemporary or on the first monorail so she headed back on the monorail and I got off at EPCOT with the kids and the rest of the family. In the mean time, my brother-in-law realized that he didn’t have his wallet either and got back on the monorail to go back as well. (It must run in their family) Anyway, to make a long story short, they had both left them on top of the penny press machines in the Contemporary and someone found them and turned them in to the front desk. What a lucky break. I was sure that we were out the $200 camera (and all the pictures I’d taken) and the wallet with approx.$500 cash inside but they were found by an honest person and turned in. If you are that person out there reading this, THANK YOU. By the time, this all took place and they got back to EPCOT, we had just enough time to get a good spot for Illuminations. Even though I’ve seen it before, it still is an incredibly moving show. And even though Wishes is awesome, Illumination is still the best!

RalphieN

Original Poster
Tuesday was our Animal Kingdom day and we had a nice day. I had never been on the safari or had I seen the Tarzan show or the Jammin’ in the Jungle parade before so each of those was a treat. There was no rain this day and the crowds were light again. I like Animal Kingdom but all in all, it’s my least favorite of the Disney parks. Kali River Rapids was closed but that was OK, because it was a little chilly anyway. There wasn’t much to say about the day as a whole except that we managed to get to everything we wanted to without a problem. At 5:00pm, we headed to the Rainforest Café for out ps there. We never ate there before and were looking forward to it. I must say that it was a huge disappointment though. Only one person in our group of 7 adults liked their food and maybe our kids are weird but they weren’t very excited about the fake animals all around. Oh well, I guess it just wasn’t our thing and for $130, my family of 5 has had much better meals so won’t likely be going back.

On Wednesday, we went to Sea World for our only non-Disney day. We had a great time. The shows were fun and entertaining. The crowds were not bad except at the Dolphin feeding area and the weather was great. We decided to upgrade our 1-day passes to “Fun Cards” which get us into Sea World for the entire year since we will be going back in June. It only cost $55 to upgrade all 5 passes so it was a bargain. My only complaints about Sea World are that everywhere you turn, they want you spend more money like on feeding the animals or wall climbing, etc. They should somehow include these things in the entrance price but other than that, we loved Sea World probably even more than Animal Kingdom. The two rides, Atlantis and Kraken are both really cool and since it was the first time I’d ever ridden Kraken, I was surprised at how awesome it was. My favorite show was the Clyde and Seymour Pirate show which was a blast. After we left Sea World, we went to the Pirate Dinner Theater for dinner. It was OK. The show was fun if not thrilling. The food was not bad but not great either. The price is steep, however. (I don’t remember exactly but in the $40’s for each person). We also paid $5 extra each to get a “front row” seat, which really means in one of the front three rows which was a little disappointing. I was half-tempted to walk out when I realized this but my kids were really looking forward to it. By the end of the night, I was OK with the seats though because they had both of my younger ones in the show, first as pirates, then as soldiers so they loved it.

Thursday was MGM day. I really like MGM and it was a great day. I rode Tower of Terror for the first time ever and liked it so much, I ended up riding it 3 times. My wife loves the Beauty and the Beast show and we really didn’t wait very long for anything once again. Rock n Roller Coaster was probably the longest wait and that couldn’t have been more than 20 minutes. My son loves the Indiana Jones show and Star Tours and between the two, spent just about all of his souvenir money on Indiana Jones and Star Wars stuff. We relaxed more on this day than any of the others and still saw almost everything. We got to share Fantasmic with the rest of our family, which was fun because that is just an incredible experience. After Fantasmic, we called it an early night.

On Friday, we spent the first half of the day at MK and second half at EPCOT. We were able to hit all of the attractions that we missed earlier in the week such as Haunted Mansion, COP, Indy Speedway, Pooh, etc. We really enjoyed the Goofy’s Country Dancing show and my kids had a blast dancing with the characters. We ate lunch in Cinderella’s Castle and were surprised to see Snow White in there. I guess she took over for the day. After lunch, we headed to EPCOT and went through the Living Seas then World Showcase. The kids really enjoy making the masks and getting their passports stamped. Every time we go, my wife and I end up wishing that we had more time to spend at the World Showcase area. Well, maybe when the kids get older. We had another great day that ended with Illuminations. One thing to mention about Friday, it got darn cold and being from NJ, we can usually take the cold pretty well. I was wearing a shortsleeve t-shirt, a longsleeve t-shirt and a jacket and was still a bit cold during Illuminations.

Saturday was our last day but our flight wasn’t until late afternoon so we had one more day in the parks. We left it up to the kids and they voted for MGM. It was probably the nicest day for weather all week and was very relaxing. We had done just about everything on Thursday, so it was a day of repeats. We tried to have lunch at the Sci-Fi Café but couldn’t get a table. We decided to try Mama Melrose’s for the first time ever and were pleasantly surprised. I would rate it as one of the best meals we had all week. We were sorry to say goodbye when it was time to go. We drove to the airport with the windows down and the next time we stepped outside again it was like 15 degrees in Philadelphia. Within 12 hours of being back home, we were already looking at pictures of the house we are renting in June and making plans.

Please ask me questions about our trip or what we saw while we were there and I’ll be happy to answer.

DisneyDugger

very nice report!

We are going in two weeks and have a couple of questions:

1. Car rental. Where did you rent from? Can I ask what your rate was for the week? We have a fullsize car from Dollar for $161US total. Is that comparable to yours?

2. Passport stamping at Epcot. What's that all about? Where?

cheers

RalphieN

Original Poster
$161 for the car is better than we got. We paid like $195 for a fullsize from Alamo for 8 days.

The Passports are available at most of the the shops in the World Showcase part of EPCOT and are about 5" X 7" blue booklets with each of the countries in the World Showcase having their own page. With the passport comes a set of stickers for each page and when presented to the persons manning the Kid's FunSpot in each country, they stamp it and write something in their own language to the kids. My kids thought they were the best thing. I think they were $10 each.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by RalphieN
...........and I guess they noticed on our faces that some of the excitement of being in WDW had drained from us through this ordeal so they gave us 5 complimentary “fastpasses” for any ride we wanted to use them on (good for 5 guests each, so 25 in all).
What a decent gesture by Disney - thats the difference that makes Disney a magical experience.
Nice report, thanks.

aim

Great report! Glad to hear it went pretty well! I couldn't imagine going with that many people though! And I thought 8 people was bad. hehehe. I must say that I agree with you about Mama Melrose's! It's like a hidden secret! I never really noticed it. The food there is just soooo good! And I loved the atmosphere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom