‘Moana’ Follow-Up Movie Set To Feature Disney’s First Latina Princess Reportedly In The Works

champdisney

Given your previous comments about PC-ness, I think I will have to agree to disagree with you and step away.
That’s okay. People don’t necessarily have to agree with one another, that’s why we discuss. To say you’re stepping away from the conversation is to assume that we’re in the midst of having a combative debate. No need for that. I respect everyone’s opinion nonetheless.

aliceismad

That’s okay. People don’t necessarily have to agree with one another, that’s why we discuss. To say you’re stepping away from the conversation is to assume that we’re in the midst of having a combative debate. No need for that. I respect everyone’s opinion nonetheless.
Apologies. I did not mean that we were combative, just that I think my contribution to the thread has run its course. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It has very pedestrian lyrics (how many times can you rhyme island with island?) and the vocals are terrible. The songs sound like they were written by a child and they talk down to you. I mean if you like mediocre song writing I guess it's great. Y'all have low standards I guess.
I don't know about worst, but I'm not a fan either. It sucks when songs rhyme a word with itself and the main song in the movie does that over and over... BOO!

What a ridiculous and objectively wrong claim. Yes, it uses "island" four times within three lines, but that is a device called "repetition", used for emphasis. Moana feels trapped and hemmed in by being on a island, and so, "island" hems in part of the song.

The song uses traditional ABAB rhymes, along with clever run of ABABABB.

The song also uses "assonance" in hammering the "eye" sound without being perfect rhymes. A device that is perfectly acceptable in poetry and a boat load of pop songs.

So, no, the main song doesn't give you a nursery rhyme where you get perfect ABAB rhymes from beginning to end, but that's what make the song a more mature song since it plays both within and outside the rules and breaks the rules at times.

Here's a breakdown of the rhymes, and it is objectively clear the song does *not* keep rhyming the same word with itself.

... water ... why
... daughter ... try
... take... track
... make ... back
... know... go
... be ... me
... knows... goes ... me
... know ... go
I know everybody on this island, seems so happy on this island
... design
I know everybody on this island has a role on this island
... mine
... pride... strong
... satisfied ... along
... inside ... song
... wrong... me

[assonance in red]
... light ... shines ... blinding
... knows... goes
... like ... to me, so ... find me
... know... beyond that line... cross that line?
... line ... sky ... sea... me
... knows... goes
... sea ... me
... know,... go

Also, the song "Moana" sounds like it's repeating the same word at times, but it's a clever use of homphones: see, sea; leaves (of trees), (no one) leaves.

And talk about rhymes schemes, "Shiny" has some of the cleverest use of rhymes not found in any other song I can think of.

Anyone who thinks of the songs of Moana as hackneyed, needs to sue their High School for the failure to teach how to critically analyze poetry/lyrics.

Amidala

As for color blind casting... remind me why the Lion King remake has a strong African American cast?

Because it takes place in Africa?

Bad clickbait title. The text of the article says it's a 'follow-up' with including Lin since he was involved in Moana.

It is *not* a sequel.

Other news outlets do not call it a sequel.

This is a relief...A sequel to Moana should star Moana...and I'd rather we avoided another princess sequel. I'll gladly make an exception for Frozen (as the highest grossing animated film, with plenty of unexplained lore to expand on) but am hoping this won't become a trend. I thought the Moana storyline was very tight (compare w/ something like PATF, which was extremely ambitious but juggled too many moving parts and suffered for it). The "twist villain" has (unfortunately) become a staple of the modern Disney movie, but I appreciated that this one had actual thematic significance. It felt well thought out, not a twist for the sake of a twist (see: King Candy from WiR, Robert Callaghan from BH6).

Also hoping this movie (if it does get the green light) takes a cue from Moana & a) Casts a voice actress in the proper age range and b) Designs realistic body proportions. Moana (the character) felt very authentic to me, and I think those decisions went a long way.

What a ridiculous and objectively wrong claim. Yes, it uses "island" four times within three lines, but that is a device called "repetition", used for emphasis. Moana feels trapped and hemmed in by being on a island, and so, "island" hems in part of the song.

The song also uses "assonance" in hammering the "eye" sound without being perfect rhymes. A device that is perfectly acceptable in poetry and a boat load of pop songs.

So, no, the main song doesn't give you a nursery rhyme where you get perfect ABAB rhymes from beginning to end, but that's what make the song a more mature song since it plays both within and outside the rules and breaks the rules at times.

Here's a breakdown of the rhymes, and it is objectively clear the song does *not* keep rhyming the same word with itself.

... water ... why
... daughter ... try
... take... track
... make ... back
... know... go
... be ... me
... knows... goes ... me
... know ... go
... design
... mine
... pride... strong
... satisfied ... along
... inside ... song
... wrong... me

[assonance in red]
... knows... goes
... knows... goes
... sea ... me
... know,... go

Also, the song "Moana" sounds like it's repeating the same word at times, but it's a clever use of homphones: see, sea; leaves (of trees), (no one) leaves.

And talk about rhymes schemes, "Shiny" has some of the cleverest use of rhymes not found in any other song I can think of.

Anyone who thinks of the songs of Moana as hackneyed, needs to sue their High School for the failure to teach how to critically analyze poetry/lyrics.

Such a great breakdown. 100% agree, I thought the Moana soundtrack was a refreshing change of pace.

Last edited:

Jedijax719

I'm guessing that "follow up" means the first new Disney princess since Moana (since she was the last princess). However, "Dragon Empire"
is in the works and is slated for November, 2020 (although from what I've read, it's not scheduled for the D23 panel in August-the animated panel will feature Frozen 2, Onward, and Soul).

Or it could mean that it's Lin Manuel's first new creation since Moana. I don't see the two having to do with each other (that being the new one and Moana).

I've always imagined an Incan tale featuring Supay, the God of the Underworld, and Macchu Picchu as the setting. Elena of Avalor, unfortunately, has been losing popularity due to her limitations to Disney Junior.

Dunston

... water ... why
... daughter ... try
... take... track
... make ... back
... know... go
... be ... me
... knows... goes ... me
... know ... go
... design
... mine
... pride... strong
... satisfied ... along
... inside ... song
... wrong... me

[assonance in red]
... knows... goes
... knows... goes
... sea ... me
... know,... go

Ok

Prince-1

I'm just not a fan of the cultural and historic inaccuracies. I've seen it in all the current live action remakes, Cinderella with Brandy... yeah cute made for television movie but who even remembers that?

As for color blind casting... remind me why the Lion King remake has a strong African American cast? They're animals. It shouldn't matter who does these characters voices, however, "Bob Iger's Disney" wants to push hard with being PC even for something as ridiculous as voicing CGI animals. Of course this is done in order to stay relevant and trendy. At the end of the day, money is what makes that man's head spin.

Looks like someone might be a little bit racist? 😆

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom