‘Aladdin’ Spinoff Featuring Prince Anders In The Works For Disney+

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

Disney’s live-action Aladdin remake dominated the box office earlier this year, and with talks of a sequel starting to heat up it seems we may get a spin-off before that.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Disney has hired Jordan Dunn and Michael Kvamme to pen a script for an Aladdin spinoff centered on the goofy character of Prince Anders played by Billy Magnussen.

Magnussen would reprise his role, and the studio is setting the feature up at Disney+ and is in early stages at this point in time.

Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich, who produced the billion dollar-grossing Aladdin, are back in the producers seat via their banner, Rideback. Rideback’s Ryan Halprin will executive produce.

The Grand Inquisitor

1575844713059.png

NateD1226

Small update:

In December 2019, news broke that a Disney+ Aladdin spinoff was in the works centering on Prince Anders, the character Magnussen played in the $1 billion grossing live-action remake.

Magnussen had learned that in Hollywood, rarely do opportunities fall into one's lap. That's why he approached Aladdin producers Rideback with the idea to develop a spinoff and pitched it hard. Together, they approached Disney, which has never made a spinoff from one of its live-action remakes.

"They had no thought of doing it. I just didn't want this character to die, because I fell in love with it so much and I saw how much it put a smile on people's faces," says Magnussen.

It's been a slow process, but Magnussen has been spending part of lockdown continuing to develop the script with screenwriters Jordan Dunn, Shane Andries and Chris Smith.

"It's an uphill battle, that's for sure, but it all stems from love and respect and it's a passion project. You see it happen all the time," says the actor, citing Ryan Reynolds' years-long push to get Deadpool made. "No one else was going to pitch this movie except me."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is a really long list of possible Disney movies based on original ideas, books, attractions, sequels, prequels, live action, and so on. The majority of which never came to be. They get reported as "X is working on a sequel to Bolt!" With X being some writer or director. The possible movie isn't even written yet, and gets talked about like it's definitely in the pipeline... and it never was.

Now, with Disney+ and a voracious appetite for new content, a lot of these new ideas for a movie or series has a higher probability of coming about.... but still, the dropout rate is still high. Scripts never get written or thrown out by Disney.

This smells like more hype than reality.

waltography

Something rubs me the wrong way about the potential spin off to a blockbuster movie centered on POC characters being centered on the white guy who barely has a minute in the original movie.

He had a mildly funny bit part. It's best to keep it at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom