Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

tommyhawkins

From 3Q report:

View attachment 586904

That looks like 60% less for domestic parks, not 44%.
But that started October last year, with the previous FY occuring during 7 months of the pandemic
Previous two years you can see were higher. So they spent less this FY despite more of the parks being open, with WDW never shutting than they did last year. This just depresses me how long covid has been going on for.

1631623843929.png

DisneyDodo

I do hope Comcast can build a complete and great theme park and do it soon. But I also know just how difficult that would be for them or any company. Just look at how Disney scaled back the Epcot refurbishment projects and the 50th Anniversary plans.
I think Comcast already proved with the mid-pandemic openings of Bourne and Velocicoaster that they are going to try to push through this without significantly cutting back their investment in the parks. Very different from Disney, which delayed Rat, Tron, and GotG, shelved Poppins, SSE, and the Epcot Festival Center, and significantly cut back their planned offerings for the 50th.

DisneyDodo

A standard coaster and a show weren't huge investments.
They probably weren’t the two highest budget attractions Uni’s ever built, but Disney canceled (or indefinitely shelved) projects which I would presume had lower budgets than Velocicoaster (e.g. Poppons carousel, SSE refurb, festival center) and opened absolutely nothing during the year and a half between the start of the pandemic and the start of the 50th anniversary

OG Runner

They probably weren’t the two highest budget attractions Uni’s ever built, but Disney canceled (or indefinitely shelved) projects which I would presume had lower budgets than Velocicoaster (e.g. Poppons carousel, SSE refurb, festival center) and opened absolutely nothing during the year and a half between the start of the pandemic and the start of the 50th anniversary
Almost right. Mickey's Runaway Railroad opened right around the beginning of the pandemic and Remy's is opening now, having already done soft openings. Take a look at the final costs of Harmonious also and it is a bit more than nothing.

DisneyDodo

Almost right. Mickey's Runaway Railroad opened right around the beginning of the pandemic and Remy's is opening now, having already done soft openings. Take a look at the final costs of Harmonious also and it is a bit more than nothing.
MMRR opened right before the country started shutting down, and was already significantly delayed, so I consider that pre-pandemic. Rat and Harm will both be officially opening for the 50th and were both delayed from planned 2020 openings. I’m not saying Disney spent 0 cash, but it’s clear they pulled back spending considerably more than Comcast during the crux of the pandemic.

OG Runner

MMRR opened right before the country started shutting down, and was already significantly delayed, so I consider that pre-pandemic. Rat and Harm will both be officially opening for the 50th and were both delayed from planned 2020 openings. I’m not saying Disney spent 0 cash, but it’s clear they pulled back spending considerably more than Comcast during the crux of the pandemic.
Sorry but MMRR opened in March of 2020. Remy's has already been opened. (See the POVs) Harmonius is supposed to open for the 50th, but that also didn't stop the costs. (Have you seen those barges?) Are you also considering the construction that has continued on Tron? I
am not saying there were no cut backs. Both Universal & Disney did during the pandemic. I just feel your statement was too broad without
taking into account the obvious examples to the contrary.

Ripken10

Sorry but MMRR opened in March of 2020. Remy's has already been opened. (See the POVs) Harmonius is supposed to open for the 50th, but that also didn't stop the costs. (Have you seen those barges?) Are you also considering the construction that has continued on Tron? I
am not saying there were no cut backs. Both Universal & Disney did during the pandemic. I just feel your statement was too broad without
taking into account the obvious examples to the contrary.
Remy is not officially open. It is just previews.

OG Runner

Remy is not officially open. It is just previews.
The question was in reference to rides being built and costs during the pandemic. Even though Remy's won't officially be open
until 10/01/2021. They have already had it open for passholder and cast member previews.

OG Runner

I think Comcast already proved with the openings of Bourne and Velocicoaster that they are going to try to push through this without significantly cutting back their investment in the parks. Very different from Disney, which delayed Rat, Tron, and GotG, shelved Poppins, SSE, and the Epcot Festival Center, and significantly cut back their planned offerings for the 50th.

What is next for Comcast/Universal? What will they be doing when Rat, Tron & GotG are opening?
Not to be too contrary but Bourne opened that is true. (June 2020) The Velocicoaster
opened this Summer,. Much of the construction was but if you are
going to put forth an argument at least have your facts straight.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyDodo

What is next for Comcast/Universal? What will they be doing when Rat, Tron & GotG are opening?
Not to be too contrary but Bourne opened that is true. (June 2020) The Velocicoaster
opened this Summer, Much of the construction was but if you are
going to put forth an argument at least have your facts straight.
My facts are very much straight. Between March 5, 2020 and September 30, 2021, Uni opened 2 new attractions, while Disney opened none. Universal is currently building an entire theme park, which will involve orders of magnitude more investment than anything Disney has planned. And still, there are reports that they will be opening up attractions at their existing parks in the interim (e.g. Potter VR, BMG replacement show, potential Shrek replacement).

Last edited by a moderator:

J4546

My facts are very much straight. Between March 5, 2020 and September 30, 2021, Uni opened 2 new attractions, while Disney opened none. Universal is currently building an entire theme park, which will involve orders of magnitude more investment than anything Disney has planned. And still, there are reports that they will be opening up attractions at their existing parks in the interim (e.g. Potter VR, BMG replacement show, potential Shrek replacement

Are there any attractions scheduled to be coming to Universal outside of MarioKart in USH in the next couple years? (outside of EU)

DisneyDodo

Are there any attractions scheduled to be coming to Universal outside of MarioKart in USH in the next couple years? (outside of EU)
Universal generally waits until much later in the process to announce upcoming attractions compared to Disney, so nothing that has been announced yet. It’s unlikely they will open anything in Orlando in 2022, but there are indications they plan to open new attractions at USF ahead of EU, likely in 2023 and 2024. IOA probably won’t be seeing anything new right away since they recently opened Hagrid and Valocicoaster there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom