Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

jinx8402

dreday3

But how would guests know if you booked a "regular" lighting lane or paid extra for it? Once you are in the lane, why would it make a difference anyways? Wouldn't everyone be showing up at their assigned times?

I'm assuming you use your magic band or phone just like for fast pass, check in at your slotted time and go merrily down the lane.

But wait, aren't the pay for attractions not eligible for the regular lightening lane? So then people wouldn't even see it as option and just assume it wasn't available if they really didn't understand the system. So the sign is still correct.

All that confusion to say...not a big deal. :D

disneygeek90

Has anyone seen signs for the paid attractions go up yet? Wondering how they expect to do those as labeling them lightning lane as well guests will complain as misleading.
I posted this in the ROTR thread but I 100% expect a family to see "lightning lane" at the attraction entrance, click through the Genie+ purchase that mentions LL, and then have a nice what the heck reaction when the app or a CM tells them they have to pay $20 more again for ROTR. When that's all they wanted to begin with.

These really need two separate names.

James Alucobond

Oh look: another professional looking Lightning Lane sign.

What a HALF-A$$ED job. What an embarrassment.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but given the sloppy design (architecture, interior decor, theming, signage, etc.) that now characterizes WDW, I will not be surprised if the sloppily camouflaged Fast Pass lettering just stays visible for the long term. Why bother at this point?
View attachment 585640
This is an overreaction of the highest order. These things are a work in progress with a temporary quick fix in place. They’re the signage equivalent of the rolling topiaries used to hide construction. Also, as has already been pointed out, Under the Sea’s sign uses the same font as before.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has anyone seen signs for the paid attractions go up yet? Wondering how they expect to do those as labeling them lightning lane as well guests will complain as misleading.

But how would guests know if you booked a "regular" lighting lane or paid extra for it? Once you are in the lane, why would it make a difference anyways? Wouldn't everyone be showing up at their assigned times?

I'm assuming you use your magic band or phone just like for fast pass, check in at your slotted time and go merrily down the lane.

But wait, aren't the pay for attractions not eligible for the regular lightening lane? So then people wouldn't even see it as option and just assume it wasn't available if they really didn't understand the system. So the sign is still correct.

All that confusion to say...not a big deal. :D

I posted this in the ROTR thread but I 100% expect a family to see "lightning lane" at the attraction entrance, click through the Genie+ purchase that mentions LL, and then have a nice what the heck reaction when the app or a CM tells them they have to pay $20 more again for ROTR. When that's all they wanted to begin with.

These really need two separate names.

Y'all way over thinking this.

Lightning Lane is the name for the shortcut queue. It is not synonymous with Genie+ nor IA$, though both allow you to gain access to LL.

Remember that there were different buckets of people who could use the FastPass Lanes: FP+ holders, DAS, Child Swap, and VIP Tours. There weren't different signs for each of those buckets.

Same with LLs. A person with a Genie+ pass, or a IA$, or a DAS, or a VIP Tour can use it.

dreday3

Lightning Lane is the name for the shortcut queue. It is not synonymous with Genie+ nor IA$, though both allow you to gain access to LL.

Remember that there were different buckets of people who could use the FastPass Lanes: FP+ holders, DAS, Child Swap, and VIP Tours. There weren't different signs for each of those buckets.

Same with LLs. A person with a Genie+ pass, or a IA$, or a DAS, or a VIP Tour can use it.

hey, I was slowly working my way there with my thought process...I just got tired of typing it out. 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The problem won’t be confusion at the queues…

…it will be that they’re charging for a System that does nothing to fix the problem: lack of capacity for 2020 issue crowds at high cost.

should be fun though 👍🏻

jpinkc

The problem won’t be confusion at the queues…

…it will be that they’re charging for a System that does nothing to fix the problem: lack of capacity for 2020 issue crowds at high cost.

should be fun though 👍🏻
AMEN!!! And no it wont be fun for anyone, except Genie counting our dwindling cash!!! And Slappy and crew at TWDC taking there Big Bonuses for it.

UNCgolf

Hourly capacity is the primary metric but what you are mostly describing is instantaneous capacity, how much space is there to put people at a single moment. This is where longer rides, which typically have more ride vehicles, help more with crowding than a short ride that reaches a similar hourly capacity. An offshoot is then instantaneous queue capacity, so a higher capacity ride will have more people in 20 minutes of space and people are more willing to wait for longer experiences.

I didn't know there was a word for this! It's something I've mentioned here multiple times; that a 15 minute long ride has a functionally higher capacity than a 2 minute long ride even if the hourly capacity is the same because it occupies more people for a longer period of time.

I'm very happy to know I can now refer to it as instantaneous capacity.

EPCOT has had a dramatic decrease in instantaneous capacity since the 1990s.

MickeyLuv'r

But that’s kinda irrelevant because one ride can’t lure trips anymore. People go…or they don’t…

people are there…or they’re not.
Huh, I just read a post written by someone who extended their upcoming visit so they could ride Ratatouille during the AP preview. By a full week.

I was at WDW when a portion of SW opened. Lots of detailed SW costumes. On adults.

I also remember when the Anna +Elsa meet had a 6-8 hour wait.
Every.
Day.
A 3-year old waiting 7 hours to see Anna = why that child is in Epcot. by that I mean, after 8 hours, they aren't doing much of anything else that day.

But mostly my earlier post was about psychology. We want new rides to have long lines. We want the shiny new thing that is in demand. I have been at WDW when it was very empty. It is odd and rather unsettling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Huh, I just read a post written by someone who extended their upcoming visit so they could ride Ratatouille during the AP preview. By a full week.

I was at WDW when a portion of SW opened. Lots of detailed SW costumes. On adults.

I also remember when the Anna +Elsa meet had a 6-8 hour wait.
Every.
Day.
A 3-year old waiting 7 hours to see Anna = why that child is in Epcot. by that I mean, after 8 hours, they aren't doing much of anything else that day.

But mostly my earlier post was about psychology. We want new rides to have long lines. We want the shiny new thing that is in demand. I have been at WDW when it was very empty. It is odd and rather unsettling.
So you believe that anecdotal is evidence of the dominant pattern?

…maybe. I don’t agree…but maybe.

Rich Brownn

Co
A permit to change a sign in a theme park?

Who made that rule -- the American Association of Permit Approvers? Could be worse. When I worked for the Hogwarts Express we needed to change a sign from EXIT-> to <-LIFT/EXIT-> Going between Universe, WB, and JK it took THREE YEARS!

RSoxNo1

This is what is truly messed up, placing a lightning lane sign on an attraction that regular lighting lane purchasers won't even be able to go on without an additional purchase.
This is blatant false advertising no? It has the same name but an extra charge that isn't advertised.

No, they just have three names.
  • Genie+ is the thing you're paying $15 a day for to give you access to the Lightning Lane for select attractions
  • Individual Attraction Selections are upcharge attractions not included in Genie+ that also have Lightning Lane access
  • Lightning Lane is the alternate queue itself
Don't get me wrong, it's another level of confusion and they may even be by design to get people to "solve" the problem with their wallets.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think BatB looks like trash. But, that’s just me. Of course, I haven’t ridden.
But remember you are talking about a place where only 1 of the last 4 or 5 big additions is actually worth the praise/lines it receives.

so is it really about “quality”…or is it about moving meat through the market?

trash or not…If they’d install it…it would be lauded. That’s too low of a management bar to have to “eclipse”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What is that? Times New Roman?
Hardly different from what was the default Mermaid typeface...

1631158938122.png

1631158988497.png

The applique signs for all the other rides I've seen have used that attraction's default typeface. It's not Times New Roman for Toy Story Mania or for Swirling Saucers...

1631159207924.png

1631159167519.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom