Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willmark

Dark humor always kept me relaxed under pressure.

I was in Camp Victory/North Liberty ( helping night /recon as a civilian) during Iraqi Freedom. I had a number of moments that Dark Humor sprung into my mind.(Some think it is just trivializing danger, but I understood the danger, dark humor made it easier to manage, Army also acknowledges the benefit of it as a coping method)

Example: Someone ran up to me to tell me what happened earlier in the morning at the MWR on base: A soldier was exercising and a mortar round landed on top of the MWR killing him.

I turned to the person telling me this and said with a grin, “See, exercise can be dangerous to your health.”
Sound like the fire service/EMS.

Car accidents and those not wearing seat belts= windshield taste test.

Lilofan

Dark humor always kept me relaxed under pressure.

I was in Camp Victory/North Liberty ( helping night /recon as a civilian) during Iraqi Freedom. I had a number of moments that Dark Humor sprung into my mind.(Some think it is just trivializing danger, but I understood the danger, dark humor made it easier to manage, Army also acknowledges the benefit of it as a coping method)

Example: Someone ran up to me to tell me what happened earlier in the morning at the MWR on base: A soldier was exercising and a mortar round landed on top of the MWR killing him.

I turned to the person telling me this and said with a grin, “See, exercise can be dangerous to your health.”
Someone once said don't be afraid to expose your inner child. Acting like an adult in very stressful situations can at times add to stress levels. Act briefly like a kid to break the ice and to lower the stress levels.

Last edited:

Willmark

Other ones?
DRT= Dead Right There. For those with obvious signs of death, I won’t share the actual times/stories surrounding seeing said incident.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Nothing from DCL yet -

"Carnival Cruise Line took the weekend to decide, but is following other cruise lines that have made the decision to require vaccines for most of its passengers 12 and older for sailings to the Bahamas.

In a press release Sunday, the line announced it was changing protocols to limit passengers on ships to fully vaccinated only if over the age of 12, or if they have a medical condition that prohibits vaccination."

“Effective Aug. 28 through October, for departures from all Atlantic and Gulf homeports, only children under 12 and adults with a medical condition that prohibits their vaccination are exempt from vaccination requirements to sail,” the line states. “Carnival is advising guests of this update, and any guests that have received an exemption applicable through October have been informed of this change and that exemptions beyond these two categories are rescinded.”

GimpYancIent

I still say do a New Zealand style lockdown for 30-45 days and come around and vaccinated everyone with the now FDA approved Pfizer. Severe jail time for any offenders.
Hell stop messing around, send armed teams w sniffer dog's out to collect non-vaccinated people, take them to mass vaccination centers if they decline / refuse to be vaccinated immediately (no notification of next of kin) load them on a plane and ship them to an isolation colony in the Aleutian islands. GIVE ME A BREAK people. It's as bad as the other side of the spectrum with everyone is going to turn into a zombie hype. Don't need no lock downs. A common sense unified message where all the competent authorities actually agree and give folks confidence in the vaccine's without brow beating or shaming or getting an attitude. Too many messages, too many conflict and are not helpful.

disneygeek90

I’m interested in what the vaccine mandates do in regards to booster shots. Will Disney consider someone that’s a year after their second shot still fully vaccinated?

BuddyThomas

Lacking even basic civility I'm afraid is becoming more common. Yesterday I was in a drive-through line for a simple sausage and egg biscuit and experienced a crazed customer. She ordered an apple pie, didn't like it got a second one, didn't like it, was offered a refund and began screaming at the employee that she demanded a fresh cooked pie. A bit of cursing later when handed the cost of the pie, she threw it back at the employee and refused to drive away, so the police had to be called. All over a 99 cent snack.
Yup. Humanity is losing its collective mind. I’m in a diner right now and some guy just walked in to eat and the waitress said “Okay but I have to tell you that we close at 7:30, to which he screamed “What kind of F-ing diner closes at 7:30?!?!” And he stormed out, slamming the door so hard I thought the glass was going to break. Now, while he actually had a good point (because what kind of diner does close at 7:30?), what kind of way is that to act? And since I come here all the time, the reason they close at 7:30 is that they cannot currently find staff to keep it open later. Sheesh.

JoeCamel

Yup. Humanity is losing its collective mind. I’m in a diner right now and some guy just walked in to eat and the waitress said “Okay but I have to tell you that we close at 7:30, to which he screamed “What kind of F-ing diner closes at 7:30?!?!” And he stormed out, slamming the door so hard I thought the glass was going to break. Now, while he actually had a good point (because what kind of diner does close at 7:30?), what kind of way is that to act? And since I come here all the time, the reason they close at 7:30 is that they cannot currently find staff to keep it open later. Sheesh.
I've seen several with a closing early, short staffed, they need a break signs

ArmoredRodent

Funny how I have tracked this thread for a year and I can absolutely predict what each poster will say. Except one who said vaccine passport at least once a day at least 2 months after it was obvious than no such thing would happen in FL. WAKE UP! No one is changing their views.
This was a ways back in the thread -- always a danger with mega-threads like this one, but could I just point out that these discussions can and DO make a difference to people? You strengthen raw steel by annealing it, which means you heat it up red hot, and then beat on it with a big hammer, rinse, repeat (literally), again and again. (I worked my way through college working in a sheet metal factory, and it stuck with me.) Same with ideas. Challenge and defense, done correctly (generally meaning with knowledge and respect), works wonders to identify areas of agreement and disagreement, and then to explore both.

Has it worked in this thread? Not always, but at least a few times important information has been successfully passed and minds have been changed. For example, Heppenheimer, a medical doctor and active poster, explained succinctly the actual immune process so that people could understand the multi-level nature of our immune systems and what that meant for vaccine effectiveness, then calmly answered specific questions without condemning the questioner, and basically halted weird posts in that area (at least until new people joined in without reading the earlier posts). As an experienced U.S. Supreme Court practitioner, I have done the same with Constitutional questions and the U.S. Supreme Court cases about vaccine and mask mandates and "rights." Those posts have basically stopped and I haven't had to do that since the the cruise line decision came down; even better, others have started posting their thoughts on new legal developments using the correct legal doctrines instead of blind, unsupported assumptions and media clickbait. For example, I didn't have to add anything to another poster's description of the effect of the recent rejection by Justice Amy Coney Barrett of the Emergency Petition for Supreme Court review filed in the Indiana University students challenge to a mask requirement, because that poster got it generally correct. There are others who have done the same in other areas. Annealing ideas works, and all of those participating in this thread have done that, to a greater or lesser degree.

Yes, it is annoying and tedious sometimes, and sometimes it flat-out doesn't work. But this thread has moved the ball forward, and provided significant new information and analysis. On Saturday, I cancelled a outdoor neighborhood potluck picnic that draws hundreds of people (and has been going on for 49 years) because our case count jumped by more than 10% in a WEEK and county health officials would have required us to check vaccination cards and require masks and social distancing. We are an all-volunteer organization, and, if we were to follow the health guidance we received, we could not have held the picnic without a stronger security presence than we were willing to provide. It was a painful decision that took over a week of debate to hammer out, but I was comforted, in part, by the information provided in this thread. And I thank all of those who have participated here, even those I disagreed with, to explore the issues that ultimately I had to deal with in the real world in real time.

JoeCamel

This was a ways back in the thread -- always a danger with mega-threads like this one, but could I just point out that these discussions can and DO make a difference to people? You strengthen raw steel by annealing it, which means you heat it up red hot, and then beat on it with a big hammer, rinse, repeat (literally), again and again. (I worked my way through college working in a sheet metal factory, and it stuck with me.) Same with ideas. Challenge and defense, done correctly (generally meaning with knowledge and respect), works wonders to identify areas of agreement and disagreement, and then to explore both.

Has it worked in this thread? Not always, but at least a few times important information has been successfully passed and minds have been changed. For example, Heppenheimer, a medical doctor and active poster, explained succinctly the actual immune process so that people could understand the multi-level nature of our immune systems and what that meant for vaccine effectiveness, then calmly answered specific questions without condemning the questioner, and basically halted weird posts in that area (at least until new people joined in without reading the earlier posts). As an experienced U.S. Supreme Court practitioner, I have done the same with Constitutional questions and the U.S. Supreme Court cases about vaccine and mask mandates and "rights." Those posts have basically stopped and I haven't had to do that since the the cruise line decision came down; even better, others have started posting their thoughts on new legal developments using the correct legal doctrines instead of blind, unsupported assumptions and media clickbait. For example, I didn't have to add anything to another poster's description of the effect of the recent rejection by Justice Amy Coney Barrett of the Emergency Petition for Supreme Court review filed in the Indiana University students challenge to a mask requirement, because that poster got it generally correct. There are others who have done the same in other areas. Annealing ideas works, and all of those participating in this thread have done that, to a greater or lesser degree.

Yes, it is annoying and tedious sometimes, and sometimes it flat-out doesn't work. But this thread has moved the ball forward, and provided significant new information and analysis. On Saturday, I cancelled a outdoor neighborhood potluck picnic that draws hundreds of people (and has been going on for 49 years) because our case count jumped by more than 10% in a WEEK and county health officials would have required us to check vaccination cards and require masks and social distancing. We are an all-volunteer organization, and, if we were to follow the health guidance we received, we could not have held the picnic without a stronger security presence than we were willing to provide. It was a painful decision that took over a week of debate to hammer out, but I was comforted, in part, by the information provided in this thread. And I thank all of those who have participated here, even those I disagreed with, to explore the issues that ultimately I had to deal with in the real world in real time.
Man, these lawyers can put up some prose. Ever notice who makes the longest posts?
I'm kidding, thanks to you and others for distilling the information to a form most can absorb. It has deepened my understanding of where we are and where we need to be headed to drop all the measures and get back to discussing theme park ducks.
Thanks again to you and the others.

Gringrinngghost

2021-08-23 19_04_56-CDC COVID Data Tracker.png

1629761873836.png

Timmay

Not sure how accurate that is? My mom works in healthcare and her entire complex is scheduled for boosters on Oct 4.
Directly from the CDC website.

• People who have compromised immune systems may benefit from an additional dose to make sure they have enough protection against COVID-19.
  • CDC recommends people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised should receive an additional dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine after the initial 2 doses.
  • This additional dose intended to improve immunocompromised people’s response to their initial vaccine series is not the same as a booster dose, given to people when the immune response to a primary vaccine series is likely to have waned over time.
  • CDC does not recommend additional doses or booster shots for any other population at this time.

Tony the Tigger

This is a great time to live in Southern Orange County 😫

I all seriousness, it is bad here. Nearly half of my department has been infected over the last few weeks. Parents are getting calls every day about new cases at school. We are starting either proof of vaccination or mandatory weekly testing at work soon. Offices don't want everyone working from home but they don't want everyone sick either.

The person that I was "close contact" to is still miserable 12 days later. She is unvaccinated and relatively young and healthy.
Broward is the same. It can feel like it’s closing in.

In a private group on this board, I started posting pics of posts by my own fb friends - averaged 4 per day, either announcing they were positive, relaying how miserable they felt, or offering condolences for someone who had passed.

A few days of those were too much.

I was feeling crummy and took a test today; it was negative.

An hour or two later, someone close tested positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom