News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Chi84

Premium Member
While I don't have any problems with the new policy, this is going to be an issue for Disney going forward, at least early on.

It's going to be difficult to have mid-level managers deciding which tattoos are appropriate and which are not, because different people are going to have different ideas about appropriateness. There are going to be some complaints from CMs (or potential CMs) as to why their tattoo is unacceptable when this other tattoo that CM has is okay. It will likely sort itself out in the long run as things get escalated to a higher level and the guidelines become more statutory, but I'm sure there will be some growing pains.
There may be problems, but Disney will handle them just like any other employer out there trying to be more inclusive. Obviously, Disney believes this is a worthwhile policy and is willing to deal with the difficulties.

UNCgolf

There may be problems, but Disney will handle them just like any other employer out there trying to be more inclusive. Obviously, Disney believes this is a worthwhile policy and is willing to deal with the difficulties.

I agree -- as I said, as time passes, the guidelines will become more defined as these issues are ironed out through appeals to higher authorities in the company. There will be growing pains at the start but any problems will eventually go away for the most part.

I wasn't suggesting they were wrong to change the policy and I have no problem with it; I just expect to hear about some CM complaints for a bit.

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

So all they need is a Disney Parks polo and a name tag
I mean, I'd prefer just allow tattoos and non-white hairstyles and still require costumes.

But then again, when I saw this story today I thought "oh, that's nice. They're getting with the times", not "oh no, there goes theming". (no shade intended - just different people focus on different things)

Amidala

This is a ridiculous comparison of unlike things. The brand image Walt built was not built by looking bacwards 55 years.. he built a brand image of his choosing. To try to take time shifted since, to have any say in how he chose his brand image is comparing apples and bricks. A logical fallacy.

But by your logic... why should anyone care about ideas if the person is more than 50 years ago. Guess that whole concept of the founding fathers must really feel pointless in your take on things.. I mean after all, ideas from almost 250 years ago! Pointless! Throwing out ideas simply because of age...

Yes things should adapt with current society - but one must also decide what things are core to your brand or company's ideals... Chose wisely.

Yes, Walt built a brand image of his choosing...66 years ago. And like it or not, his perceptions of what is appropriate and what is not were heavily influenced by fashion conventions of the day, not to mention DRASTIC differences in how people of that period expressed their gender and sexuality, and/or race and ethnicity through their hair, clothes, etc. You can maintain the basic conceit of hiring CMs who are cleanly and well groomed and polite while adjusting specifics for the modern era without completely "throwing away" everything the company stands for.

Also, no we haven't dismissed the founding fathers, but they also built amendments into the Constitution for a reason, so...I think that just supports the point you're arguing against. You can retain your basic/core mission statement over a long period of time but it needs to be continuously updated to remain relevant.

TrainsOfDisney

I mean, I'd prefer just allow tattoos and non-white hairstyles and still require costumes.

But then again, when I saw this story today I thought "oh, that's nice. They're getting with the times", not "oh no, there goes theming". (no shade intended - just different people focus on different things)
Tattoos aren’t about theming - they are about the “Disney look” and “Disney difference.”

But so are costumes vs. polo shirts.

If you take away anything unique about the “Disney Look” it’s not the Disney look anymore is it?

Tony Perkis

Tattoos aren’t about theming - they are about the “Disney look” and “Disney difference.”

But so are costumes vs. polo shirts.

If you take away anything unique about the “Disney Look” it’s not the Disney look anymore is it?
So, you have an issue with people with Tron Lightcycle tattoos on their limbs when working on the Tron ride?

JeffH

Inclusion?!?!? Disney just fired someone for being a conservative!?!?! I thought this country had done away with discrimination, next they will fire Christians, and only hire those who back abortions. DISNEY SHOULD STAY OUT OF POLITICS, AND HIRE THE BEST QUALIFIED AND SUITED FOR THE JOB. Soon Snow White will have tattoos, be a guy and weigh 400lbs.

Tony Perkis

Inclusion?!?!? Disney just fired someone for being a conservative!?!?! I thought this country had done away with discrimination, next they will fire Christians, and only hire those who back abortions. DISNEY SHOULD STAY OUT OF POLITICS, AND HIRE THE BEST QUALIFIED AND SUITED FOR THE JOB. Soon Snow White will have tattoos, be a guy and weigh 400lbs.
They didn’t fire anyone. They chose not to renew a contract because that person violated their best practices standard.

Disney isn’t going to have a 400 pound white guy with tats play Tinkerbell and Snow White. Those are characters with specific image similarities that need to be maintained. No reason a Jungle Cruise skipper can’t have an appropriate tat. Hell, the star of the film adaptation is tatted to all hell.

Some of you need to stop with this nonsense. You’re being ridiculous.

TrainsOfDisney

So, you have an issue with people with Tron Lightcycle tattoos on their limbs when working on the Tron ride?
I’m not sure what point you are trying to make? I would personally judge anyone with a tron tatoo though that’s for sure! :p
I'm totally on board with not allowing CMs to have tattoos. Keep those U.S. veterans out of the park!!
CM’s have had tatoos - they just couldn’t be visible to guests while on stage. You know that of course. :)

Stevie Amsterdam

The last message I read before going to bed was about concerns around tattoos... this is the message I wake up too. That escalated quickly 🥴

TP2000

This is simply the lowering of standards. People may squawk and yell at that as if it's not the case, but it's the truth.

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, as another example of a company that still has high standards. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

Disneyland used to have standards like that. It was all part of making sure Disneyland was the star, and everything else (including employees) were merely in the supporting role.

"Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney, 1961

But that old Walt idea is unfashionable now. Now, it's... Every Role A Starring Role! Every CM flipping burgers or waving a flashlight at parade crowds or cleaning out the oil from the bottom of the popcorn machine is a STAR! (SPOILER: They actually aren't, and their company doesn't treat them like a star, but let's pretend and maybe they won't notice?):rolleyes:

All Disney has done here is lower the standards of Disney theme park CM's to that of Wal-Mart or McDonald's employees. Disney CM's no longer have to live up to higher standards like In-N-Out Burger. It's not really a surprise, as it's been happening in the US parks for over 20 years now. Lower maintenance standards, lower customer service standards, lower showmanship standards. This is simply the latest step down to lower standards; now including employee grooming and appearance.

Not surprisingly, none of these new appearance rules apply at Tokyo Disneyland. They still have higher standards there.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

This is simply the lowering of standards. People may squawk and yell at that as if it's not the case, but it's the truth.

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous. Disneyland used to have standards like that.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, for another. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

All Disney has done here is lower the standards of Disney theme park CM's to that of Wal-Mart or McDonald's employees. Disney CM's no longer have to live up to higher standards like In-N-Out Burger. It's not really a surprise, as it's been happening in the US parks for over 20 years now. Lower maintenance standards, lower customer service standards, lower showmanship standards. This is simply the latest step down to lower standards; now including employee grooming and appearance.

Not surprisingly, none of these new appearance rules apply at Tokyo Disneyland. They still have higher standards there.
I look forward to Disney allowing Pete Davidson to work on Space Mountain with his Mars Attacks chest logo.
/s

Stevie Amsterdam

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous. Disneyland used to have standards like that.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, for another. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

Well, seems like you will be swapping your home parks for Tokyo then? JK 😂

TP2000

I look forward to Disney allowing Pete Davidson to work on Space Mountain with his Mars Attacks chest logo.
/s

Are CM's supposed to only show tats that theme to their ride or work location?

You keep using examples of CM's wearing tats that somehow theme to their environment. Does a creepy face tat of someones abuelita theme to the experience at Casey's Corner or Spaceship Earth?

The number of CM's who have tats themed to a Disney attraction or theme must be very, very small. Most tats are of stylish 21st century pop culture references, or rather personal issues related only to the person with that tat.

Meanwhile, in Tokyo... 🤣

Tony Perkis

Are CM's supposed to only show tats that theme to their ride or work location?

You keep using examples of CM's wearing tats that somehow theme to their environment. Does a creepy face tat of someones abuelita theme to the experience at Casey's Corner or Spaceship Earth?

The number of CM's who have tats themed to a Disney attraction or theme must be very, very small. Most tats are of stylish 21st century pop culture references, or rather personal issues related only to the person with that tat.

Meanwhile, in Tokyo... 🤣
If you can provide me an example, ever, that a creepy tattoo was allowed and will further be allowed that destroys the illusion of the parks, you’d have a point.

But that example doesn’t exist, and very likely won’t, even though multiple attractions actually would benefit from the cast displaying appropriate tattoos.

Otherwise, this is nonsensical fearmongering.

TP2000

If you can provide me an example, ever, that a creepy tattoo was allowed and will further be allowed that destroys the illusion of the parks, you’d have a point.

But that example doesn’t exist, and very likely won’t, even though multiple attractions actually would benefit from the cast displaying appropriate tattoos.

Otherwise, this is nonsensical fearmongering.

"Cast displaying appropriate tattoos"...

So, are you under the impression that tatted up CM's will be assigned to rides or lands where their tats theme to the environment?

Or that a tatted up CM will only be assigned to work at a location where their tat themes to the story?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom