Golden era of World Showcase

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're basically tourist pastries -- the kind of thing you'll find at zoos, theme parks, etc. That doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere, but I've been to Toronto many times and the only place I've seen them there are in tourist spots.

So although they are definitely delicious, they're probably not all that different than the aforementioned caramel in Germany example. They just sponsored a stand at EPCOT.

They were better than what they’ve got now...which is a common statement round these parts

UNCgolf

They were better than what they’ve got now...which is a common statement round these parts

Yeah, I'm not saying it was wrong to have them there or anything -- it is a Canadian company, after all.

Just that it's not really a reflection of Canadian culture. Most Canadians have probably had one a handful of times in their life at most. My GF is from Toronto and didn't even know what they were until actually seeing the sign and then said more or less what I said above about basically being a tourist trap snack.

It's a Montreal company, though, so they may be a bigger, more widespread thing in Quebec.

Heppenheimer

They're basically tourist food -- the kind of thing you find at zoos, theme parks, etc. That doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere, but I've been to Toronto many times and the only place I've seen them there are in tourist spots.

So although they are definitely delicious, they're probably not all that different than the aforementioned caramel in Germany example. They just sponsored a stand at EPCOT.
That seems about right. I've seen them at Mont Tremblant and Blue Mountain and nowhere else, although I wasn't looking.

aliceismad

Now, I can't imagine that any young guest would learn anything at all about Norway from Epcot, much less be intrigued enough to want to travel there.
That's not always true. My kid was fascinated by the Norse mythology. I do wonder if there are guests who confuse the actual Norse mythology with the Marvel characters of Thor, Odin, and Loki.

UNCgolf

That seems about right. I've seen them at Mont Tremblant and Blue Mountain and nowhere else, although I wasn't looking.

I actually looked at their list of locations out of curiosity. The ones in Toronto are at the zoo, an amusement park, a water park, and then three lakefront shopping/entertainment areas. So that definitely seems to be their market.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Personally I would say now. While the IP invasion is unfortunate they have more rides than ever before. There’s less stereotyping than say the merchants in El rio deal tiempo or the original O Canada, and good restaurant additions like Via Napoli and Spice Road Table.

“More rides than ever before”? What rides have been added since Maelstrom? Rat doesn’t count as it’s not open yet.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just incase you weren't aware, using the laugh emoji in response to serious posts is against the rules here now. I've been warned by @The Mom about this. I'm sure you didn't know. :)

Does switching to the angry reaction with no additional comments added count as well? Since you brought it up and seem to be a chief abuser of those reaction emojis without actually providing any input as to why.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Anyway... I’d vote for 1989-1995. Although I will admit we did not visit most of WS during those years, except for a few attractions. My parents only did the walk for Mexico and AmAd and didn’t bother much with the rest. Sadly.

JIMINYCR

I'm going by how we were entertained, got the most enjoyment, and were more impressed by what we got out of visiting the park. 1999 - early 2000s when Disney featured the Millennium celebration with Tapestry of Nations and had Illuminations. We had Off Kilter, the Chinese acrobats, Sergio the juggler, Fife and Drum corps, World showcase performers, and much more. It was time when there was more reason to stay around than to eat and drink. We had a reason to take the time to explore, have fun and come away wanting to return another day.

Heppenheimer

I'm going by how we were entertained, got the most enjoyment, and were more impressed by what we got out of visiting the park. 1999 - early 2000s when Disney featured the Millennium celebration with Tapestry of Nations and had Illuminations. We had Off Kilter, the Chinese acrobats, Sergio the juggler, Fife and Drum corps, World showcase performers, and much more. It was time when there was more reason to stay around than to eat and drink. We had a reason to take the time to explore, have fun and come away wanting to return another day.
What part of that does Bob Chapek not get?

castlecake2.0

Have you spent time in the tourist areas of Tijuana, Mexico City, or the resort/cruise destinations? If the "blatant stereotype" of the culture is based on truth you may find it a "negative depiction", but there was a logical reason it was used as that was a very common experience for a tourist who visited Mexico's key tourist locations that are being depicted in the attraction.

(Angry face in 3...2....1....)
Let’s re theme the American Adventure as the sketchy tourist strip of 192 then, it’s a very common experience for tourists visiting the area

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom