Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Heppenheimer

Yellow armbands? Maybe a plastic band that has an rfid chip you could wear on your wrist with a link to your information when scanned?
Slippery slope here
This isn't exactly a new idea. We've long since required proof of vaccination for school attendance. People arriving to the US and EU from certain countries also require proof of vaccination. Modern passports contain encoded personal information. The idea of a scannable device is simply to make a universal standard that is quick and easy to verify. And like the old yellow vaccination booklets, the only information contained in here would be your basic personal identifiers and vaccination status. No other health or financial information.

Heppenheimer

But to answer the original question, even if my employer did not require it (which I presume they will), as soon as the vaccine passes FDA scrutiny, I would line up to receive the vaccine. This has gone on long enough. We will soon have the unique chance to end this pestilence and return somewhat back to the way things were before. We all need to do our part. Although I have classical liberal leanings, this is one of the those rare examples in modern history where our liberty is threatened by an external threat that must be dealt with by collective action.

DisneyTransport

This isn't exactly a new idea. We've long since required proof of vaccination for school attendance. People arriving to the US and EU from certain countries also require proof of vaccination. Modern passports contain encoded personal information. The idea of a scannable device is simply to make a universal standard that is quick and easy to verify. And like the old yellow vaccination booklets, the only information contained in here would be your basic personal identifiers and vaccination status. No other health or financial information.
Nah we wont need anything. These vaccines will have government ID chips in them to track us wherever we go. *puts on tin foil hat*
All joking aside, im guessing a simple card from the place of vaccination with a signature or stamp will be required for A FEW places for only a LIMITED time. I cant see this becoming common place. But i can see the covid vaccine being added to the standard list of requirements for say, getting a dorm room in college.

Epcot_Imagineer

Nah we wont need anything. These vaccines will have government ID chips in them to track us wherever we go. *puts on tin foil hat*
All joking aside, im guessing a simple card from the place of vaccination with a signature or stamp will be required for A FEW places for only a LIMITED time. I cant see this becoming common place. But i can see the covid vaccine being added to the standard list of requirements for say, getting a dorm room in college.
I traveled to Brazil a few years back, they had a bad wave of yellow fever going around so I had to get the vaccine for it to enter the country. I had to carry around something similar to get through their airports, it was a notarized passport type thing from my doctor, which the person who checked my passport also stamped when going into the country.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Excellent news. This now gives us 2 possible viable vaccines that both appear to be highly effective. The numbers could still change a little as both trials need to get to 151 total infections but with cases raging they probably will get there pretty soon as they both were at 94 and 95 cases.

This vaccine has even more promise as it can be stored in a normal freezer for 6 months and a refrigerator for 30 days. This could essentially be shipped to your local CVS to be distributed similar to a flu shot. I would imagine they can now ship the Pfizer vaccine to places equipped with the right freezers and ship Moderna’s vaccine to places that aren’t equipped to handle the Pfizer one. It’s also possible that Pfizer gets their powder version of their vaccine ready to roll by sometime early next year.

For science geeks and history buffs, remember where you were when you heard that each of these vaccines released early positive results. If the vaccines get rolled out the first half of next year and we beat this pandemic there‘s a good chance this vaccine development process goes down as one of the greatest scientific achievements of all time. It must be so excitong for the scientists at these companies who have worked round the clock for months in a pandemic to achieve these results.

Goofyernmost

I'll admit to not being completely versed on the virus, but it seems to me that being vaccinated will not prevent you from being a carrier, but will protect you from getting sick from it. I would think that something airborne can still be transmitted by someone that is not testing positive but had contact with someone that was testing positive. It seems that until it is down to zero it will still be in the air, vaccinated we won't worry about ourselves getting sick but those without the vaccination will need to remain exercising some degree of prevention. Pretty much the same thing that non-maskers think now.

DisneyTransport

Excellent news. This now gives us 2 possible viable vaccines that both appear to be highly effective. The numbers could still change a little as both trials need to get to 151 total infections but with cases raging they probably will get there pretty soon as they both were at 94 and 95 cases.

This vaccine has even more promise as it can be stored in a normal freezer for 6 months and a refrigerator for 30 days. This could essentially be shipped to your local CVS to be distributed similar to a flu shot. I would imagine they can now ship the Pfizer vaccine to places equipped with the right freezers and ship Moderna’s vaccine to places that aren’t equipped to handle the Pfizer one. It’s also possible that Pfizer gets their powder version of their vaccine ready to roll by sometime early next year.

For science geeks and history buffs, remember where you were when you heard that each of these vaccines released early positive results. If the vaccines get rolled out the first half of next year and we beat this pandemic there‘s a good chance this vaccine development process goes down as one of the greatest scientific achievements of all time. It must be so excitong for the scientists at these companies who have worked round the clock for months in a pandemic to achieve these results.
Hopefully everything works out and the groups that developed them get recognized. Also hoping this inspires future generations to focus on science and for appropriate groups to take research more seriously!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hopefully everything works out and the groups that developed them get recognized. Also hoping this inspires future generations to focus on science and for appropriate groups to take research more seriously!
These 2 vaccines are the first and second ever mRNA vaccines proven effective. This has the real potential to be a game changer in future vaccine development.

JoeCamel

But to answer the original question, even if my employer did not require it (which I presume they will), as soon as the vaccine passes FDA scrutiny, I would line up to receive the vaccine. This has gone on long enough. We will soon have the unique chance to end this pestilence and return somewhat back to the way things were before. We all need to do our part. Although I have classical liberal leanings, this is one of the those rare examples in modern history where our liberty is threatened by an external threat that must be dealt with by collective action.
I was thinking magic bands for all

Heppenheimer

I'll admit to not being completely versed on the virus, but it seems to me that being vaccinated will not prevent you from being a carrier, but will protect you from getting sick from it. I would think that something airborne can still be transmitted by someone that is not testing positive but had contact with someone that was testing positive. It seems that until it is down to zero it will still be in the air, vaccinated we won't worry about ourselves getting sick but those without the vaccination will need to remain exercising some degree of prevention. Pretty much the same thing that non-maskers think now.
I don't know if any of the trials going on right now have the scope to answer this question. In general, determining if someone is infectious or not and to what degree involves performing live viral cultures, which require a higher level of biohazard protection that most hospital research centers can support. From what we know from other viruses, though, even if the viral burden of the vaccinated person is merely greatly reduced, this will offer a large degree of protection for unvaccinated individuals.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
One other aspect of the vaccine that is promising. For Moderna they had 95 participants get infected, 90 from the placebo group and 5 from the vaccine group. Of the 5 in the vaccine group none had severe Covid symptoms but of the 90 in the placebo group 11 had severe symptoms. There seems to be a good possibility that even for those who get the vaccine but get infected anyway the infection is milder. This would be similar to the flu shot where there’s some level of reduced symptoms even if the vaccine failed to keep you from being infected.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I believe once you have been vaccinated the virus can still enter your body, but your immune system will keep it from reproducing, or at least dramatically reduce the amount of reproduction thus making you less likely to transmit the virus to someone else.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not really, then it is on the folks that decide to not get the vaccine. As individuals the vaccination prevents us from being affected, so if others decide that they don't want the vaccine it is up to them to do what they need to do to protect themselves. If they decide not to, and they get Covid who would they think should be responsible for their condition. It is an entire different situation. 60% that decide to protect themselves are not responsible for the 40% that do not.
Long term I agree with this 100%. Once the vaccine is readily available if people choose to not get it then it’s on them. The rest of the world can’t continue to restrict businesses and require masks everywhere. Hopefully the number is much higher than 60% but we will have to see how well the messaging is done to get people to take the vaccine. There is going to be a period of time between the first vaccines and when everyone who wants it has gotten it that is going to be a tough time. Resistance to masks and distancing will only grow as more and more people are vaccinated and want to return to normal. Hopefully it’s only a matter of months but its probably coming either way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
While I think it should be noted that this press release has not been peer reviewed, I do think it's an extraordinary step forward, and I hope this and the many other vaccines in development help us move toward a safer world. Definitely hoping a Disney trip is a possibility for my little family by next fall or 2022.

BTW, the NYT has a vaccine tracker up that I found pretty fascinating for a layperson. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html
Peer reviewed press release???
The data has not been formalized in a report and peer reviewed. The press releases are an attempt to be as transparent as possible in the process. In a normal vaccine trial we would probably not hear about results until they published the findings and it was peer reviewed.

LastoneOn

The data has not been formalized in a report and peer reviewed. The press releases are an attempt to be as transparent as possible in the process. In a normal vaccine trial we would probably not hear about results until they published the findings and it was peer reviewed.
So Alice means the report/data not the press release itself. Ok np.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
So Alice means the report/data not the press release itself. Ok np.
That’s my assumption. I think it’s valid to want to wait and see the formal results too. I am especially interested in seeing the demographic breakdowns and also the full safety profile. I think we will get all of that in the next few weeks as both trials reach the 2 month milestone for safety and they formally apply for emergency use. So far things look very promising but the devil is in the details. That detailed data should hopefully go a long way towards easing the minds of people who are on the fence about getting vaccine.

LastoneOn

That’s my assumption. I think it’s valid to want to wait and see the formal results too. I am especially interested in seeing the demographic breakdowns and also the full safety profile. I think we will get all of that in the next few weeks as both trials reach the 2 month milestone for safety and they formally apply for emergency use. So far things look very promising but the devil is in the details. That detailed data should hopefully go a long way towards easing the minds of people who are on the fence about getting vaccine.
The efficacy number is very high, so even if that got chopped in half we'd down to the regular flu shot range. Which is much better than nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom