I'm Hungry

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
We ARE going September 20, 2020 and are willing to accept the cutbacks. Full disclosure--we are NOT night owls, so the lack of fireworks is not a deal breaker. I can take or leave a parade, we are adults, so no character requirements. I was looking forward to watching the Electrical Pageant from Wilderness Lodge, but no biggie.

The cutback that concerns me most is FOOD. I'm not thrilled with the limited menus, but I can deal. What has me bummed is the large number of quick service places that are closed. Options are severely limited in each park. We love Columbia Harbour House and really don't like Cosmic Ray's, but Ray's is about the only place for a non-reservation meal in MK.

I'm missing walk-up fish and chips in Epcot. Sunshine Seasons seems to be one of the few options--and posted menus show about 6 entrees rather than 6 restaurant options.

I fear we will starve at Animal Kingdom. We are not adventurous eaters, and I'm from KC, and while I'm not xenophobic about BBQ, I'm somewhat over it. (Disney seems to have transitioned to pulled pork in a BIG way).
I've looked at the Food and Wine menus--won't work for my group.

Got a reservation for Liberty Tree, Rose and Crown, Garden Grill, and 50's Prime Time.

My party includes an ECV, so leaving parks to go to resorts will be too cumbersome and time-consuming in a world with limited park hours.

Thanks for listening.

Chicken Guy

Below is a list of currently open quick service locations according to recently updated park maps:

MK:
  • Pecos Bill's
  • Pinocchio's Village Haus
  • Cosmic Ray's
EPCOT:
  • Sunshine Seasons
  • La Cantina De San Angel (Mexico)
  • Regal Eagle Smokehouse (USA)
  • Katsura Grill (Japan)
  • Tangierine Cafe (Morocco)
HWS:
  • Backlot Express
  • PizzeRizzo
  • Docking Bay 7
  • Rosie's All-American Cafe
AK:
  • Flame Tree Barbecue
  • Satu'li Canteen
  • Yak & Yeti Local Food Cafes
  • Restaurantasaurus

There is a chance I may have missed a couple, and I have omitted smaller locations that are basically just walk-up windows (e.g. Sleepy Hollow in Liberty Square). I do not know if Be Our Guest is open for quick service.

You have stated that you wouldn't like to leave the parks for food, but do not forget just how close the EPCOT resorts are to the international gateway in World Showcase. If all else fails, there may be one or two eateries of interest at the Boardwalk or Yacht and Beach Clubs.

As for Animal Kingdom, I hear the Cheeseburger Pods are back on the Adult Menu at Satu'li Canteen; regardless, their bowls are absolutely delicious and not nearly as exotic as they appear, at least not as exotic as the food at Jungle Skipper Canteen in MK (Save for the boba balls; they're odd to me, but there's few and I just pick them off). Restaurantasaurus is safe, and Yak and Yeti quick service serves pretty Americanized Chinese/Asian food. I'd imagine that Flame Tree is not under your consideration.

Good luck with finding food. I haven't combed over the reduced menus, but I'm sure these places must have something you and your party will enjoy. And we're on the same page about no Colombia Harbor House :(

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
As far as Animal Kingdom, I'm a suuuuper picky eater and Satu'li Canteen is my favorite quick service on property. Their bowls give quite a bit of room for customization and I've always had a good experience with Cast Members there if I want simple modifications (like veggie slaw being left off, as an example).

Hopefully more things will start to open up and have less limited menus by the time your trip rolls around though! :)

Shouldigo12

Hi hungry, I'm dad. (Sorry, the temptation was too great).

Your trip isn't until September, so that means there's at least a few months for things to open back up. In the event that they don't though, you have a few options. You could pack some sandwiches or something to eat, or you could try having a big breakfast, having a snack or two while in the parks, and returning to the resort in the evening for dinner.

jaklgreen

I usually eat at Pecos Bills when at MK, and I can easily survive eating the chicken shawarma from Tangierine Cafe. It would be nice to have more variety, but I completely understand wanting all of the choices back. Epcot does have the benefit of having all of the food booths also. They really need the booths at all parks for the variety alone. MK probably has the worst counter service food next to HS. We are not picky people and can find something to eat no matter where we go. The best advice that I can give you is to try something new. Most of the time the menu descriptions make something sound more "exotic" then it really is. I have yet to have any food at WDW that would be considered odd or different. Like my Mom used to say, "try it, you might like it".

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
I usually eat at Pecos Bills when at MK, and I can easily survive eating the chicken shawarma from Tangierine Cafe. It would be nice to have more variety, but I completely understand wanting all of the choices back. Epcot does have the benefit of having all of the food booths also. They really need the booths at all parks for the variety alone. MK probably has the worst counter service food next to HS. We are not picky people and can find something to eat no matter where we go. The best advice that I can give you is to try something new. Most of the time the menu descriptions make something sound more "exotic" then it really is. I have yet to have any food at WDW that would be considered odd or different. Like my Mom used to say, "try it, you might like it".

Pecos Bills is definitely in the plan--even without the fixins' bar we should be fine. I agree with your mother about trying something new. But....we are traveling with my 81-year old father who has earned the right to say, "Nope...not eatin' that." He is more of a 50's Prime Time kind of guy--meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

That said, I did look more carefully at Satu'li Canteen and think it might work.

Lord Starwalker

At AK get a reservation for lunch at Tiffins. Yack & Yeti is also a good option.

At MK Be Our Guest is open and so is Skipper Canteen.

It sounds like you already have Epcot and DHS figured out. Although passing up the opportunity to enjoy the Hawaii booth at the Food & Wine Festival seems like a mistake.

jaklgreen

Pecos Bills is definitely in the plan--even without the fixins' bar we should be fine. I agree with your mother about trying something new. But....we are traveling with my 81-year old father who has earned the right to say, "Nope...not eatin' that." He is more of a 50's Prime Time kind of guy--meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

That said, I did look more carefully at Satu'li Canteen and think it might work.

It is a struggle as you get older because many things do not taste good to you anymore. My 93yo grandmother is down to eating bread dipped in her tea and that's pretty much it. It is great that your dad is still going on trips. Have fun.

DVCakaCarlF

Can’t stand Peco’s...that smell.

jaklgreen

Honestly, Disney doesn’t have anything that’s exotic or spice for that matter. It’s for the masses.

I 100% agree with this. Even places like the Moroccan restaurant has been Americanized. I have not seen anything that has made me think, "this food is really out there."

Lord Starwalker

Some of the food offerings over at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kadani Village are very good. Have you ever dined at Sanaa? The African Indian fusion dishes on the menu have some very unique flavors.
AKL also has the largest collection of South African wine in North America.

Raglan Road's menu at Disney Springs is authentically Irish and very well prepared. The dishes on the menu were created by Kevin Dundon, an Irish celebrity chef.

Chicken Guy

The same people who think Olive Garden is good Italian food think SC is exotic. ;)
Hey, cut Skipper Canteen some slack! It’s not like it’s burgers and fries or comfort food or anything. Some of the items there are pretty unorthodox for the average American palette.

Archie123

And the same people who don't come from NJ/NY think that the pizza they eat in FL advertised as "NY Style Pizza" is the real deal.😒

Hey Anthony’s coal fired pizza is just like Ray’s in NY. And feel free to pick any Ray’s you want as they all seemingly are named Ray’s.

Chicken Guy

What is gods name is unorthodox on that menu.
2020-07-25 (2).png

Menu Transcript from the DIS.

Here's the menu, and yes, there are some safer items there. But the average American does not typically eat tofu, or octopus, or cassava, or lamb, or kimchi, or farofa because these are typically Latin, African, or Asian cuisine as the restaurant advertises. I personally recall trying falafel for the first time here. Yes, I recognize that things like the "A lot at Steak" and the "Tastes like Chicken" are relatively accessible, but that does not make the whole menu uninspired and dull.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom