Cash-Strapped Disney

Mainahman

@WDW Pro While some of it makes sense, take AKL for example. None of the cash rooms are opening any time soon. Any idea how long they leave some of these resorts that are fairly popular closed? WIll they continue the In progress refurb of ALL stars?

WDF

Sure, but the number of people who have read Harry Potter or seen the movies absolutely dwarfs the number of people who have read that Black Spire novel. Hundreds of millions versus maybe hundreds of thousands.

But really it's about the visuals they know from the films. And the attractions in Galaxy's Edge bring the films to life, so I'm good. And I love the land and ambiance as well...to each their own. I read the book after visiting the land the first time. I liked it the first time because of Star Wars, the book just gave it a more lived in feel. I think people walk through there quickly and miss a lot. You can't please everyone.

Brer Oswald

I’m interested to see how non-Mario fans are going to receive the Mushroom Kingdom Land. Me personally? I don’t like the look of it. Too blocky. Looks like it was just ripped out of the generic games. But I’ll still enjoy it cause I like the IP.

Touchdown

I’m interested to see how non-Mario fans are going to receive the Mushroom Kingdom Land. Me personally? I don’t like the look of it. Too blocky. Looks like it was just ripped out of the generic games. But I’ll still enjoy it cause I like the IP.

That’s where the genius lies in picking Mariokart as the main ride, it’s a competitive racing ride, you’ll get all the thrill seekers happy, and being able to hit dad with a red shell and improve your time is just going to draw people back to that ride. As long as that ride delivers on its promise there is no way it won’t be a home run for Nintendo and Universal.

And don’t forget, as of last sales report Mariokart 8 deluxe has sold 24.77 million copies. 3 people in 1000 own that game planet wide, obviously it’s even higher then that in North America. (I can’t find US sales numbers.)

Last edited:

Nubs70

I have no idea how WDW can cover fixed costs right now with the admission levels they are at. Unless their margins are greater than 1/(% current capacity).

I will be interesting to see the Q2 2020 cash burn. In theory, $DIS has [$6B/(Q2 cash burn] until they are at the financial reserves prior to Covid 19.

Mainahman

I have no idea how WDW can cover fixed costs right now with the admission levels they are at. Unless their margins are greater than 1/(% current capacity).

I will be interesting to see the Q2 2020 cash burn. In theory, $DIS has [$6B/(Q2 cash burn] until they are at the financial reserves prior to Covid 19.
Well im sure having the $$ from MLS, and NBA is helping somehow.

EricsBiscuit

Pinocchio is widely considered one of the greatest movies ever made, animated or live-action. That’s why you liked it; it’s just that good. ;)

No offense to you at all — I’m always surprised when people claim to be huge Disney fans yet haven’t seen the classics Walt himself made. (I know you said you have seen them; I’m talking about people with no interest whatsoever.) The originals are True Disney, made by either Walt himself or men and women he hand-picked. Without the classics, there’d be no Disney “magic.” If you want to understand the Castle parks and truly appreciate their depth, you have to know Walt’s own work.

If we skip over Disney’s post-Walt dark period, essentially everything since the early ‘90s Renaissance is Disney Conglomerate, a situation Eisner created and Iger expanded. Some of it is great, earning their places as modern classics. Most of it was created to sell merch. Much of it is a copy of a copy of a copy. Precious little of it is as groundbreaking as Walt’s work.
Well some of us Disney fans are parks fans. I’m a parks fan more than a Disney movie fan. For example, I was named after Prince Eric from TLM but I never saw TLM until a year AFTER the NFL expansion at MK! I’ve never seen PatF, Brave, etc. For me, Disney is the parks first, movies after.

Brer Oswald

That’s where the genius lies in picking Mariokart as the main ride, it’s a competitive racing ride, you’ll get all the thrill seekers happy, and being able to hit dad with a red shell and improve your time is just going to draw people back to that ride. As long as that ride delivers on its promise there is no way it won’t be a home run for Nintendo and Universal.

And don’t forget, as of last sales report Mariokart 8 deluxe has sold 24.77 million copies. 3 people in 1000 own that game planet wide, obviously it’s even higher then that in North America. (I can’t find IS sales numbers.)
I do think that was smart. As far as their main Mario games from the Wii U/3DS go, Mario Kart 8 would be near the top of my list. A lot of quality, and not too generic.

That being said, it would be disappointing if they never went for a “main series Super Mario” attraction. There’s a lot of breathtaking moments from the main games, particularly the Super Mario Galaxy games and parts of 64 & Odyssey, that should be experienced in a theme park setting. Not to mention the fact that those games are timeless, and have a phenomenal reputation that puts them at the top of most “Best Video Game” lists.

Brer Oswald

Well some of us Disney fans are parks fans. I’m a parks fan more than a Disney movie fan. For example, I was named after Prince Eric from TLM but I never saw TLM until a year AFTER the NFL expansion at MK! I’ve never seen PatF, Brave, etc. For me, Disney is the parks first, movies after.
My parents got me into Classic Disney due to our first trip at WDW. They showed me classic Mickey cartoons to familiarize me with the character. Peter Pan is also one of my favourite films because of the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom