Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

WDW Pro

Original Poster
It isn't to say there isn't a nugget of truth in what was posted. But (if it happens) its not quite what is being portrayed.

Feel free to tell what what it quite is then.

What the...

"Timeless". Well just remember Weird Al has been more relevant then the artists he parodied over the decades.
Going to be honest, not buying any of this because of how "out there" it sounds.

It was so far out there that I've been sitting on it for more than a week. Seems legit that there are indeed negotiations after some digging.

Mainahman

Weird Al is famous because of his parodies and polka, but his musical talents have a far wider range. I would consider him in the top tier of singer / songwriters, and one that knows the entire business inside out from technical ability to showmanship. His parodies are successful because of the deep understanding and respect he pays to the source material. He's not just tracking some wacky lyrics on top of the original, he rebuilds and reworks them from the ground up. You can't do that without rock solid fundamentals.

It's a pretty far out rumor, but I would completely trust Lin and Al to be able to find the right tone for HoP to reinvent it while paying respect to the original show. I can't think of any other pop culture entertainers I'd give those keys to 'no questions asked'.

Lin, of course, has a strong current tie to the Walt Disney Company... but has Al done anything at all with the mouse?
I finally saw All live on his last tour that he did with local symphony orchestras and man oh man he still has it!! He can sing like the best of them. Have been a big fan forever, but seeing him love cemented it further.

brb1006

Most people when they hear the name Lin Manuel Miranda they think of Hamilton. He also did songs for Moana as well. In addition to those achievements he is also the creator of another musical In The Heights which is scheduled to hit the Broadway stage in 2021. You may have seen the film of the same name.
And voice acting such as Milo and the Ducktales reboot.

mwf5555

So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.
does it come with insults to those attending as well?

high plains drifter

Weird Al is famous because of his parodies and polka, but his musical talents have a far wider range. I would consider him in the top tier of singer / songwriters, and one that knows the entire business inside out from technical ability to showmanship. His parodies are successful because of the deep understanding and respect he pays to the source material. He's not just tracking some wacky lyrics on top of the original, he rebuilds and reworks them from the ground up. You can't do that without rock solid fundamentals.

It's a pretty far out rumor, but I would completely trust Lin and Al to be able to find the right tone for HoP to reinvent it while paying respect to the original show. I can't think of any other pop culture entertainers I'd give those keys to 'no questions asked'.

Lin, of course, has a strong current tie to the Walt Disney Company... but has Al done anything at all with the mouse?
Well, if nothing else they were featuring him at Pleasure Island in the mid-90's...I still wonder if my sister had me intentionally pose under the "I'm Fat" video...:hilarious:

IMG_3966~2.jpg

mwf5555

So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.
whats next? a schoolhouse rock revival sing-a-long to replace "The American Adventure" at EPCOT?

GladToBeHear

Middle-aged, evil, privileged white guy here. What exactly is polarizing/partisan about HOP? The fact that there are presidents from different parties that maybe someone didn't vote for? We've seen this show every trip for over three decades. I've never seen anyone upset, booing, making comments, etc. I can understand the wanting to save money on the AAs if that was the true motivation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom