What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also many people are really thinking the parks open late April or at worst early May for a late fall date at this point. I cant even confidently reschedule my wedding in May that has been postponed indefinitely. Things are very bleak around the world.
People are getting very bad messages on this in the US.

I don’t want to debate it...but it goes to the causation of what you’re describing.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

People are getting very bad messages on on this in the US.

I don’t want to debate it...but it goes to the causation of what you’re describing.
I've been using the theme parks as sort of a micro-cosm to judge what I think we'll see happen in the real world...people are misinterpreting all over the place and not understanding a lot of what's being said. Yes, everyone wants to re-open businesses...but if people think there's going to be a single date that we're all told to re-open and go back to work, they've got a strong dose of reality coming.

doctornick

Do the whole thing by reservation only, limited capacity distributed by lottery online the day prior (with guaranteed access for resort guests). Stagger entrance times at the gate. Order and organize the heck out of it all.

Doesn't TDL have some sort of system to limit guests like tickets that are only for specific dates?

Piebald

Doesn't TDL have some sort of system to limit guests like tickets that are only for specific dates?
I think so. When we went and bought the 3 day hopper (you need to buy 3 days to park hop and you can only park hop on the 3rd day)

They asked us which park we were going to on each day.

Tokyo is also in a better position because they are like 80% locals. They could ban all flights into Japan and TDL would probably be fine...

Josh Hendy

It's hard for me to imagine how non-essential businesses like tourism are going to work with "precautions" such as spacing out guests if the virus is still rampant.

I think there can be no non-essential public travel or gatherings until we have one of the following:

1. widespread immunity due to previous exposure
  2. reliable vaccine
  3. effective cure

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I think there can be no non-essential public travel or gatherings until we have one of the following:

2. reliable vaccine
  3. effective cure
I would add a 4th - widespread, rapid testing. A quarantine of just people who test positive would end the spread of the virus very quickly while enabling others to resume everyday life.

Rapid testing would ensure we don’t reintroduce it at the borders.

Only 3 and 4 have any shot of happening by the end of the summer, and for 3 it would have to be with an already-approved drug (or at least a drug that has had a phase 3 trial)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's hard for me to imagine how non-essential businesses like tourism are going to work with "precautions" such as spacing out guests if the virus is still rampant.

2. reliable vaccine
  3. effective cure
I would add a 4th - widespread, rapid testing. A quarantine of just people who test positive would end the spread of the virus very quickly while enabling others to resume everyday life.

Rapid testing would ensure we don’t reintroduce it at the borders.

Only 3 and 4 have any shot of happening by the end of the summer, and for 3 it would have to be with an already-approved drug (or at least a drug that has had a phase 3 trial)
I agree with you...

Which makes the public “conflict” on this all the more surreal

Josh Hendy

for 3 it would have to be with an already-approved drug (or at least a drug that has had a phase 3 trial)
I'm not an expert on pharmacology but that reminds me, a quick check of the headlines shows that the hydroxychloroquine hope has sputtered out. A couple of places (Bahrain and Belgium) reported promising results but everyone else seems to be saying it's a bust.

I doubt that there are any other off-the-shelf, approved drugs with antivirus potential that haven't been tried yet. Remember the hoo-haw about HIV drugs? Seems like a long time ago doesn't it.

I'm pessimistic because this disease is generally cured or kills within a couple of days to a couple of weeks ... effective drugs would presumably either work very quickly, or not at all (in time).

If there is a problem with this disease of very long latency or dormancy (or whatever they call it) like HIV, THEN there may be some existing drugs that work over months or years, but I'm afraid there are no quick fixes in sight.

BTW Covid-19 has a sequence of genes very similar to HIV. Making it a very dangerous little booger. The question of how and where that chunk of its DNA um, evolved, is an interesting one that has not been answered ...

The real rescueranger

I'm not an expert on pharmacology but that reminds me, a quick check of the headlines shows that the hydroxychloroquine hope has sputtered out. A couple of places (Bahrain and Belgium) reported promising results but everyone else seems to be saying it's a bust.

I doubt that there are any other off-the-shelf, approved drugs with antivirus potential that haven't been tried yet. Remember the hoo-haw about HIV drugs? Seems like a long time ago doesn't it.

I'm pessimistic because this disease is generally cured or kills within a couple of days to a couple of weeks ... effective drugs would presumably either work very quickly, or not at all (in time).

If there is a problem with this disease of very long latency or dormancy (or whatever they call it) like HIV, THEN there may be some existing drugs that work over months or years, but I'm afraid there are no quick fixes in sight.

BTW Covid-19 has a sequence of genes very similar to HIV. Making it a very dangerous little booger. The question of how and where that chunk of its DNA um, evolved, is an interesting one that has not been answered ...
Sorry, but that simply isn’t true. . But the results are still going good in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmajew

Premium Member
This year Disney is going to show a loss a big loss but they will sell stock restructure debit and bonds and survive. It will suck but it is life of a big company. They will not cancel everything but some projects will be delayed because the bones of the common were good and strong we will bounce back. people are not going to just stay in for ever

UNCgolf

Sorry, but that simply isn’t true. The media would like you to think that because Trump touted it, and they hate him. But the results are still going good in the U.S.

There aren't really any results in the US. They're just now starting to do clinical testing in New York. There was a small study in China that showed no real curative effect from hydroxychloroquine, but we'll know more as the NY trials ramp up.

Favipiravir looks more promising at the moment based on another small test, but larger clinical trials for it are also just getting underway. It's not an FDA approved drug in the US, so there are no trials here, and even if it does prove effective it'll be a while before it could be used in the US even with an expedited approval process.

VaderTron

just not sure I understand how opening the parks but limiting people would spread people out (enough) to keep from spreading something.

queues, busses, front gate, bathrooms, restaurants, etc. not everyone can/will be 6ft apart and lots of people will be touching things all over

it may be more of a PR move than a really stopping anyone from getting something move
The whole thing is baloney. You go to the store where thousands of others have been all day touching all of the food items on the shelves and the produce. Then you pick it up and take it home and eat it.

Some think they are clever and order groceries curbside. 🙄 I suppose elves with natural immunity selected those items for you, stocked the shelves, unloaded the delivery trucks, packed the delivery trucks, produced and packaged the food. I guess you believe everyone who has been involved in the food chain would know when they are infected even before they show symptoms and immediately leave work, right?

SO...it's true, I don't think it's wise to take the unnecessary risk of further exposure to be in a theme park. Especially knowing how many people go to WDW when they are sick. However, you really can't fully isolate yourself from possible exposure unless you never leave your home for any reason, including work, and have your own independent food source.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom