News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

SoFloMagic

So let’s add age as a factor?
I don't think it's as advanced as we think. I think they push the update to open the button and phones don't refresh the app every second, more like every 30. Also adding people to your group adds seconds too. When 5k people are are refreshing and group 30 is only 4,000 people away from group 90, stuff like this happens.

cindy_k

It could be, but if we looked a bit deeper there may be an explanation. What phone did you use to get the boarding group and what mobile service does it use? See if it's the same for @cindy_k . Maybe certain phones and providers allow for quicker access? Worth asking at least.
I am using a Note 8 with TMobile. I rebooted my phone at 6:30 and was going back and forth between Check Status and back starting at 6:58am. And I'm 46 years old buuut I am a computer programmer.

VaderTron

I don't think it's as advanced as we think. I think they push the update to open the button and phones don't refresh the app every second, more like every 30. Also adding people to your group adds seconds too. When 5k people are are refreshing and group 30 is only 4,000 people away from group 90, stuff like this happens.
Just as possible. I'm just testing theories to make sure there's no advantage to be gained. If we go with your theory without testing phone differences then we have zero control. If phone difference even play a minuscule part, as you said seconds separate thousands of spots in BGs. I would want the advantage of knowing.

drizgirl

Just as possible. I'm just testing theories to make sure there's no advantage to be gained. If we go with your theory without testing phone differences then we have zero control. If phone difference even play a minuscule part, as you said seconds separate thousands of spots in BGs. I would want the advantage of knowing.
Seriously, Disney ain’t that good at IT.

VaderTron

I am using a Note 8 with TMobile. I rebooted my phone at 6:30 and was going back and forth between Check Status and back starting at 6:58am. And I'm 46 years old buuut I am a computer programmer.
I was thinking more about the age of the phone than the operator. Many phones' processing speeds slow with age.

Interesting. So you also were one who didn't wait to open the app till 7:00?

cindy_k

I was thinking more about the age of the phone than the operator. Many phones' processing speeds slow with age.

Interesting. So you also were one who didn't wait to open the app till 7:00?
I had the app open before hand. My professional experience tells me having it open at least a few minutes before would be better. Not a guarantee but loading up libraries on app start up takes time.

SoFloMagic

Good point. May as well assume we have some control. Can't hurt!

RussM45

It is still quite busy this morning, but in addition to my ride on Rise, I have been able to do Toy Story Mania, Star Tours (fastpass), Rock and Roller (fastpass), and Smugglers Run (singles line), by 9:50.

Have a 10:35 fastpass for MuppetVision, then might be able to a new Tier 1 fastpass either at the Studios or EPCOT.

ImperfectPixie

I get that people have to be in the park to get a BG to stop thousands of people getting them who have no intention of going and clogging the system, but couldn't they do a deposit system? Just do it the same as the dining reservations. Boarding groups start being offered at 7am and if you get one then don't use it, Disney charges you $10 each.

That way people wouldn't have to queue early in the morning, if they get a late boarding group they can plan something else for the morning, but only people serious about going will bother getting the boarding groups. People who struggle to use the app could even do it at the hotels with a cast member or two at each one ready to help people for half an hour in the morning.
Unfortunately, I think there are plenty of people who will not care about $10 and no-show anyway. (Or call guest relations and scream loudly enough that they get refunded even though they no-showed.)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Only Apple and only after IOS upgrades from the operating system level. They engineered it that way. Other culprits for slow phones are the accumulation of other applications over time.

ImperfectPixie

Does this already exist for fastpass/dining reservations? Never heard of that before, why can't people just do it themselves?
It's no different then Disney restaurant reservations through your Disney account. How would that lead to paid services.
For a time, there were at least 1 or 2 (probably more) websites that you could pay to notify you of when a specific reservation opened up. Disney shut them down. Speculation is that the site owners were making a ton of reservations, then releasing them as people created a search for them on their websites.

djkidkaz

I’m guessing you are all way over thinking this with phone service, rebooting and all that.

My guess is that the system is setup to just get you in a boarding group. Doing it in perfect chronological order when you have 5000 people all doing it at once would lag and cause the system to crash. Previously when it was a controlled entrance the guests were probably entering just slow enough that it could keep up. You saw that first day they tried everyone doing it at once and it was a disaster.

Epcot_Imagineer

For a time, there were at least 1 or 2 (probably more) websites that you could pay to notify you of when a specific reservation opened up. Disney shut them down. Speculation is that the site owners were making a ton of reservations, then releasing them as people created a search for them on their websites.
There is a very well known site that does infact notify you when a reservation has opened up; I used it to get an Oga's reservation. I don't believe this one does what you said; releasing reservations that they themselves reserved.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
There is a very well known site that does infact notify you when a reservation has opened up; I used it to get an Oga's reservation. I don't believe this one does what you said; releasing reservations that they themselves reserved.

You are correct that TP does not do that. It simply has a bot that checks on a scheduled rotation for the reservations that you are looking for. You can do the same thing if you open up the disney dining page and just keep looking randomly. I do both. Sometimes I beat them to it but other times I get the text.

Either way, they don't actually reserve anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom