News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

RSoxNo1

Well, EPCOT is about a whole new world.

This is a show only those with the old time EPCOT nostalgia can really love.

For those without the nostalgia the gimmicky songs were, for me, just annoying. But I complain about gimmicky music in many of the shows.
I'd like to speak to any fan of classic EPCOT that enjoyed this show. Actually, I'd like to speak with them and a doctor that can perform a CT scan.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm pretty sure he's got a free schedule to do Figment work again. I mean it's not like Disney's keeping him busy with the Muppets.

Oh I’m sure he’s available.... but I’m sure he’s way more $$$ than random kid. Would have been worth it though. Figment hosting the show would have made it way better for me.

I was hoping for one of the sequences of ROE to be included but the tapestry music was awesome so there’s that.

TrojanUSC

Was there and there were audible cheers with the Tapestry song came on but dead silence when Aladdin started. The whole thing felt disjointed but the ending was particularly weak and embarrassing. No finale, no heart.

Also, between the new MNSSHP fireworks show and Kidzbop Epcot Forever, when did Disney decide just to make shows for pre-schoolers?

RSoxNo1

I loved the Golden Dream and Tapestry of Nations segment. The forced IP at the end, while I understand the idea of a “whole new world” just didn’t work at all. Overall a big giant meh.
Exactly, it started out rough with some disjointed greatest hits and then moved into Tapestry/Golden Dreams/Tapestry with the kites. I thought they were on the right track. Then, total and utter derailment. Honestly, had they shifted from that into the Illuminations clip before "We Go On" it would have saved the show.

You done messed up A-A-ron.

Disney Analyst

After rewatching it several times it becomes more and more obvious that for a company that has dedicated itself to telling stories, this show is completely missing one. Or at least any cohesive way of tying all of these elements together. As it is, it’s just a random clip show of old Epcot songs. That is such a shame because this show could be so much more, even if it is just temporary.
This show needs a host. Imagine if instead of a random kid talking every once in a while it was Dreamfinder and Figment. It is astonishing that the two biggest characters in all of Epcot’s history didn’t even get a mention (not including the song) but Eric Idle got directly quoted. What a missed opportunity.

Am I the only one happy to just have a fireworks show back... with good music... and no convoluted story? This feels very classic Disney fireworks to me.

EricsBiscuit

At first I thought how EC was a weird premise for a show but the music has some themes that can be tied together. However, this show feels disjointed and has no storyline or structure like HEA or even Wishes, much less RoE. It’s just a mess. I wanted to like this show, but it’s just not a worthy successor to RoE, even as a stopgap.

RSoxNo1

Some more thoughts...

Walt mixed with kids didn't work. Take the Walt quote by itself at the intro and/or outro and use the kids as transitions. What they chose didn't work.

When it switched to Aladdin, I was legit confused. It was on par with the Target announcement at D23 - I have zero confidence that this group "gets it". They may fall backwards into some hits, or creatives may get a say over execs, but this is another tone deaf attempt at "fixing" Epcot.

If I was trolling Epcot fans with a musical score, I couldn't have done a better job than what they did.

t3techcom18

I watched it live near the Canada pavilion.

I personally loved every second of it until it hit A Whole New World. It completely made everything go off the rails, into a giant dumpster fire and into a vat of acid. As everyone else has been mentioning, it really did feel like a massive slap in the face to those who are diehard Epcot fans and it killed the emotion I had for it.

As long as I don't think about that part, I loved it, but I loved it for what it was: an interim show. So many people are comparing it to ROE when there's no need to because it's not meant to be the next big fireworks show. If it was never meant to be that way, why compare it? It's apples to oranges. If you expect it to be huge and elaborate, you'll be sorely disappointed, but if you come into it knowing it's going to be a low budget, nostalgia loaded clip show, then you'll enjoy it. Is it perfect? No, it is disjointed at times and I wish there more tributes/songs to be played fully, but again, it's a clip show. Simple as that. They did great with the budget and time given to them (which probably wasn't much, let's be honest).

trainplane3

Some more thoughts...

Walt mixed with kids didn't work. Take the Walt quote by itself at the intro and/or outro and use the kids as transitions. What they chose didn't work.

When it switched to Aladdin, I was legit confused. It was on par with the Target announcement at D23 - I have zero confidence that this group "gets it". They may fall backwards into some hits, or creatives may get a say over execs, but this is another tone deaf attempt at "fixing" Epcot.

If I was trolling Epcot fans with a musical score, I couldn't have done a better job than what they did.
But they have hip and cool guy Zach running the show! He knows about a purple dragon! And how...everything in Epcot is a...story...?

Music was great with awkward pauses. Kites were neat in person. Then I got punched in the stomach at the end with Aladdin. Awkward ending. It's like WDI can't nail ending a show properly or at least making it flow. Look at the current state of RoL.

Please ditch the kid announcer. It's too late but I'd re-record the kid singers too. Cute idea but poor execution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom