Disney Resorts: On the Verge of Ordinary

Nottamus

Yes, we were totally saddened when AKL started losing their room design for the 'white paint Holiday Inn Express" theme.

We read complaints from people that the rooms were 'too dark' and 'not well lit'.

We still love the resort, but not so much the 'rounding of the corners' in all these room makeovers.

NomeKing88

I think what people are missing is that, up until this point, Disney World has only offered guests small motel rooms to stay in or nicely themed hotel rooms that are priced as five star resorts (which they are definitely not). There was never an inbetween. Their “moderates” are just slightly larger motel rooms. Where are the simple hotel rooms that aren’t $500 a night? Disney seems to be finally filling in this gap by building these new hotel towers. I’m fine by that.

Also, looking at how the deluxe rooms looked before their remodels.... those rooms were tacky as h*ll. The yacht club rooms looked like a little boys room from the 90s, primary colors and hideous patterns barfed all over the place! Embrace modernism y’all.

Flynnwriter

Original Poster
Not exactly. The more I see of the Gran Destino, (videos and pictures), the more I think it actually adds to the various resort themes. None of the iconic resorts are "Disney" themed.

We have DVC at Boardwalk Villas and aside from the lobby, there isnt much around the resort that smacks you upside the head with "Disney", but we enjoy the Coney Island vibe it offers. Same for a majority of the iconic resorts (Contemporary, GF, AKL, WL, Poly). They are all extremely well themed but offer little to no actual "Disney" in their design, but each have their own unique vibe. I think Gran Destino fits right in. Stunning lobby, vibrant colors, amazing views, several bars/restaurants and it definitely has its own theme with dabs of Dali inspired interior structures and layout.

If you need your "Disney/Mickey Mouse" fix, just hop on one of the new buses.
The rooms used to speak of the “Coney Island”’vibe. Now they resemble a Marriott retirement community or assisted living home. The previous rooms told the story of the hotel - that’s what made them Disney. They had a tea cup custom light, period art, custom white furniture. It wasn’t a Mickey Mouse that makes somebody “Disney” in resort interiors-it’s placemaking and story telling with interior design.

Flynnwriter

Original Poster
I think what people are missing is that, up until this point, Disney World has only offered guests small motel rooms to stay in or nicely themed hotel rooms that are priced as five star resorts (which they are definitely not). There was never an inbetween. Their “moderates” are just slightly larger motel rooms. Where are the simple hotel rooms that aren’t $500 a night? Disney seems to be finally filling in this gap by building these new hotel towers. I’m fine by that.

Also, looking at how the deluxe rooms looked before their remodels.... those rooms were tacky as h*ll. The yacht club rooms looked like a little boys room from the 90s, primary colors and hideous patterns barfed all over the place! Embrace modernism y’all.
Modernism isn’t what they are delivering. It’s repetitive, unimaginative and ordinary. Yes, the value resorts (all star) rooms were depressingly ugly, but that’s not what I’m referring to. Either way, you win - you get your HGTV room. Enjoy! The attached photo is modernism.

Attachments

• 15DAB92D-E88F-49EA-A153-8EC8A8A4B956.jpeg
    15DAB92D-E88F-49EA-A153-8EC8A8A4B956.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 80

TrojanUSC

People seem to overlook that hideous piece of junk because its a "classic". However the Contemporary and I'll argue the Grand Floridian are very basic. But the little complainers on this site don't care about them because they're in the sacred MK area.

An open atrium like one found at the Contemporary was very very modern at the time. Very impressive to guests in 1971, as they'd never seen anything like it. In fact, it was less than three years earlier that the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta open and it was the world's first open atrium hotel. Granted, that facet of it is not impressive anymore (though the monorail running through it is). However, it has become a classic and symbolizes WDW too many.

The GF, on the other hand, is a direct ripoff of the Hotel Del Coronado in California. So it's not exactly an original or Floridian theme. However it's a very distinctive bit of architecture for the area. The lobby is nothing like the one in CA and is distinctly Disney. Rooms are pretty dreadful now, though (even refurbished).

The new Coronado and Riviera towers are essentially stylistically indistinguishable from the Hilton Bonnet Creek, the Waldorf or any other recent hotel builds in the area. Just tall boxy buildings with some flourishes. Seems like they were going for cost and efficiency in building, more than anything else.

TrojanUSC

They were also charging people $600/night for "themed" rooms that were horrendously outdated. The cartoon-y theming of rooms went out with bed spreads and tube TVs. It was high time for Disney to modernize their room portfolio. I'm all for keeping unique thematic touches (the bed runners back would be a nice touch) but I'd like the room I'm staying in to feel like it is of this decade and is at least comparable, experience-wise, to something I'd get elsewhere.

eliza61nyc

They were also charging people $600/night for "themed" rooms that were horrendously outdated. The cartoon-y theming of rooms went out with bed spreads and tube TVs. It was high time for Disney to modernize their room portfolio. I'm all for keeping unique thematic touches (the bed runners back would be a nice touch) but I'd like the room I'm staying in to feel like it is of this decade and is at least comparable, experience-wise, to something I'd get elsewhere.

LOL, this maybe part of the problem, if they really "modernized" them which generally is clean lines, light color and minimalist decor people complain that they look like every other hotels.

Disney can't win. they are either too cartoony or too marriott-y

JIMINYCR

LOL, this maybe part of the problem, if they really "modernized" them which generally is clean lines, light color and minimalist decor people complain that they look like every other hotels.

When Im booking a resort, the feature that sold me originally and what keeps me coming back instead of going off site IS the entire themed surroundings. I hated it when Disney started theming down the rooms and making them less Disneyfied. I like the look of the lobbies, the theming around the resort but then open the door to the room and its blaaah. I want it to continue on my walls, on my bedspread, in my bathroom, everywhere I loook.:D:D:D.

Greg in TN

When Im booking a resort, the feature that sold me originally and what keeps me coming back instead of going off site IS the entire themed surroundings. I hated it when Disney started theming down the rooms and making them less Disneyfied. I like the look of the lobbies, the theming around the resort but then open the door to the room and its blaaah. I want it to continue on my walls, on my bedspread, in my bathroom, everywhere I loook.:D:D:D.

The theming should continue, yes. :) But it shouldn't look like 1992. Personally, I do think they could use a little more theming to balance out all the "updating." I suppose that's a tricky equation to try and figure out.

ninjaprincesst

What was unique about Disney Hotels was the theme, now there is no theme just boring normal hotel rooms. I loved how the hotels used to be so unique now to get unique you have to book one of the special theme rooms like the pirate rooms at Caribbean Beach ot the royal rooms at POR.

Magenta Panther

With the opening of Gran Destino, the upcoming Riviera Resort, Reflections Lodge, The Cove and the ongoing homogenization of guest room and restaurant interiors (Wilderness Lodge, yacht club, Beach Club... ) Disney has thrown in the towel with signature “Disney” iconic resorts.

With building profiles and architecture redundant of the “outside world” Disney has done a 180 on the very reason guests flock to their premium priced hotels - they are unique, with themed public areas and some with guest room interior design that continues the hotel story. True, some of the rooms were lackluster when compared to the public areas, but they usually had touches and moments of Disney.

With the current “paint the world white” HGTV approach, we are being flooded with generic contemporary design that could be an airport Marriott or Omaha Hilton.

The newly stripped-down rooms are a sad statement for Disney Resorts and erode the brand one room at a time.

One cast member told us, “the new look is the result of guest comments and research.” Believe me, when design is driven by research we will all pay. If this is the case, Disney will forever be chasing their tail.

I’m not sure where it ends.

Well said! The design of the resorts has been a pet peeve of mine for some time now - at least the resorts in the American parks. Why can't we have magical, cool-looking DISNEY hotels like the one in Paris?

Instead, we mostly get hotels that look like office highrises. :p Lame!

correcaminos

The only thing I don't like about the rooms now is the bedding. It's thin and I freeze at night. I want more substantial blankets and comforters. I'd like a little color there too. I haven't had an issue with Copper Creek (newest DVC that is open) or what Riviera is supposed to look like. Same with Grand Destino. From what I've seen otherwise it's beautiful.

Tom P.

Amen. And, FWIW, I know that I may very well be in the minority, but I would take the theming of Art of Animation over that of the Grand Floridian any day.

LAM378

I feel exactly the same way about the bedding. The very first thing I do when I get to a new Disney room is call housekeeping for extra blankets, and I sleep with at least 2 extra on top of what’s already on the bed.

BoarderPhreak

I mentioned this in another thread actually. The urge to "modernize" guest rooms is effectively de-theming them to varying degrees. The problem is, one of the big differentiators of on-property resorts (besides the perks, which are also diminishing) is the theming. Once that's gone, it's going to be harder to justify the price premium over off-property. The end result will be a shorter bus ride for thrice the price.

eliza61nyc

I mentioned this in another thread actually. The urge to "modernize" guest rooms is effectively de-theming them to varying degrees. The problem is, one of the big differentiators of on-property resorts (besides the perks, which are also diminishing) is the theming. Once that's gone, it's going to be harder to justify the price premium over off-property. The end result will be a shorter bus ride for thrice the price.

I think some distinction has to be added. the resort lobbys and grounds are heavily themed. I really never thought the rooms were all that themed. Beach club rooms are definitely NOT uber themed.

I would say AK is probably the winner in the on site deluxe themed room contest.

20180413_115409.jpg

But here really all you've got is some decoration behind the headboard.

The beach club was luxurious but definitely not crawling with "disneyesqe"

beach club rooms.jpg

and these were from our stay at the GF villas. again very pretty and deluxe but not what I would call "Disneyfied"

20170515_172327.jpg
20170515_172319.jpg

20170519_064842.jpg

not sure that I would describe any of this has "holiday Inn" but that's me. I will say that imo it's not one simple reason for staying on site.

I've rented a house before. nope, not going to do it again. Just felt too much like staying at home. Did Airbnb. LOL had to clean, excuse me? again in my life I'm not going on vacation to clean. can do that at home for free.

sorry but imo the deluxes have a long way to go before you can even remotely call them "ordinary". I always say, you guys have to invite me to your neck of the woods. the malls all look like Disney and the marriotts all look like the Grand Floridian.

Last edited:
Beautifully stated.

One of the things that was groundbreaking about WDW was that the resorts were immersive experiences just like the parks. What is the point of staying on property and paying premium prices except to be immersed in high-quality narrative design - the hallmark of Disney - throughout your whole vacation?

The real test will be: Are guests going to pay as much for Gran Destino and the like, or will they select the fully themed resorts instead when they're at the same price point Hopefully, we will see room rates at Gran Destino, etc., drop after a while, indicating that guest demand is in the direction of immersive environments. Maybe that will change Disney's decision-making. If not... this will be yet another thing that benefits Disney in the short run and damages its overall quality and uniqueness in the long run.
Highly agree. I firmly believe that the magic of staying at these resorts is an immersive experience where you have the chance to learn about a different culture or atmosphere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom