Rumor "Black Box" Coming to DCA?

mickEblu

fair enough but just because somebody stumbles or loses their way does not mean they are lost forever.

True. Anyway I’m not seeing the negative here. They have a small “black box” in the Ugly Hollywoodland backlot (most likely Millionaire building) in DCA to Release new attractions in conjunction with the movies so they don’t have to give us sloppy overlays instead. Or worse, mess up anything at DL. Of course this doesn’t ensure anything but it could only help.

What else are they going to give us in the backlot anyway. Best case scenario = more Marvel Land? Yeah I’m good with the black box.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

True. Anyway I’m not seeing the negative here. They have a small “black box” in the Ugly Hollywoodland backlot (most likely Millionaire building) in DCA to Release new attractions in conjunction with the movies so they don’t have to give us sloppy overlays instead. Or worse, mess up anything at DL. Of course this doesn’t ensure anything but it could only help.

What else are they going to give us in the backlot anyway. Best case scenario = more Marvel Land? Yeah I’m good with the black box.
we have enough of a black box with TSMM If they are going to give us a indoor dark ride lets get something like Mr. Toad or any of other classic fanatasy land dark rides. something with creativity. Not every ride needs to be a E ticket. let's get some classic Cs and Ds again.

mickEblu

we have enough of a black box with TSMM If they are going to give us a indoor dark ride lets get something like Mr. Toad or any of other classic fanatasy land dark rides. something with creativity. Not every ride needs to be a E ticket. let's get some classic Cs and Ds again.

Ok I see you are laser focused on what the black box is/ what it is not and not the potential benefits I listed.

Also again, look at all the newest additions to the park the last few years. You re not getting another Toad. You ll get a Little Mermaid at best.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Ok I see you are laser focused on what the black box is/ what it is not and not the potential benefits I listed.

Also again, look at all the newest additions to the park the last few years. You re not getting another Toad. You ll get a Little Mermaid at best.
That depresses me even more lol. I am not laser focused, I get where you are coming from I just dont want physical sets and AAs to be replaced by screens. I don't want to go on Mr. Toad's FAST & SUPER CHARGED if you get my drift.

mickEblu

That depresses me even more lol. I am not laser focused, I get where you are coming from I just dont want physical sets and AAs to be replaced by screens. I don't want to go on Mr. Toad's FAST & SUPER CHARGED if you get my drift.

I see what you re saying but weigh out the scenarios. Whats worse?( Keep in mind these are both worst case scenarios on both sides. I don’t see them ever removing the classics at DL or most of them anyway.) And I say this because I think this is one of the reasons they are considering this black box. Limited room and not enough space without getting rid of stuff people love.

So what’s worse? This black box is a massive hit and they give us only screen or majority screen rides from here on out in the very limited expansion room left at DLR? Or they continue to do dumb overlays on rides that don’t call for them and hack away at Disneyland for Chapek/ Igers poor to mediocre additions that are overall a net negative or extremely flawed and not harmonious with DL at best as evidenced by everything that’s happened in the park since 2016?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I see what you re saying but weigh out the scenarios. Whats worse?( Keep in mind these are both worst case scenarios on both sides. I don’t see them ever removing the classics at DL or most of them anyway.) So what’s worse? This black box is a massive hit and they give us only screen or majority screen rides from here on out in the very limited expansion room left at DLR? Or they continue to do dumb overlays on rides that don’t call for them and hack away at Disneyland for Chapek/ Igers poor to mediocre additions that are overall a net negative or extremely flawed and not harmonious with DL at best as evidenced by everything that’s happened in the park since 2016?
I don't like either of those choices to be honest. Tear down DCA and Downtown Disney and there is your extra land space to do something new and creative with.

mickEblu

I don't like either of those choices to be honest. Tear down DCA and Downtown Disney and there is your extra land space to do something new and creative with.

Lol but this scenario isn’t in the cards Or a possible effect of the black box experiment.

Again, you re saying you want them to use all the remaining expansion room left at the resort while Chapek and Iger are in charge? We re goin circles. I’m out. Goodnight

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Lol but this scenario isn’t in the cards Or a possible effect of the black box experiment.

Again, you re saying you want them to use all the remaining expansion room left at the resort while Chapek and Iger are in charge? We re goin circles. I’m out. Goodnight
you make a good point lol. good night sir

BrianLo

Aside from a few figures and the train vehicles is there really that much that differentiates the Mickey Ride with this black box concept?

I think when people hear this concept they think Ratatouille with less practical show scenes. But something like Ratatouille’s show building is not flexible or modular whatsoever. You are still beholden to mostly a ride progression from IMAX-dome screen through small pods.

Something like this is more meant to be a conference floor of attractions. Something that is modular, can completely change its floor plan within days. Yes there might be more permanent structures like an IMAX style room, but the timing and route of its inclusion could be flexible.

Partition walls could be moved, modular show platform elements would almost be like a parade float where they are dropped in overnight and kept off site.

So while you could have a screen based movie tie in attraction very reminiscent of Ratatouille, within days they could also just bring in display cases and old props and suddenly have an Imagineering attraction on historical elements of Disneyland that almost looks like a museum. Both could have radically different layouts and room sizes (and practical based elements) since the walls would be modular and the fixtures (including animatronics on show platforms) would be easily placed. The ride vehicles could dramatically change their pacing to fit the different attractions and the ride paths within days could travel where the last iteration actually had ‘a wall’.

That’s what I mean when I say there is way more permanent structure to Mickeys than you think there is. Nothing was built to be easily removed and the show scenes and sizes of each are very fixed. The walls are fixed. The semi 3D layered projected surfaces (of which there are many) are fixed.

Last edited:

TROR

I think when people hear this concept they think Ratatouille with less practical show scenes. But something like Ratatouille’s show building is not flexible or modular whatsoever. You are still beholden to mostly a ride progression from IMAX-dome screen through small pods.

Something like this is more meant to be a conference floor of attractions. Something that is modular, can completely change its floor plan within days. Yes there might be more permanent structures like an IMAX style room, but the timing and route of its inclusion could be flexible.

Partition walls could be moved, modular show platform elements would almost be like a parade float where they are dropped in overnight and kept off site.

So while you could have a screen based movie tie in attraction very reminiscent of Ratatouille, within days they could also just bring in display cases and old props and suddenly have an Imagineering attraction on historical elements of Disneyland that almost looks like a museum. Both could have radically different layouts and room sizes (and practical based elements) since the walls would be modular and the fixtures (including animatronics on show platforms) would be easily placed. The ride vehicles could dramatically change their pacing to fit the different attractions and the ride paths within days could travel where the last iteration actually had ‘a wall’.

That’s what I mean when I say there is way more permanent structure to Mickeys than you think there is. Nothing was built to be easily removed and the show scenes and sizes of each are very fixed. The walls are fixed. The semi 3D layered projected surfaces (of which there are many) are fixed.
I believe he just means the experiences would feel the same.

BrianLo

I believe he just means the experiences would feel the same.

Nothing precludes them from filling the show building over a few days with AA/set modular platforms built like low lying parade floats.

This can be Ratatouille one week, Pooh’s Hunny Hunt the Next and a D23 Imagineering booth experiences in ride vehicles the next season.

None of those experiences are ‘the same’.

TROR

Nothing precludes them from filling the show building over a few days with AA/set modular platforms built like low lying parade floats.

This can be Ratatouille one week, Pooh’s Hunny Hunt the Next and a D23 Imagineering booth experiences in ride vehicles the next season.

According to the rumor, it's projection based, almost exclusively. Hunny Hunt is mostly physical sets and animatronics, Ratatouille still has some large sets, and a booth isn't a ride at all. What I'm picturing is a bunch of plywood cutouts with projection mapping on them, maybe some static figures. Quick, easy, and cheap with absolutely no imagination, skill, talent, or anything that makes theme parks quality necessary.

lazyboy97o

Building codes are a major hurdle to this idea. Conference spaces can have movable partitions because they are actually a relatively limited number of combinations, usually just adjacent rectangles with each section including all necessary means of egress and protections. There are no unique layouts. Those movable walls are also very expensive and require some significant infrastructure to support. Any new layout will require engaging an architect and approval from the building and fire departments. In California props of a certain size will need to have seismic anchoring.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

How? each of those rides while having track less vehicles do not have the same looking trackless vehicle. You can't just take off the cover and put another cover on the same vehicle. so you mean to tell me they can change ride vehicles out to fit the theme of the new ride they put in there in a matter of days? not buying it.

lazyboy97o

How? each of those rides while having track less vehicles do not have the same looking trackless vehicle. You can't just take off the cover and put another cover on the same vehicle. so you mean to tell me they can change ride vehicles out to fit the theme of the new ride they put in there in a matter of days? not buying it.
A ride vehicle body that can just be swapped would not be a big challenge. The bigger issue would be the cost of producing new bodies, not swapping them out.

BrianLo

I didn't mean they are literally creating those rides... Obviously they are going to pick a more generic vehicle that can be used for anything. Not a honey pot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom