Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this will be a great addition, and am happy they're finally planning on doing this.

My only question: why now? This was part of the original Walk Around the World plan back in the 90's but they obviously never completed it then. I'm just curious why they are finally planning on spending money to do this now. I wonder if there is any merit to plans to for monorail changes in the future, and maybe this would be helpful to have in place first? If there was going to be downtime for monorail system upgrades/repairs/changes, etc they would need alternatives in place. Just speculating...
I heavily suspect “alternative” options to the monorails will be heavily explored. They just cost a ton...and the service life of both the trains and more importantly the beams is shrinking

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
GF can get pretty backed up in the monorail line and it's too much of a free for all line where you kinda have to push by people not going all the way up to the gates. I'm hoping for an underwater bridge! But they've already ruined water pageant with the IP music. I hum to myself the original music whenever I see it, complete with alligator sound effects!

Wait...you mean the little mermaid 89 stuff? Or have they gone and done something stupid and I didn’t notice.

lazyboy97o

I’m cautiously optimistic about this. Dewatering means sucking the water out of the ground to stabilize it. It could be that, as part of the replacement of the personalized bricks, they have to do additional work to the existing path to keep its surface uniform and code compliant.

CLEtoWDW

I’ve always wondered when Disney was finally going to construct a walkway for GF guests. Now we have our answer. This will clearly help with monorail congestion as really only Poly guests will have to take the monorail. It will be interesting to see how Disney constructs this walkway as I would imagine there is quite a bit of nasty wildlife that currently inhabits that area. 😬

ThatMouse

Wait...you mean the little mermaid 89 stuff? Or have they gone and done something stupid and I didn’t notice.

It's still mermaid - wow that was changed in 89?? When I was little it was Handel's water music using synthesizers in a good way. The current one is like hey we couldn't afford a real orchestra so we downloaded some pirated midi versions of Mermaid for you.

durangojim

Based on your preferences...I bet you’ll be underwhelmed.

I like the MK spots...but I’m a crescent lake loyalist
I don't know. We stay at YC/BC each fall and GF each summer. We just returned last night from a week at the GF and there is something incredibly relaxing about seeing and hearing the boats and park from our balcony. Also where else can you watch the fireworks while in the pool each night?
We've been hoping for a walkway for decades.
6DDBD513-917E-4545-AC60-2E5ACDDE8965.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just from eyeballing the map, I'd guess a walk from the MK to Poly would be close to 1.5 miles. Can't see myself wanting that personally, considering how pleasant of a ferry ride it is.

Also, does anyone think it's possible that this permit is referencing work done to the "pathway to nowhere" that is currently there between the monorail station extending in the direction of GF? I know they're doing lots of work over there. Might it be possible they're just making improvements to this area for other reasons, like the resort ferry launch?

This is a possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom