Next Gen Busses

DisneyYorkian74

I’m surprised at the negative blowback this site is giving towards these bus redesigns.

My first impression was that I LOVED them!

They’re so much better than the generic, plain, & boring grey redesign that was introduced a few years back (and I believe thankfully never fully rolled out).

These new redesigns give the buses some character (pun somewhat intended), energy, and screams Disney! Which is something I want and view as a positive when visiting Disney World.

Tony the Tigger

There must be a point to that. At least explain why it is ok for offsite but, not ok onsite (where it belongs and fits.)

Because they’ve read on the internet that they’re not supposed to like unjustified, gratuitous Disney characters at Disney World. So they think they sound smart or highbrow for saying that.

IMO, if you want to feel snobby, go to the opera.

Missing20K

They could cut prices, rebuild 20,000 leagues, Horizons, The Great Movie Ride, build Beastly Kingdom, fix the Yeti, extend the monorail to all four parks, plus springs, and add four original e-tickets to each park, and still some people would complain.
Well if they did all that and didn't rebuild JII, that would be more than enough reason to grab pitchforks. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Funny... people still don't understand why this...
Disney-Dream-Common-Areas-019.jpg

is more appreciated and considered more desirable than this...

filename-hotel1-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

lazyboy97o

Tacky vs classy?

Purpose vs gratuitous?

Cohesion vs plastered?

Subtle vs loud?

Supportive role vs 'look at me!!!'

Meshing vs clashing

Here's a litmus test for you... if you swap the character out with any other non-Disney art or even a different disney character... does it change much?
Don’t you know, you’re not allowed to make those distinctions because you’re not an Imagineer.

Tom Morrow

I love the characters on the busses. People seem to forget Disney was built on characters.
You're entitled to your opinion, but this cannot be stated enough: For the first 35 years of its existence, characters played a minor role in the success of WDW. It was never about saturating you with characters and IP at all times, and everything about creating memorable, quality environments that feel authentic. We started seeing the shift in the mid 00's and ever since they keep moving the slider further and further toward "IP saturation, everywhere, every second".

It wouldn't be as annoying if the design wasn't so blatantly lazy and tacky. Loud and in your face instead of tasteful.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Why do I get the feeling that some guests complained about the look of the buses and their not having characters on them and this is the result?

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. These characters on the buses are not exactly subtle (but that's TWDC these days, as subtle as a jackhammer), and they could have done a much better job of incorporating something a bit more creative in doing this, but I think it could have been worse, believe it or not.

Lensman

Tacky vs classy?

Purpose vs gratuitous?

Cohesion vs plastered?

Subtle vs loud?

Meshing vs clashing

Here's a litmus test for you... if you swap the character out with any other non-Disney art or even a different disney character... does it change much?
I agree with you, but I think we've been told to go to the opera because we're being too snobby. :) OTOH, I've been told that I'm not being snobby enough because I'm looking forward to the photorealistic Lion King remake. If you can't tell, I like this misuse of the term, "snobby." I don't think I'm superior, I think I'm justifiably picky in particular things. I think everyone should be allowed to be picky in their own little areas. I have a fine appreciation for high powered flashlights, but that doesn't make me better than anyone else.

Really, these new bus wraps don't bother me yet. I'm going to give them a couple of years to see how I feel about them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm all for whimsical and carefree fun... throw away reality for awhile. And frankly the new wraps didn't bother me much.. frankly its just something I see as 'lazy' and not my style and walk away from. I don't need to 'fight any battles to save the buses' or something. But when people try to articulate it as good or somehow better as a theme or placemaking.. well in that academic debate, they're just wrong.

They are pretty lazy. Heck, just compare the design of the skyliners to these bus wraps. The skyliners are an example of just 'over disney-fying things'... but at least they put some effort into the concept to make it fit the purpose and co-exist at least.

Ricky Spanish

The plural of bus is buses. A variant plural, busses, is also given in the dictionary, but has become so rare that it seems like an error to many people.
Nevertheless, buses is problematic: it looks like fuses, but doesn’t rhyme with it. Abuses doesn’t rhyme in two different possible ways: the noun with the \s\ sound or the verb with the \z\ sound. Words that do rhyme with bus are usually spelled with a double s, like fusses or trusses.

Until 1961, 'busses' was the preferred plural of 'bus' in Merriam-Webster dictionaries. But the word 'buss' is a synonym of 'kiss'. Perhaps it's just as well that 'buses' took over.

Confusing the issue is the word buss, a synonym of kiss which could make for some funny interpretations of parking signs for buses. Buss meaning “kiss” seems to have evolved from the sound of giving a kiss, whereas bus meaning “a large vehicle for carrying passengers” is an abbreviation of omnibus, their original name, from the Latin word meaning “for all.”
When the word bus was new, the two plurals were in competition, but busesovertook busses in frequency in the 1930s, and today is the overwhelming choice of writers and editors. Busses was the preferred form in Merriam-Webster dictionaries until 1961.
As for the verb bus—which may mean either "to transport someone in a bus" or "to remove dirty dishes from [as from a table]"—we do recognize bussed and bussing as variants. But the decision to buss a customer's table could cost you your job.

Tony the Tigger

Tacky vs classy?

Purpose vs gratuitous?

Cohesion vs plastered?

Subtle vs loud?

Meshing vs clashing

Opinion vs opinion.

But it’s funny you think a bronzed character statue (as if it were an important person deserving of such a statue) is preferable to the character in color.

Tony the Tigger

But when people try to articulate it as good or somehow better as a theme or placemaking.. well in that academic debate, they're just wrong.

I really don’t feel strongly either way, but do I like them better than the plain design? Yes.

If you can “academically debate” that to be “wrong,” good luck to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom