Best place to get a steak.

Joesixtoe

Original Poster
Don't be intimidated by some of the fancier places. I've had some mediocre steaks at fine dining places, and some decent ones at Saltgrass. Longhorn has a reputation for being the best casual steakhouse chain in the country, serving aged high quality beef. [Note: They say aged, but I'm assuming it's wet aged and for who knows how long?]

Anyway, on a related topic, in your original post you mentioned your fondness for tender and you've mentioned ribeye. Are you particularly fond of the ribeye cap? It's that outer band of rich, super-tender meat on the outside of the ribeye, and is one of my favorite bites.

So many steaks, so few years...
Well as I said it's the best steak I've literally ever had, hands down. I THINK I flavor my steak like the outlaw with butter, lemon juice and Lowry's seasoning... so after seeing some food reviews on the vlogs, I was curious about the steaks, cause I need it tender for I am in the middle of getting my dental issues worked out.
Yes though the marbled fat intertwined within the meat just cant be beat, especially the outer edges.. I'm with u on that.
So few steaks, so many years

Lensman

Well as I said it's the best steak I've literally ever had, hands down. I THINK I flavor my steak like the outlaw with butter, lemon juice and Lowry's seasoning... so after seeing some food reviews on the vlogs, I was curious about the steaks, cause I need it tender for I am in the middle of getting my dental issues worked out.
Yes though the marbled fat intertwined within the meat just cant be beat, especially the outer edges.. I'm with u on that.
So few steaks, so many years
Here's a guy who actually got a whole ribeye cap to himself:

And I think this is where he bought it:

I don't know how meat-obsessed you are, but I'm fascinated by the following ribeye cap video for butchers:

Anyway, apologies for indulging my newfound obsession with the new ribeye cap cut. And thank you for starting the discussion or I would never have known that it had become a thing!

Good luck with the dental issues. I remember i spent a year with a dental issue that forced me to eat on one side of my mouth.

HouCuseChickie

I've always heard that Bull & Bear is the place to go in Orlando, but I know most people want something on property.

I have had decent steak at Yachtsman, but after two so/so experiences at Le Cellier, that's a big no for us. I know most people give Shula's high marks, but I don't like going to Disney to eat someplace that I can go to at home...and since Shula's is not the best steak at home...well, it all kind of colors my opinion.

Joesixtoe

Original Poster
Here's a guy who actually got a whole ribeye cap to himself:

And I think this is where he bought it:

I don't know how meat-obsessed you are, but I'm fascinated by the following ribeye cap video for butchers:

Anyway, apologies for indulging my newfound obsession with the new ribeye cap cut. And thank you for starting the discussion or I would never have known that it had become a thing!

Good luck with the dental issues. I remember i spent a year with a dental issue that forced me to eat on one side of my mouth.

You know I have looked into the whole what's the best cut of meat, but I guess I didn't delve into it like you. I think because I just dont have the money or the know how to really cook it like it should be. I'm still a bit confused on the whole aged meat thing, if it's legit or just a myth... anyway yeah dental issues are no fun, glad ur still eating steak!

Lensman

You know I have looked into the whole what's the best cut of meat, but I guess I didn't delve into it like you. I think because I just dont have the money or the know how to really cook it like it should be. I'm still a bit confused on the whole aged meat thing, if it's legit or just a myth... anyway yeah dental issues are no fun, glad ur still eating steak!
There's nothing to feel bad about. I eat chicken 90% of the time, but when I do have a steak I want it to be a good one. Luckily, after working out my dental issues, I'm back to being able to handle the chewier cuts, which is nice because there are some tasty ones like skirt steak (fajitas), flank steak, and hanger steak. That said, when I have a steak at home it's more likely to be from the loin family - ribeye, New York strip, t-bone, or porterhouse. I'd rather have a better steak less often than a tough one more often.

I wonder if my steak obsession is all because I'd usually only see my dad on my birthday, when he'd take me out for prime rib?

Anyway, back to aging beef. I'm reasonably sure that it works to make beef more tender and flavorful. Apparently, even most supermarket beef is wet-aged for a few days - though I have my doubts about a couple of steaks I bought at Target a few years ago. They were totally flavorless and had suspiciously long sell-by dates. Anyway, dry-aged beef isn't something that I am so snobby as to insist on, but it probably is something that I'll insist on if I'm going to pay a lot of money for a steak. Give it a try at least once and see if it's something you're willing to pay money for.

Regarding cooking, I hear you. I'm usually not willing to spend a lot of money to buy an expensive piece of meat only to do a sub-par job preparing it myself. I've definitely had a number of disasters and I'm just glad that I didn't spend $100 on an accidentally well-done rib roast. Lol

Joesixtoe

Original Poster
There's nothing to feel bad about. I eat chicken 90% of the time, but when I do have a steak I want it to be a good one. Luckily, after working out my dental issues, I'm back to being able to handle the chewier cuts, which is nice because there are some tasty ones like skirt steak (fajitas), flank steak, and hanger steak. That said, when I have a steak at home it's more likely to be from the loin family - ribeye, New York strip, t-bone, or porterhouse. I'd rather have a better steak less often than a tough one more often.

I wonder if my steak obsession is all because I'd usually only see my dad on my birthday, when he'd take me out for prime rib?

Anyway, back to aging beef. I'm reasonably sure that it works to make beef more tender and flavorful. Apparently, even most supermarket beef is wet-aged for a few days - though I have my doubts about a couple of steaks I bought at Target a few years ago. They were totally flavorless and had suspiciously long sell-by dates. Anyway, dry-aged beef isn't something that I am so snobby as to insist on, but it probably is something that I'll insist on if I'm going to pay a lot of money for a steak. Give it a try at least once and see if it's something you're willing to pay money for.

Regarding cooking, I hear you. I'm usually not willing to spend a lot of money to buy an expensive piece of meat only to do a sub-par job preparing it myself. I've definitely had a number of disasters and I'm just glad that I didn't spend $100 on an accidentally well-done rib roast. Lol
Exactly the same for me.. 90% chicken, but when I eat a steak, it has to be good or else my teeth are not strong enough to chew it right now. So yeah Its hard to make a good steak even when you spend a good amount on one... the only way I've been able to tenderize it enough is for me to cover it with course salt for about 30 minutes before cooking it. Problem is, it's kinda salty after that. Its tender, but a tad too salty.. so it's a work in progress.
I am going to a bday dinner in a few weeks and the restaurant says they have aged meat for like 28 days or something... so I'm thinking of trying it...
You know about your dad and him taking you out to prime rib makes sense... I lived with my mom most of my life and so watching sci-fi and eating hamburgers and French fries was my way of connecting with my dad, cause that's what we did when I saw him.. thanks for all the info đź‘Ť

Club Cooloholic

Exactly the same for me.. 90% chicken, but when I eat a steak, it has to be good or else my teeth are not strong enough to chew it right now. So yeah Its hard to make a good steak even when you spend a good amount on one... the only way I've been able to tenderize it enough is for me to cover it with course salt for about 30 minutes before cooking it. Problem is, it's kinda salty after that. Its tender, but a tad too salty.. so it's a work in progress.
I am going to a bday dinner in a few weeks and the restaurant says they have aged meat for like 28 days or something... so I'm thinking of trying it...
You know about your dad and him taking you out to prime rib makes sense... I lived with my mom most of my life and so watching sci-fi and eating hamburgers and French fries was my way of connecting with my dad, cause that's what we did when I saw him.. thanks for all the info đź‘Ť
A good and cheaper cut to make at home is the flat iron. Usually several dollars less than a strip or ribeye.

eliza61nyc

Never been a Le Cellier fan, I love Shula's and the Boathouse. The Boathouse was an all around great meal. every one in our party loved their food.

eliza61nyc

lol totally ot @Lensman . Last thanksgiving I'm at Whole foods and they are selling Wagyu Kobe beef steaks which supposedly are the king of the steak world. 100 bucks a pound. o_O I told the counter guy just what you said, that I've made some humongous boo-boos with steaks. He claim there was no way I could mess this up. I didn't go for it. IMO that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. saying "no way can you make a mistake" only ensures I'll make a mistake.

Ironically I did do a killer standing rib roast for the holidays.

Lensman

One last thing I'll mention is that I've had this Jaccard Supertendermatic my Amazon "saved for later" list for several years. There are some caveats to using it but I've been considering getting one ever since I heard that Cattleman's Steakhouse in OKC used them.

I've read about the salt-tenderization method and have wanted to try it. Do you rinse and dry the steak or just pat it dry after the salting?

Let me know what you think of the 28 day aged beef. I don't have *that* much experience with dry aged beef so it's hard for me to tell how much of the goodness is the dry aging vs the other factors (Angus/Prime/preparation/drinking).

OneofThree

Hate to break it to you but, WDW's food quality has been in decline for some time, perhaps nowhere more evident than in their "signature" establishments. During my last trip several months ago, I dined at both the Yachtsman and Le Cellier. The truth is, the steak at either probably lagged behind the best of what's available at your local Longhorn, Outback, or Roadhouse. Shula's on the other hand, is still among the better steakhouses. Again, for culinary experiences, look beyond the bubble.

OneofThree

My husband and I each had great steaks at Flying Fish on the Boardwalk last September

I actually had the crusted strip steak last May, and thought it was decent. Overall, Flying Fish has consistently managed to buck the Disney signature trend and deliver a very good experience for us. đź‘Ť

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

Original Poster
One last thing I'll mention is that I've had this Jaccard Supertendermatic my Amazon "saved for later" list for several years. There are some caveats to using it but I've been considering getting one ever since I heard that Cattleman's Steakhouse in OKC used them.

I've read about the salt-tenderization method and have wanted to try it. Do you rinse and dry the steak or just pat it dry after the salting?

Let me know what you think of the 28 day aged beef. I don't have *that* much experience with dry aged beef so it's hard for me to tell how much of the goodness is the dry aging vs the other factors (Angus/Prime/preparation/drinking).
I'll have to take a look at the Amazon thingy.. I go for our bday dinner next Friday and I'm 70% certain I'll get the aged steak since I hope I wont be paying lol.. umm yes rinse the salt and then pat dry it.. it seems to work, but again it was a bit salty.. the more thicker the salt the better, since it doesn't just melt into your steak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom