WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

piglet21

Birthday Cake from tonight - $55 mini cake delivered to le cellier!
My sketch
4EFFD81A-50AB-4096-B88B-F5F31E77C56D.jpeg

The cake!
1AF89D88-34EE-4590-8708-62D6A8B3A2F4.jpeg

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I just thought of something. I'm going to be celebrating my 40th at WDW and probably the 8:30pm Hoop Dee Doo show - will they deliver a cake there? The strwaberry shortcake is the best thing ever but I kinda want a cake too ?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I just thought of something. I'm going to be celebrating my 40th at WDW and probably the 8:30pm Hoop Dee Doo show - will they deliver a cake there? The strwaberry shortcake is the best thing ever but I kinda want a cake too ?

I know I've seen people post cakes delivered to Hoop Dee Doo. You can call Ft. Wilderness at the number listed below to put in your order and the cake would be done by the Contemporary bakery. I've pasted the most recent Ft. Wilderness cake info I can find below the phone number. I'm also going to post the most current Contemporary bakery's info beneath that as it should provide some additional insight into what all they can do.

Fort Wilderness Resort -407-824-2090
  • Mickey Mouse Celebration Dome Cake: $35 chocolate cake with chocolate mousse or vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse
  • 6-inch $35 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream; screen prints not available
  • 8-inch $50 custom vanilla, chocolate or marble cake; filling is chocolate or vanilla buttercream, white or dark chocolate mousse, fruit mousse or custard with strawberries; frosting is vanilla or chocolate buttercream or whipped cream
  • 10-inch $70 custom cake, same options as 8-inch custom cake
  • Screen print costs $32
  • Fancy, fondant-covered cakes and mini cakes can be ordered at the number above but are made by the pastry team at the Contemporary; prices start at $32 on top of the price for a basic cake in the size you want (see above) or $40 for two-tier mini cakes, which serve 2.

Contemporary Resort — 407-824-2955
This number is a voicemail box where you can leave your cake order; someone will call or email you back to discuss. To reach a real person via phone in order to reconfirm your order, call 407-824-3500 and ask to be transferred to Private Dining.

At least 1 week’s notice is required for elaborate cakes; simple cakes may be ordered 72 hours in advance. Orders may not be placed more than 90 days in advance.
  • Mickey Mouse Celebration Dome Cake: $35 chocolate cake with chocolate mousse or vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse
  • 6-inch $35 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream; screen prints not available
  • 8-inch $50 custom vanilla, chocolate or marble cake; filling is chocolate or vanilla buttercream, white or dark chocolate mousse, fruit mousse or custard with strawberries; frosting is vanilla or chocolate buttercream or whipped cream
  • 10-inch $70 custom cake, same options as 8-inch custom cake
  • Screen print costs $32
  • White chocolate Cinderella slipper dessert costs $15
  • Mini cakes are two tiers and serve 2. They are usually covered in buttercream, though fondant can be requested, and not all standard cake flavors may be available; prices start around $40
  • Fancy, fondant-covered cakes start at $32 on top of the price for a basic cake in the size you want (see above). Standard fillings are vanilla buttercream, white chocolate mousse, dark chocolate mousse, strawberry mousse, raspberry mousse, Amaretto mousse (+$5), peanut butter mousse (+$5) and Oreo mousse (a.k.a., The Grey Stuff, +$12); additional flavors may be available.

mishel635

I just ordered one for my niece’s Sweet 16 and I believe it was 72 hours- but for a customized cake I think a week might be a better idea. Here’s the number I called - 407-827-2253

Good luck!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
61 pages to sift through - how far in advance do I need to order a cake? looks like at least a week?

It's 72 hours in advance- minimum. Personally, I like to order 2-3 weeks in advance (or at least get the ball rolling), since you sometimes play phone tag for a while. LurkyLoo's Cake Options by location page is super helpful if you need contact info and what they can do.

mishel635

I had a great experience. It was my first time ordering a custom cake. The “manager” at the Yachtsmen was great to work with as was the person in the cake department that I talked with. It was my niece’s Sweet 16 trip and I couldn’t make it so I wanted to do something special for her dinner- ordered her the cake and got her custom ears. They even made a personalized menu.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I had a great experience. It was my first time ordering a custom cake. The “manager” at the Yachtsmen was great to work with as was the person in the cake department that I talked with. It was my niece’s Sweet 16 trip and I couldn’t make it so I wanted to do something special for her dinner- ordered her the cake and got her custom ears. They even made a personalized menu.

View attachment 346964

View attachment 346970

View attachment 346972

View attachment 346973

That's an absolutely stunning cake! Sure, I'm a sucker for gold and metallics, but still...really beautiful! So nice with the menu too!

astronautika

Hello everyone....I'd like to surprise my husband with an anniversary cake at our Ohana dinner. One of our favorite memories from our honeymoon trip was watching fireworks from Ohana. We'll be back there for our 15th anniversary, so I was thinking about a fireworks-themed cake. Disney seems to be pretty hit and miss on fireworks cakes, though! :-( I found this inspiration pic...Would they be able to use this photo as a 2D screenprint? Any tips on how to successfully translate this pic into cake?

Attachments

• fireworks inspiration.jpg
    fireworks inspiration.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 256

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hello everyone....I'd like to surprise my husband with an anniversary cake at our Ohana dinner. One of our favorite memories from our honeymoon trip was watching fireworks from Ohana. We'll be back there for our 15th anniversary, so I was thinking about a fireworks-themed cake. Disney seems to be pretty hit and miss on fireworks cakes, though! :-( I found this inspiration pic...Would they be able to use this photo as a 2D screenprint? Any tips on how to successfully translate this pic into cake?

Yeah...most of the fireworks cakes I've seen seem to miss the mark. They are also bound by all sorts of copyright issues with art used for cakes, so it's unlikely they can use your photo. What you can do is share that photo with them and see if they have anything like it in their approved images. You'll be working with the GF bakery, so they should be pretty well versed in what's available.

As for translating it to a cake, if it were me, I'd see if they could slope the top of the cake like a topsy turvy cake so that you can use that angling for perspective. I'd construct a little edible hill or even a beach on the lower end of the slope for 2D edible images of Mickey and Minnie. I'd have the 2d edible image of the castle and fireworks on the other side of the higher side of the cake. I'd also probably illuminate this side to have the castle stand out so that Mickey and Minnie's outlines would really stand out against it. Beyond that, fondant that's a mix of navy and black (water at night) and maybe they could hand paint some reflections of the fireworks onto the fondant. It's not in the image, but I might even like some palm trees (tall enough to stand out, but small enough to not dwarf the castle) to the left and right of Mickey and Minnie since the Poly is factoring into your plans. I'd almost like to see the trunks and fronds sort of frame them to make a conceptual heart.

Sorry...not sure if that makes any sense, but it's the image I have in my head.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I know I posted it somewhere in here, but who knows where. I just pulled it off of the front page just so nobody gets confused and hopefully they take the advice to just go to Lurkyloo's page. :)

I talked to Jane(?) at contemporary bakery last week, emailed her some ideas/photos and radio silence since. Getting frustrated coz I want my cake for next Saturday

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I talked to Jane(?) at contemporary bakery last week, emailed her some ideas/photos and radio silence since. Getting frustrated coz I want my cake for next Saturday

I've seen people (on another forum) voicing a number of frustrations with the Contemporary and cakes of late. They used to be the easiest bakery to work with of the bunch, but something must be going on. I've seen numerous people post about it taking them forever to get back with clients. I don't know if it's demand or if the removal of the email address also meant the restructuring of how they handle custom cakes. I'd call them today to find out what's going on. IMO, it shouldn't take this long and you should be able to get this squared away by this point. Hope it goes well and keep us posted!

MotherofaPrincessLover

How does it work when you have a cake delivered to your resort? Do you need to be in the room to get the cake? Can you request a time for it to be delivered? I'd prefer to not be in the room when it's delivered so it can be a surprise, but I don't know how that works.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
How does it work when you have a cake delivered to your resort? Do you need to be in the room to get the cake? Can you request a time for it to be delivered? I'd prefer to not be in the room when it's delivered so it can be a surprise, but I don't know how that works.

I've personally never had one delivered to my resort. Some of it also depends on the resort. Ex. for POR and POFQ, you have to pick up the cake at the resort food court or restaurant. For SSR, you have to pick up at Artist's Palette. All Stars, AOA, CBR and Pop are to your resort room or the food court. OKW you have to pick up your cakes at Olivia's. Coronado does their own thing and doesn't do fancy cakes, but I think they will deliver to rooms. I believe all of the deluxe resorts as well as Ft. Wilderness will deliver to rooms/cabins. I think Boardwalk allows for room delivery or bakery pick up.

Assuming I'm reading your signature correctly (BW and WL for 2019), you should be fine having a cake delivered directly to your room. I know I've read of other people who have had cakes delivered while they were out. I believe I've even read a few where the cake was waiting for them in their room upon arrival...like a check in surprise. Still, there's a lot of inconsistencies, so it's best to ask when placing your order.

plannerdisney

I'm ordering a mini cake to be delivered to California Grill for my son's 16th birthday dinner. Any ideas for a fun design that's focused on the "16" maybe with sparklers/fireworks? Just fun but not too kid like?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm ordering a mini cake to be delivered to California Grill for my son's 16th birthday dinner. Any ideas for a fun design that's focused on the "16" maybe with sparklers/fireworks? Just fun but not too kid like?

Most of the cake fireworks we saw in the past were disappointing. It was usually a blend of edible images of fireworks around the castle, piped frosting, dyed piped/hardened white chocolate, and sometimes stick mounted decor. Even as our kids have gotten older, we've stuck with favorite characters or attractions for cake themes. Maybe there's a favorite ride that could be incorporated into the cake as well as the 16?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom