Magical Express

ctcdisneymama

Original Poster
I'm going to Disney in a few months and we are using Magical Express for the first time. We are landing fairly early in the morning with the idea of going to Disney Springs during the day. A few questions about Magical Express since I'm a newbie -

If we don't put the tags on our luggage can we still grab our luggage and use Magical Express?

Will the hotel lobbies hold your luggage for you until your room is ready?

rcapolete

Yes you can. We flew in the night before and stayed at the Hyatt by the airport. Collected our luggage and took it to the hotel that night. Early the next morning we brought our luggage back to the Magical Express and they placed it under the bus. Never had to go to the front desk as the bell hops took them from out front the hotel and had them delivered to our room.
Though if at all possible makes much more sense to add tags and have magical Express handle the whole process

Weather_Lady

I'm going to Disney in a few months and we are using Magical Express for the first time. We are landing fairly early in the morning with the idea of going to Disney Springs during the day. A few questions about Magical Express since I'm a newbie -

If we don't put the tags on our luggage can we still grab our luggage and use Magical Express?

Will the hotel lobbies hold your luggage for you until your room is ready?

Yes to both.

You can forgo the tags and transport your luggage from the airport yourself (it will ride under the DME bus) and leave it at your hotel's Bell Services desk until you want to have it delivered to your room. Note that it's customary in such cases to tip both the DME driver who will put your luggage under the bus and get it out at your destination, AND the Bell Services delivery person who brings the bags to your room when call for them, a gratuity of $1-$2 per bag. We travel carryon-only and don't check bags at all, so we always keep ours with us throughout the journey and then leave them with Bell Services.

Alternatively, you can have DME handle your bags, which would allow you to head to DS directly if you wished, rather than first going to your hotel. While it's true that you won't know if the bags get "lost" until they don't show up in your room within a few hours, that's a very unlikely outcome.

Last edited:

Rob562

My concern is if our luggage is lost we won't know until later that day when it's not in the room.

When you check in at the DME desk, they usually will ask how many bags with yellow tags you have. If one doesn't show up, they will act as your agent and work with the airline to locate the bag. It's one of the side benefits that most people don't know about or realize when using the DME luggage services.

Most of the time, luggage that is "lost" really just missed a connection or was too late to make it onto the plane you flew on. (Though yes, occasionally a bag does get sent somewhere else... When it gets to the incorrect location the airline can route it to Orlando) And even if these delays happen, the vast majority of Guests are oblivious to it. They arrive, check in and head to the parks. When they get to their room that evening and all their bags are there, they don't question it and never realize that perhaps one of them was really brought to the room 3 hours after the others.

However, if it'll make you rest easier collecting your own bags and bringing them on the bus with you, feel free to do so.

-Rob

daisyduckie

Yes you can. We flew in the night before and stayed at the Hyatt by the airport. Collected our luggage and took it to the hotel that night. Early the next morning we brought our luggage back to the Magical Express and they placed it under the bus. Never had to go to the front desk as the bell hops took them from out front the hotel and had them delivered to our room.
Though if at all possible makes much more sense to add tags and have magical Express handle the whole process

The taking your bags right to your room is rare, if you bring your bags to the resort yourself. I've only had that happen once out of more than a dozen trips. Usually if you bring your bags to the resort you check them with bell services and then have to call down for them once you return to your room.

Is there a reason you want to get your own bags instead of letting Disney handle them?

ctcdisneymama

Original Poster
The taking your bags right to your room is rare, if you bring your bags to the resort yourself. I've only had that happen once out of more than a dozen trips. Usually if you bring your bags to the resort you check them with bell services and then have to call down for them once you return to your room.

Is there a reason you want to get your own bags instead of letting Disney handle them?

No particular reason. I have never used the service before so wasn't sure how reliable it is. I also won't have a carry on bag so everything will be in checked luggage.

daisyduckie

No particular reason. I have never used the service before so wasn't sure how reliable it is. I also won't have a carry on bag so everything will be in checked luggage.

For what my opinion is worth, it is not wise to have no carry on at all. What if the airline loses your luggage?

Not to mention, if you have any meds you need they should go with you onto the aircraft. Never into checked luggage. And the same goes for anything of value.

dreamfinder

For what my opinion is worth, it is not wise to have no carry on at all. What if the airline loses your luggage?

This. Common sense does dictate to carry one days worth of stuff with you onboard the plane. You would take DME to your resort anyways, so just drop it with bell services if your room isn't ready. Now even though DME will typically work with the airline on your behalf if your bag gets lost so you might not even know it's missing, stuff may happen where it gets delayed overnight. And your clothing choices at WDW might be a bit limited (unless you want a reason to buy new clothes from Disney Springs).

mmnw

If i take the DME I don’t put the tags on and I handle my luggage myself. That way, if my room is ready when I arrive I can take my luggage to my room rather than have it delivered at 1:00 AM (and yes it happens.).

Shouldigo12

I would strongly suggest bringing a small carry on with essentials in it. A change of clothes, toothbrush, medicication, wallet. And definitely keep your magic band on you.

ctcdisneymama

Original Poster
If i take the DME I don’t put the tags on and I handle my luggage myself. That way, if my room is ready when I arrive I can take my luggage to my room rather than have it delivered at 1:00 AM (and yes it happens.).

Thank you. I think we will plan on doing that. We land at 10am and have requested early check - in so hopefully by the time we get to our resort our room is ready.

gsansone

Just came back last night. What I feel (after at least 5-10 DME trips) is that the buses from airport could run a little more efficiently. They hang out and monitor flights and wait for planes to come in, sometimes leaving passengers sitting and waiting a lot. Also, the bus drivers literally drive 30-35 mph the whole way. It took me 2 hours to fly to Orlando, and another 2 hours to get to my resort after I landed. I think I many use Lyft from now on.

mmnw

I don’t care for the way back to the airport. We’ve tried to get on earlier DME when we realize we need more time to get to the airport. That is a hassle. When we do get in an earlier bus, we are still running through the airport. We prefer to arrange our own transportation. Yes, it costs more, but who wants to run through the airport on your way home?!
Just came back last night. What I feel (after at least 5-10 DME trips) is that the buses from airport could run a little more efficiently. They hang out and monitor flights and wait for planes to come in, sometimes leaving passengers sitting and waiting a lot. Also, the bus drivers literally drive 30-35 mph the whole way. It took me 2 hours to fly to Orlando, and another 2 hours to get to my resort after I landed. I think I many use Lyft from now on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom