Is Universal Studios Planning A STAR TREK Themed Land For The Rumored 4th Park In Orlando?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...d-for-the-rumored-4th-park-in-orlando-a160846

This week saw the reveal that Disneyland's Star Wars themed area, Galaxy's Edge, would open to the public in Summer 2019, and now it's being reported that Universal may well be including a Star Trek land in their long-rumored 4th park in Orlando, Florida.

Sources close to DisneyAndMe have confirmed recent comments made by Lance Hart from Screamscape, who spoke last month about a new Star Trek show that would be coming to Universal and they also made mention of a Star Trek area.

"Lance is correct that a live stage show is getting shuffled between the Bourne Identity or Star Trek, and a Star Trek sci-fi area is being highly consideed to hit back WDW DHS Star Wars land. If Universal does a Star Trek sci-fi area it will be very sci-fi city-like and not too alien planet like most would think. And with an anchor attraction. And maybe something very similar to the recently announced Transformers area that's going to be in Universal Beijing"

This "non-planet" area with an "anchored attraction" doesn't sound too dissimilar to the planned Landmark Entertainment designed USS Enterprise that was going to exist in Las Vegas a few years ago. Whether Universal's plans are anything to that cost or scale remains to be seen but with the franchise back on its feet in both film and television, now might be the time to fork out the money.

This isn't the first time that Universal has gone in on a Star Trek attraction, as the studio had a live-action stage show called Star Trek Adventures back in the late 1980's and the beloved Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton that ran from 1998 to 2008, which sorely missed by fans who have been clamouring for something similar since. Maybe this is it.

OG Runner

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...d-for-the-rumored-4th-park-in-orlando-a160846

This week saw the reveal that Disneyland's Star Wars themed area, Galaxy's Edge, would open to the public in Summer 2019, and now it's being reported that Universal may well be including a Star Trek land in their long-rumored 4th park in Orlando, Florida.

Sources close to DisneyAndMe have confirmed recent comments made by Lance Hart from Screamscape, who spoke last month about a new Star Trek show that would be coming to Universal and they also made mention of a Star Trek area.

"Lance is correct that a live stage show is getting shuffled between the Bourne Identity or Star Trek, and a Star Trek sci-fi area is being highly consideed to hit back WDW DHS Star Wars land. If Universal does a Star Trek sci-fi area it will be very sci-fi city-like and not too alien planet like most would think. And with an anchor attraction. And maybe something very similar to the recently announced Transformers area that's going to be in Universal Beijing"

This "non-planet" area with an "anchored attraction" doesn't sound too dissimilar to the planned Landmark Entertainment designed USS Enterprise that was going to exist in Las Vegas a few years ago. Whether Universal's plans are anything to that cost or scale remains to be seen but with the franchise back on its feet in both film and television, now might be the time to fork out the money.

This isn't the first time that Universal has gone in on a Star Trek attraction, as the studio had a live-action stage show called Star Trek Adventures back in the late 1980's and the beloved Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton that ran from 1998 to 2008, which sorely missed by fans who have been clamouring for something similar since. Maybe this is it.

You ride on the bridge of either the original or TNG Enterprises. You are in a battle with Klingons or Romulans.
The shipped is rocked from side to side and back and forth. No restraints of any kind. You really experience the
action. :D

tribbleorlfl

Ya, I don't think even Paramount knows what Star Trek IP it owns anymore and with the lawsuits between CBS and Redstone, I don't think anyone outside the Viacom family would think a licensing deal would be a good investment right now.
The IP ownership situation is the exact reason I'm not putting much stock into this rumor, though I do remember @Disneyhead'71 saying a couple years ago ST was a serious possibility for a Disaster replacement prior to FF being announced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it. I'm a much bigger ST fan than SW, and I'd buy UO AP's again in a heartbeat if it were to happen.

Disneyhead'71

The IP ownership situation is the exact reason I'm not putting much stock into this rumor, though I do remember @Disneyhead'71 saying a couple years ago ST was a serious possibility for a Disaster replacement prior to FF being announced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it. I'm a much bigger ST fan than SW, and I'd buy UO AP's again in a heartbeat if it were to happen.
Those negotiations went south about 3.5 years ago. Paramount/CBS walked away from the offer.

I know of no new discussions between Uni and P/CBS. That in no way means there aren't, I simply haven't heard of any.

cheezbat

Ahh...if only we got Trek over the dumpsterfire known as Fast and Furious...

Then again, I'd much rather have a whole land than just one attraction for Star Trek.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Any highly immersive land where you can count on fans to bring their own costumes is bound to succeed.

I tend to agree. Trek could be an immersive land as much if not more than Potter, it has longevity and a very long heritage of followers and fans not all that much different than what Disney bought into with its build in DHS.

I'm rather liking this ping pong between Disney and Uni, it is forcing each corporation to bring it to the table in Orlando. It is to the tourist advantage to have choices and NEW things finally at each of the competing corporations parks. I say bring it!

lebeau

About as believable as the Lord Of The Rings rumours.

So, pretty credible is what you're trying to say? ;)

I kid, I kid. No one knows anything and those that do know aren't talking. I won't be surprised if both rumors turn out to be false. But I also wouldn't be surprised if one or both turned out to be true. Time will tell.

lebeau

What next ... Police Academy ?

I'm not sure how you get from Lord of the Rings and Star Trek to Police Academy, but, eh, I guess anything is possible. We can at least agree that Universal will utilize some IP in this new park, right? They only own so many viable properties so it seems pretty likely that they are out there wheeling and dealing with just about everybody who owns a franchise that might be licensed. That may or may not include calling Steve Guttenberg.

winstongator

Ahh...if only we got Trek over the dumpsterfire known as Fast and Furious...

Then again, I'd much rather have a whole land than just one attraction for Star Trek.
Have you seen the box office numbers of F&F? Lots of money made overseas.

Pretty sure most people are counting the water park as the 3rd. I've seen it on here a few times.
So WDW has 5 parks? Water park attendance is a fraction of main park attendance. They've got a lot of land and I thought maybe the 3rd park is already full, and this got pushed to the next one.

JoeCamel

Have you seen the box office numbers of F&F? Lots of money made overseas.

So WDW has 5 parks? Water park attendance is a fraction of main park attendance. They've got a lot of land and I thought maybe the 3rd park is already full, and this got pushed to the next one.
WDW has 6 parks and advertises as such to non US visitors.

F&F is a 5 billion franchise. It needs to be in the parks - just not this way.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Those negotiations went south about 3.5 years ago. Paramount/CBS walked away from the offer.

I know of no new discussions between Uni and P/CBS. That in no way means there aren't, I simply haven't heard of any.
This.. I haven't heard anything since Paramount walked from the deal. It's possible that Paramount is looking for more Park presences since pulling out of the London Paramount Park, but I haven't heard anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom