Bringing an almost 4 yo

Rachellelynnxo

Original Poster
So we plan on going in 2021 to Disney World and our daughter would be turning 4 in May, and I wanna go in March or early April. We wanna go on our trip for 2 weeks, but only have 10 park passes. I am getting a double stroller but I am so afraid I'm gonna make her so tired the whole trip since it's gonna jam packed. How have you dealt with a preschooler in Disney. Thanks

buseegal

So we plan on going in 2021 to Disney World and our daughter would be turning 4 in May, and I wanna go in March or early April. We wanna go on our trip for 2 weeks, but only have 10 park passes. I am getting a double stroller but I am so afraid I'm gonna make her so tired the whole trip since it's gonna jam packed. How have you dealt with a preschooler in Disney. Thanks
will she be your only child? why the double stroller? if you are planning to rent I would do an offsite rental not the hard plastic of Disney. have done with many preschool grandkids but never as an only. make your arrival and departure days nonpark days so you now have 12 days to divide into 10 park days. if you plan on a lot of character meals I would plan one for arrival day and middle of trip at a resort not a park. before you even plan character meals how is she with characters? middle of trip day a nonpark day just get when you wake up not on a schedule early up. maybe do a late night show/fireworks the night before. the biggest thing is to remember to go at her speed not yours. plan down time and pool time into your trip. take lots of pictures and have a great trip

Rachellelynnxo

Original Poster
will she be your only child? why the double stroller? if you are planning to rent I would do an offsite rental not the hard plastic of Disney. have done with many preschool grandkids but never as an only. make your arrival and departure days nonpark days so you now have 12 days to divide into 10 park days. if you plan on a lot of character meals I would plan one for arrival day and middle of trip at a resort not a park. before you even plan character meals how is she with characters? middle of trip day a nonpark day just get when you wake up not on a schedule early up. maybe do a late night show/fireworks the night before. the biggest thing is to remember to go at her speed not yours. plan down time and pool time into your trip. take lots of pictures and have a great trip

Thanks a lot. I plan on getting a double stroller because if I don't want to carry our backpacks, I can put it in the stroller. I found a website that is off resort that will deliver to our hotel. I don't know if she'll be good with characters or not. She's only 1 now. I believe she will be our only child. She loves watching disney junior shows.

Gomer

One suggestion, and I'm not sure it works for you, would be to skip the ten day pass and get a AP. I don't think there's too much difference in cost at that point.

The biggest suggestion I can give to anyone taking a child under 5 (and I've done it a bunch of times) is to take it easy while in the parks, take long breaks at the hotel, and allow your child to direct you in what to do and how long to do it. If they're happy, you'll be happy.

And it's much easier to follow that advice when you aren't constantly worrying about getting your value out of your day. So, with the AP, you are free to come and go as you please. 2 hours here, 4 hours there.

That's how I have done every trip with my kids, and I've never had a problem with over-exhaustion or crankiness that way.

HouCuseChickie

My older one was a little over 4 on her first visit. My friend and I were recently discussing how she and I are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. She keeps reducing her plans because she's afraid of all of this being too much for her son who is around this age. She is trying to maintain their at home schedule for meals and bed, etc...I, on the other hand, jammed in as much as I possibly could whenever I could- with 1 rule. That rule- we had to go back to the resort each day for significant nap and downtime. Even if they don't nap normally, they are usually so exhausted that they will nap at Disney. I used snacks to help push around meal times and those naps and downtime away from the energy and noises of the park meant being able to last for fireworks and be OK with crack of dawn character meals.

As for the double stroller, it's all about where you want the added bulk and weight. I'd rather a larger back pack on my back. We had our times when we needed a double for our two girls, but I would never bring a double if I didn't have two children that needed it. It's a pain in the butt on the bus or monorail or boat if you have to fold it, it's not as easy to push around and park, it takes up more space in your room which can feel pretty cramped if you're not at one of the monorail resorts (even was a room hog in the Epcot resort rooms), and if you plan on leaving bags in there while you go on attractions, you open yourself up to a greater possibility of theft.

Weather_Lady

My daughter was just over 4 for her first WDW visit. We toured every day from rope drop to lunch, and from 4pm-9pm or 10pm, with a nap break in between. (Essentially, we were preserving her typical wake-up/nap/bedtime routines.) Thanks to the daily nap, she (and her 6-year-old brother) did just great -- and we didn't use a stroller at all. Both kids were long potty-trained at that point, so the few essentials we wanted to bring with us to the parks (a few Band-Aids, sunglasses, extra sunscreen, Handi-Wipes, autograph book, phone) fit in a small crossbody purse.

In our experience, there's no point in trying to "do it all" if that means one or both of our kids are going to end up tired and miserable (which in turn ruins it for everybody). If we keep the kids and ourselves well-rested and take ample restroom/snack/meal breaks, even if we have to skip an attraction or two to make it happen, we'll all enjoy the things we do get done far more. With 10 days in the parks, OP, you should be able to do absolutely everything you want (plus repeat your favorites) without having to be on the run every minute.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
We went last year about 1.5 months before our daughter's 4th birthday (her first trip). Day 1 we woke the kids up at about 4 am to make the flight and we kept them up through Happily Every After without any break/nap in the middle... they were all zombies (and very cranky) by the time we went back to the hotel. Subsequent days, we got the kids up around 7ish, had breakfast and usually made rope drop (or soon after), played in the park until lunch, went back to the hotel for either a nap or just to relax (in the pool), then went back to the pack by 3:30ish through the night time show at whatever respective park we were at. My oldest (6.5 at the time) probably would have been fine without the nap, but my almost 4 year old needed it. Every day they had that break in the middle, they were good to go at the end. We had eight straight days in the parks and even with mid-day naps, that was sufficient to see everything we wanted.

If I had two weeks (10 days in the parks), stick with the afternoon nap every day, but then maybe do a cycle of 3 days in the park, 1 day off, 3 days in the park, 1 day off, 2 days in the park, 2 day off, 2 day in the park. Use the days off to sleep in, shop, or do other activities that might not be so exhausting. You should be fine.

Rachellelynnxo

Original Poster
One suggestion, and I'm not sure it works for you, would be to skip the ten day pass and get a AP. I don't think there's too much difference in cost at that point.

The biggest suggestion I can give to anyone taking a child under 5 (and I've done it a bunch of times) is to take it easy while in the parks, take long breaks at the hotel, and allow your child to direct you in what to do and how long to do it. If they're happy, you'll be happy.

And it's much easier to follow that advice when you aren't constantly worrying about getting your value out of your day. So, with the AP, you are free to come and go as you please. 2 hours here, 4 hours there.

That's how I have done every trip with my kids, and I've never had a problem with over-exhaustion or crankiness that way.
What is AP?

Tk0021

We took our now 5 year old when she was 3 and 4. She had fun on both trips but she seemed to get so much more out of the 4 year old trip. As a three year old she was skeptical around all the characters if she would even look at them, but as a four year old she would interact with all of them. I think it’s hard to rush around with a four year old so take it a littl slow.

ColinP29

2021? That is some mega planning. This must be some kind of troll?

If not, Can you even book hotels etc 3 years in advance? Surely any tickets you have now won't be valid in 2021?

Dreaming of Disney World

We just took my daughter at age 3.75 years. She did great! We did 3 park days, followed by a pool/playground day at the resort, followed by 2 park days. We would arrive around park opening and stay until 6-7 pm most nights and stayed until closing 1 night. She didn't nap. She did great and loved it! Having a table service lunch or dinner is a good way to relax for a bit. She did a mix of walking and riding in the stroller. I don't think you need a double stroller. You could put a backpack in the bottom of the stroller and hang another one off the back. One suggestion for the stroller is to bring a rain cover. We didn't think of this, and ours got soaked and smelled like mildew every day. It was gross. Also bring ponchos and comfortable waterproof sandals for everyone. My sneakers were soaked and stinky. Fortunately my kids had waterproof sandals and were fine. Another thing, you might know about this, but in case you don't, definitely do your research on fast passes. We booked ours in advance for the mornings, and once those were gone we would continue booking more. When we were waiting for our next fastpass times to begin we would look at our Disney World app and find the rides with lower wait times. So we rarely waited in line more than a half hour, which made for happier kids (and parents). Another tip is to make use of the play areas. My kids had better behavior when they had opportunities to freely run/climb/play. Magic Kingdom has a play area inside the Dumbo line and a smaller one by Splash Mountain. Animal Kingdom has a large one in the dinosaur area. Epcot has a small play area near the Finding Nemo ride. Hollywood Studios currently doesn't have any play areas (though who knows for 2021), and that was the hardest day for my kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom