News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

BrianLo

Are there any views of the new Poly tower from the Wedding Pavilion that you would be taking pictures of? Most of the shots are away from it.

Agreed, I think the issues are being a bit overstated. If anything the major problem is that it’s being wedged by DVC and not hotel rooms where the guests could more easily stay. Though a bigger unit for the family, bride/groom etc is a nice feature.

I’ve been to several resort weddings recently and I see no real issue. I guess if the goal was ultimate seclusion, they could have a second wedding venue on bay lake. But some people like being in the heart of things, but still having their own carved out space, which this venue provides. It’s very similar to Aulani now.

Maybe Reflections could carry a wedding venue as well if they really have their business impacted (which I doubt, I’m sure that venue is in extreme demand).

Incomudro

Are there any people who still insist that this thing does not look like a Hampton Inn?

Great job, Disney. They've even managed to exceed the lazy mediocrity that has become their signature lately.
It's really awful.
Yes, it's not done yet - but it still won't be anything special when it is.
There was a time when Disney hotels took you away somewhere with theming.

Beacon Joe

I'll throw this question in here again: does anybody know if this new tower will feature a gym? Or will the small Grand Floridian gym now play host to 3 hotels ' worth of guests instead of the current 2?

Beacon Joe

ugly.jpg

I'd like to apologize to the Polyday Inn defenders. I am sorry. After seeing the paint job, I now realize that this new DVC tower is super appropriate since its design appears reminiscent of a real complex in Polynesia.

The Hale Moena affordable housing units in Kapolei, but with balconies. I reckon a Disney unimagineer saw the first tower while driving from Aulani to the local Foodland, and got inspired.

kapolei.jpg

aulani_to_foodland.JPG

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I'll throw this question in here again: does anybody know if this new tower will feature a gym? Or will the small Grand Floridian gym now play host to 3 hotels ' worth of guests instead of the current 2?
I have no information on it to "know," but, yes, a gym is my best guess for the first floor near the pool.

I'm talking about the red area below that has an exterior entrance, next to pool bathrooms and showers (purple area), and has no discernable plumbing to support alternative uses. The location at the corner of the building is too prime to be merely storage.
Screenshot_20240422_145351_Photos.jpg

Disstevefan1

View attachment 780983

I'd like to apologize to the Polyday Inn defenders. I am sorry. After seeing the paint job, I now realize that this new DVC tower is super appropriate since its design appears reminiscent of a real complex in Polynesia.

The Hale Moena affordable housing units in Kapolei, but with balconies. I reckon a Disney unimagineer saw the first tower while driving from Aulani to the local Foodland, and got inspired.

View attachment 780998

View attachment 780999
The unaffordable PolyDay Inn DVC tower is modeled against the Hale Moena affordable housing units in Kapolei, LOL - NOW it makes sense!

Virtual Toad

Oh dear, that is awful. Between this and the "Reflectionization" of the Ft. Wilderness cabins, it seems the campaign towards Disneyocrity (tm) is proceeding full speed ahead.

There was a time when DVC was complimentary to the WDW experience and in some ways even "plussed" it. The Railroad Room at the original Wilderness Lodge DVC building is a great example of that. But those days are long gone.

DVC has become a cancer blight that is literally killing much of the greatness that made WDW special. Sigh.

ETA: Some have pointed out they feel the use of the word cancer is both hyperbolic and inappropriate so I have changed it to "blight" with apologies to anyone who feels this might have been an excessive or over-dramatic expression of opinion.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

These takes are getting ridiculous. It's a hotel tower. It might annoy you slightly based on where you were staying and the room view, but beyond that come on.
I'm sorry, we can agree to disagree, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I suggest reading up on WDW history to understand why my opinion (and the opinions of others here) on this topic are far from ridiculous.

Walt Disney yearned for the "blessing of size" and what followed for decades at WDW was exactly what he wanted: a meticulously crafted fantasy environment free from the pressures of misguided and/or incongruous overdevelopment.

Michael Eisner and the Disney management of his era managed to expand the resort exponentially in ways that added a massive increase in hotel capacity with minimal intrusion to existing development, while also staying true to the spirit of the resort in terms of architectural and creative quality consistent to the brand.

Cynically plopping down generic high-rises void of craftsmanship or creativity right in the middle of one of the most incredible urban development projects ever created-- and expecting no one to care-- is what is truly ridiculous.

Again, agree to disagree and I respect your opinion. But please try to understand the perspective of those who may feel otherwise.

plutofan15

I'm sorry, we can agree to disagree, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I suggest reading up on WDW history to understand why my opinion (and the opinions of others here) on this topic are far from ridiculous.

Walt Disney yearned for the "blessing of size" and what followed for decades at WDW was exactly what he wanted: a meticulously crafted fantasy environment free from the pressures of misguided and/or incongruous overdevelopment.

Michael Eisner and the Disney management of his era managed to expand the resort exponentially in ways that added a massive increase in hotel capacity with minimal intrusion to existing development, while also staying true to the spirit of the resort in terms of architectural and creative quality consistent to the brand.

Cynically plopping down generic high-rises void of craftsmanship or creativity right in the middle of one of the most incredible urban development projects ever created-- and expecting no one to care-- is what is truly ridiculous.

Again, agree to disagree and I respect your opinion. But please try to understand the perspective of those who may feel otherwise.
I am not a fan of the high rise trend either but saying "DVC has become a cancer that is literally killing much of the greatness that made WDW special." is a bit overdramatic. Just my take and may have been what pdude81 was referring to. (pdude81, please correct me if I am wrong).

Virtual Toad

I am not a fan of the high rise trend either but saying "DVC has become a cancer that is literally killing much of the greatness that made WDW special." is a bit overdramatic. Just my take and may have been what pdude81 was referring to. (pdude81, please correct me if I am wrong).
I can understand the defense of DVC (there are those who absolutely love it, those like me who have been tempted to buy in over the years but decided against it, and those who despise its very existence. Again, some of the DVC additions have been complimentary to the resort. The bungalow trend IMHO pushed the envelope of what was acceptable in terms of DVC overdevelopment but there was at least an attempt at thematic covesiveness.

But to clarify my cancer comment, I feel the historically recent 15-ish story DVC towers are in fact a cancerous blight on the resort. Would these even be considered for construction as part of any responsible master plan without the irresistible lure of easy DVC money? Was any consideration made in terms of maintaining developmental integrity and upholding creative standards? Or (as it seems to me) are they now totally okay with putting up a standard-issue hotel tower, slapping a DVC sign out front and calling it a day?

The practice of ill-advised placement and construction of high-rise DVC properties, along with a reckless abandonment of once-treasured architectural and creative standards in favor of a style and quality that can literally be found anywhere else on earth, is slowly eating away at the very heart of what made WDW a global phenomenon in the first place. Not unlike a cancer. Possibly hyperbolic? Perhaps, but I feel it's a valid analogy and worthy of discussion.

Incomudro

Not to me it isn't.
This is like putting up Soviet housing projects in my eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom