Disneyland Resort's most important day since the opening of DCA

Kamikaze

Original Poster
I don't think thats hyperbole.

The issue will be the closure of Magic Way. It will be the sticking point brought up ad nauseum, and Disneyland Forward will have to be drastically altered if that closure is not allowed. The locals who use it as a cut through to get onto the highway will be out in force.

All the other changes (and the other two road closures) should be a formality.

Meeting will be streamed here - starts at 4PM PDT: https://www.youtube.com/@AnaheimMeetings

Last edited:

TP2000

Honestly, unless something drastic happens, I don't think at this point there's much danger of this being denied.

Agreed.

The politicians will say Important Things that Value Key Stakeholders and Maintain Equity As Our North Star, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

And then the zoning change for DisneylandForward will be approved. ;)

Kamikaze

Original Poster
Honestly, unless something drastic happens, I don't think at this point there's much danger of this being denied.
The overall plan will be approved. Its just the closure of Magic Way that might not be approved. Or it will be approved by a small margin.

Kamikaze

Original Poster
Also, looks like they're starting at 4PM PDT, they must expect it to go long. The last two meetings with DLF as the main subject went 7+ hours and 9+ hours.

SSG

Some weirdo is babbling about Disney being satanic p#rnographers. God bless democracy.

Anaheim  Council.jpg

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So far public opinion has skewed toward favoring the project, even people that live on Walnut. It seems that those upset about losing Magic Way haven't given any meaningful reasons as to why and just veer off on rants about how Disney is a greedy corporation. People that favor have given many more examples of how Disney has helped the community.

Disney Analyst

So far public opinion has skewed toward favoring the project, even people that live on Walnut. It seems that those upset about losing Magic Way haven't given any meaningful reasons as to why and just veer off on rants about how Disney is a greedy corporation. People that favor have given many more examples of how Disney has helped the community.

Some of the comments from the naysayers are unhinged.

mickEblu

Lots of industry leaders speaking in support. Far more compelling than the few angry residents who seemingly loathe Disney.

I happen to feel bad for Joey Walnut who doesn’t want to lose his shortcut (that only exists because of Disney in the first place) to the 5 freeway

SSG

I happen to feel bad for Joey Walnut who doesn’t want to lose his shortcut (that only exists because of Disney in the first place) to the 5 freeway
Joey Nuts needs to grow a pair because his beef seemed to be that he would have to drive 30 seconds more to Ball and take a right to get on with his day.

CaptinEO

It’s still going? Why all the theatrics? They re obviously approving this.
It's to "give the public a voice" for a vote the council already had lined up. It's so the complainers can believe they have been heard.

Just like when utility companies hold public hearings over rate increases.

MoonRakerSCM

Is Magic Way really a shortcut for anyone just passing through any direction? Aren't you just taking the opposite side of a rectangle to get to the same place?

I'm not watching the crazy's complain to the city... but has anyone actually shown/proven that it is actually a 'shortcut'? Or is it just a slightly different way that a single person or two nearby started using years ago out of habit?

I fail to see ANY way the street is useful for people not heading to the Disneyland hotel etc...

SSG

Is Magic Way really a shortcut for anyone just passing through any direction? Aren't you just taking the opposite side of a rectangle to get to the same place?

I'm not watching the crazy's complain to the city... but has anyone actually shown/proven that it is actually a 'shortcut'? Or is it just a slightly different way that a single person or two nearby started using years ago out of habit?

I fail to see ANY way the street is useful for people not heading to the Disneyland hotel etc...
If I'm remembering correctly, one of the charts said about 30 cars went through there in a day. Meaning cars that weren't going to a Disney related destination.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If I'm remembering correctly, one of the charts said about 30 cars went through there in a day. Meaning cars that weren't going to a Disney related destination.
And wasn't it something like only 10% of all traffic going through there wasn't related to Disney? I know they took samples from M-Th, F, and an average over the weekend.

I think it was Jose Diaz that made the argument on Disney's behalf that Disney would ideally need that road for backstage access and utilities.

It was also made clear that it would remain accessible for pedestrians (along with a lit crosswalk across Walnut) and one of the reps said that there will be a way for pedestrians to travel from Walnut to Harbor. I'm assuming part of that path with be through DTD though.

SSG

And wasn't it something like only 10% of all traffic going through there wasn't related to Disney? I know they took samples from M-Th, F, and an average over the weekend.

I think it was Jose Diaz that made the argument on Disney's behalf that Disney would ideally need that road for backstage access and utilities.

It was also made clear that it would remain accessible for pedestrians (along with a lit crosswalk across Walnut) and one of the reps said that there will be a way for pedestrians to travel from Walnut to Harbor. I'm assuming part of that path with be through DTD though.
I saw this in MC:

A concern of many local residents continues to be the closure of Magic Way to through traffic (between Disneyland Drive and Walnut Street). In response, Disney conducted an impact study that determined 99% of daily trips on Magic Way are Disney-related rather than people using that street as a “cut-through” from Walnut to Disneyland Drive (and the city validated the study). Disney also confirmed that Disney Way will remain open for pedestrians.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Also, another stipulation was that Disney will not be closing Magic Way until the improvements on the intersections of Ball/Walnut and Ball/Disneyland Dr. were completed.

Most of the Magic Way defenders kept repeating the same things (as if it was scripted) and always deflected it to other issues with Disney as a corporation. They were just Disney haters using Magic Way as some silly barganing chip for their hatred of Disney and the project.

The funnier thing was that they all kept calling it DisneyForward instead of DisneylandForward which showed how uninformed they were about it all and their mimicked scripted responses also showed that.

Another point Mr. Diaz made was that some of the complainers were saying it would make traffic worse on Walnut, but he pointed out that the Eastern Gateway would push most traffic to the east side since the new parking structure will have immediate access to I-5.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom