What are your travel plans this 2024?

wonderandmagic

Original Poster
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what kinds of trips you all have planned for 2024? My family and I are starting to think about where we'd like to go this year. We try to do one bigger international trip each year. So far we've talked about maybe going to Egypt it's either Cairo or Luxor but I'm keeping an open mind. I'd love to hear what kinds of adventures others here have.. if going into Egypt what are the fun things to do there? Local foods to try and destination that we could visit? Thank you in advance!

wjosephw

Your travel plans to Egypt and Luxor sound fascinating, @wonderandmagic! Egypt holds a treasure trove of history with sites like the Pyramids of Giza and Great Sphinx in Cairo. Though I've yet to visit Luxor, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Alexandria, learning about its roots in Greco-Roman culture under Alexander the Great. Strolling amongst the ruins conjured images of queens like Cleopatra who shaped this land. For safety and convenience getting around, I suggest arranging a private car instead of taking taxis if you’re like me who doesn’t like haggling. But an even better option is hiring a private car tour, which is essentially a private car with a local tour guide! When first exploring Egypt, I felt more at ease having expert commentary on cultural norms and negotiations. Guides also steer visitors away from problematic areas or products. In the past, photography was restricted in public too. While things have eased up, a guide ensures you respect boundaries while soaking up memorable sights. Wishing you and your family the very best for an enlightening Egyptian experience!

wonderandmagic

Original Poster
Hey there, thanks for sharing your travel plans to Egypt! Luxor does indeed look like a fascinating place to visit with so much history. I've never been myself but your experience in Alexandria sounds wonderful. I will be consider add Alexandria in my place to visit. A private car tour with a guide does sound like the best of both worlds. Do you have a guide lined up already that you'd recommend? It's so handy to have the cultural and safety insights they provide. and I should really keep in mind about Photography policies, I hadn't considered either about that so there will be no issue when I go there.

Vegas Disney Fan

We went to Norway, the Netherlands, France, and England last year so we’re staying closer to home this year, we are going to Kentucky to do the bourbon trail next month, hoping to go to Yellowstone this summer, and hoping to do an Alaskan cruise this fall. We both have new jobs so scheduling is a bit tricky this year.

We have DL APs so we’ll likely do a half dozen weekend trips there also.

My Gf really wants to tour the Christmas markets in Europe so we‘ll likely be heading overseas again next winter.

wonderandmagic

Original Poster
We went to Norway, the Netherlands, France, and England last year so we’re staying closer to home this year, we are going to Kentucky to do the bourbon trail next month, hoping to go to Yellowstone this summer, and hoping to do an Alaskan cruise this fall. We both have new jobs so scheduling is a bit tricky this year.

We have DL APs so we’ll likely do a half dozen weekend trips there also.

My Gf really wants to tour the Christmas markets in Europe so we‘ll likely be heading overseas again next winter.
Wow, that's a quite adventure you had last year. of all the places you've been last year where do you think is the best place? so I could add it in my lists to visit. I hope you have fun in your trail next month.

Songbird76

We did Disney last year and Wyoming (Yellowstone, some forts, and popping into South Dakota for the badlands) the year before that. We're staying closer to home this year and going for a week to Bavaria and Austria. We're a stone's throw from the German border, so we've done Germany before, and of course we've traveled a lot here in the Netherlands, and we've been to Paris, London, and Dublin, and Antwerp. I'd love to go to Italy, but I don't want to go in the summer when it's hot, so we're doing Salzburg this year for my kids' graduation trip. It's only a week, but it should be fun. We've seen Neuschwanstein castle and Hohenschwangau castle last time we did Germany, so I don't know that we'll do those again, but we'll probably do Linderhoff castle and Herrenchiemsee. Then on to Salzburg where we'll visit the truck fountains, maybe the zoo, and a few of the filming locations from Sound of Music, since those are also big tourist destinations, and then Mozart's birthplace and residence.

Egypt sounds interesting. My daughter has a friend who is from there. I'd love to see the sites, but I have been warned that it's kind of dirty there and that women, especially blonde women, are not particularly safe. And if a woman is unaccompanied, she's considered fair game, so if you go to the bathroom and your husband doesn't walk with you, you are more likely to be harassed. It makes me less than eager to go there, especially with my teenage daughter. Maybe someday I'll have the courage to go.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Wow, that's a quite adventure you had last year. of all the places you've been last year where do you think is the best place? so I could add it in my lists to visit. I hope you have fun in your trail next month.
If you enjoy the outdoors Norway is heaven on earth, it’s absolutely stunning, we spent most our trip just walking around looking at the scenery and hiking in the mountains.

London and Paris were both packed so that probably made the tranquility of Norway seem even better.

Marionnette

We're doing a transatlantic cruise later next month. We'll make stops in Portugal, Spain, France and then disembark in England where we will spend 3 nights before flying home. Then we have a conference in Disney World in the fall. In all likelihood, we will spend a few nights at the Jersey shore during the summer.

Next summer, we're returning to Europe to do a river cruise that includes the south of France and the Rhine.

wjosephw

Hey there, thanks for sharing your travel plans to Egypt! Luxor does indeed look like a fascinating place to visit with so much history. I've never been myself but your experience in Alexandria sounds wonderful. I will be consider add Alexandria in my place to visit. A private car tour with a guide does sound like the best of both worlds. Do you have a guide lined up already that you'd recommend? It's so handy to have the cultural and safety insights they provide. and I should really keep in mind about Photography policies, I hadn't considered either about that so there will be no issue when I go there.
You're most welcome! Engaging a local guide truly elevates the experience when exploring a destination steeped in rich cultural heritage and unfamiliarity. My visit was several years back and the tour company I utilized is no longer operational, I was fortunate to reconnect with Aton, the knowledgeable guide who had accompanied me previously. He informed me that he currently works with GoWithGuide. I haven’t used their guide services yet, but I highly recommend Aton. Regardless of your choice, my sincere hope is that you can seamlessly arrange for a car and guide, allowing you to delve into the remarkable sites of Cairo and Luxor with the invaluable insights and expertise they provide. Wishing you a safe and enriching journey!

wonderandmagic

Original Poster
You're most welcome! Engaging a local guide truly elevates the experience when exploring a destination steeped in rich cultural heritage and unfamiliarity. My visit was several years back and the tour company I utilized is no longer operational, I was fortunate to reconnect with Aton, the knowledgeable guide who had accompanied me previously. He informed me that he currently works with GoWithGuide. I haven’t used their guide services yet, but I highly recommend Aton. Regardless of your choice, my sincere hope is that you can seamlessly arrange for a car and guide, allowing you to delve into the remarkable sites of Cairo and Luxor with the invaluable insights and expertise they provide. Wishing you a safe and enriching journey!
I take a look for the Local Guide you mentioned https://gowithguide.com/egypt is this the one you are referring to? Just want to clarify, might consider as getting a local guide as @Songbird76 mentioned it's not that safe, so I think it would be better to get one. Thank you for the recommendations by the way!

wonderandmagic

Original Poster
We did Disney last year and Wyoming (Yellowstone, some forts, and popping into South Dakota for the badlands) the year before that. We're staying closer to home this year and going for a week to Bavaria and Austria. We're a stones throw from the German border, so we've done Germany before, and of course we've traveled a lot here in the Netherlands, and we've been to Paris, London, and Dublin, and Antwerp. I'd love to go to Italy, but I don't want to go in the summer when it's hot, so we're doing Salzburg this year for my kids' graduation trip. It's only a week, but it should be fun. We've seen Neuschwanstein castle and Hohenschwangau castle last time we did Germany, so I don't know that we'll do those again, but we'll probably do Linderhoff castle and Herrenchiemsee. Then on to Salzburg where we'll visit the truck fountains, maybe the zoo, and a few of the filming locations from Sound of Music, since those are also big tourist destinations, and then Mozart's birthplace and residence.

Egypt sounds interesting. My daughter has a friend who is from there. I'd love to see the sites, but I have been warned that it's kind of dirty there and that women, especially blonde women, are not particularly safe. And if a woman is unaccompanied, she's considered fair game, so if you go to the bathroom and your husband doesn't walk with you, you are more likely to be harassed. It makes me less than eager to go there, especially with my teenage daughter. Maybe someday I'll have the courage to go.
Sounds like you've had some amazing family vacations already! Bavaria and Austria will be a great, to add as low-key trip this year. The castles you mentioned all sound really fascinating to visit. I'm sure your kids will love exploring the Sound of Music sites in Salzburg as well. That's so cool that you're basically in Germany already too, so it's super convenient.

Egypt does have incredible historical sites, but I can understand the safety concerns, especially with a teenage daughter. Solo female travelers do unfortunately seem to deal with more harassment there according to what I've read too. We should be more vigilant and careful when we visit there, probably we should go there in as a part of guided group, I think it would be more safer for us. Thank you for your heads up! Wishing you an awesome time in Germany/Austria this summer!

wonderandmagic

Original Poster
We're doing a transatlantic cruise later next month. We'll make stops in Portugal, Spain, France and then disembark in England where we will spend 3 nights before flying home. Then we have a conference in Disney World in the fall. In all likelihood, we will spend a few nights at the Jersey shore during the summer.

Next summer, we're returning to Europe to do a river cruise that includes the south of France and the Rhine.
It sounds like you pack a lot of fun vacations into each year. The Jersey shore should be a nice relaxing summer getaway too before the busy fall. Wishing you smooth sailing and magical trips!

wjosephw

I take a look for the Local Guide you mentioned https://gowithguide.com/egypt is this the one you are referring to? Just want to clarify, might consider as getting a local guide as @Songbird76 mentioned it's not that safe, so I think it would be better to get one. Thank you for the recommendations by the way!
Yes, that’s the website. Safety is paramount, so having a guide can provide not only insights but also peace of mind. If you decide to go with Aton, you’ll find his profile by searching for “Aton M.” on the site. Enjoy your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom