News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Slpy3270

I didn't realize Disney Stock was now over $120 - up up up it keeps going!

If you think the rising stock is gonna benefit Iger and his nominees then you need to brace for the possibility that it collapses should Peltz lose because it doesn't explain why ISS is backing Peltz in spite of the rising stock price. And I doubt investors - for better or worse - are going to give a damn about his comments on Black Panther considering Wakanda Forever grossed nowhere near a billion.

They care only about the money, and their investments in Disney from 10 years ago are flat. Are they really gonna want to stick with the status quo for a few more years as linear TV continues to fall and theatrical likely never returns to pre-Covid levels? (Especially if AMC ends up going bankrupt?) I doubt it.

If Iger believes investors are gonna ignore this and the Chapek fiasco and buy into his vision for the company, I wouldn't be surprised if he quits when investors tell him "No. It's not enough."

It's usually doing exceptionally well when the regulars aren't trying to trot it out to prove a point. My favourite recently was somehow trying to prove a 3-4 week 'flat' stock was a cause for alarm.

If Peltz was really just in it for the money (as he says) and not to further an ego or culture war, there would really be no reason to continue at this juncture. He actually acted fairly rationally the first time, this time not so much.

The problem is that investors have been aching for incremental change and for Iger to go for many, many years and that has been Peltz's central argument in this fight. If that WSJ vote leak yesterday is accurate, that might be enough for him to get through the finish line, consequences and risks be damned.

I don't want Peltz and Rasulo to win but people need to be mentally ready in the event that either one of them does.

Investors are giving up on the idea of Disney growing under Iger and may decide a wholesale change of the board and company might be the path forward. We're seeing this happen in all of Hollywood: WBD and Paramount might not make it next year, Fox has already de facto left Hollywood, and don't be surprised if Roberts decides to cut NBCU loose from Comcast to get that stock to $60. Sony will probably say goodbye to movies and TV once all those content buyers disappear.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Why is it going up?
Especially considering Comcast is flat while WBD and Paramount are trading at worse levels than during the strikes, despite Disney being as tethered to linear TV and theatrical as all of them. The idea that Iger is benefitting from the stock price bump doesn't add up.

Disstevefan1

Why is it going up?
PopeIgerStock.jpg

Casper Gutman

If you think the rising stock is gonna benefit Iger and his nominees then you need to brace for the possibility that it collapses should Peltz lose because it doesn't explain why ISS is backing Peltz in spite of the rising stock price. And I doubt investors - for better or worse - are going to give a damn about his comments on Black Panther considering Wakanda Forever grossed nowhere near a billion.

They care only about the money, and their investments in Disnsy from 10 years ago are flat. Are they really gonna want to stick with the status quo for a few more years as linear TV continues to fall and theatrical likely never returns to pre-Covid levels? (Especially if AMC ends up going bankrupt?) I doubt it.

If Iger believes investors are gonna ignore this and the Chapek fiasco and buy into his vision for the company, I wouldn't be surprised if he quits when investors tell him "No. It's not enough."

The problem is that investors have been aching for incremental change and for Iger to go for many, many years and that has been Peltz's central argument in this fight. If that WSJ vote leak yesterday is accurate, that might be enough for him to get through the finish line, consequences and risks be damned.

I don't want Peltz and Rasulo to win but people need to be mentally ready in the event that either one of them does.

Investors are giving up on the idea of Disney growing under Iger and may decide a wholesale change of the board and company might be the path forward. We're seeing this happen in all of Hollywood: WBD and Paramount might not make it next year, Fox has already de facto left Hollywood, and don't be surprised if Roberts decides to cut NBCU loose from Comcast to get that stock to $60. Sony will probably say goodbye to movies and TV once all those content buyers disappear.
Wakanda Forever made $859 million, which is somewhere near a billion.

Putting that aside, I don’t disagree with your assessment of Wall Street greed, faddish thinking, and self-satisfied if baseless certainty of its own cleverness. Because - what IS there vision for the future? I haven’t seen that offered.

It seems to me what we’re seeing is one of the periodic shifts in the entertainment industry that occurs when new media forms are introduced - TV or cable or home video, etc. Unfortunately, this shift coincides with a moment in which Wall Street, spurred in large part by a credulous obsession with the self-mythologizing nonsense of Silicon Valley tech bros, have bought into an ahistorical “industry disruptor,” “everything-must-change” mindset that can’t recognize precedent or incremental change but looks instead for complete, the-past-is-totally-irrelevant revolution.

This mentality is largely responsible for the deeply unwise way the studios’ dove into streaming, but of course there has been no self-reflection by Wall Street. Also prompting no self-reflection, Cinemas have been “dying” for nearly a decade, a decade during which they have survived a once-in-a-century pandemic and the studios abandoning them to release the most desirable content through other outlets. Yet the audience is returning. Intelligent observers might see this as proof of the resilience of cinemas.

What are the alternative futures we’re being offered? Blackwell wants to pivot Disney to being a tech company, a proposal that is beneath parody. Trian just wants to stop all spending and enact an octogenarian’s revenge. Where we actually seem to be headed is towards a system that looks very much like cable - bundled channels with ads - via streaming. Exactly the kind of moderate, incremental change any observer familiar with Hollywood would expect in the face of a new type of media.

Again, I don’t necessarily doubt your assessment of Wall Street. I just ask - what is the vision of the future Iger is supposedly missing?

Slpy3270

I just ask - what is the vision of the future Iger is supposedly missing?
That's the issue. Nobody in Hollywood has an idea on the future - and both time and patience are running out.

Iger's endorsements from Laurene Jobs, JPMorgan Chase, Lucas, Eisner, creatives and employees are backfiring because they're giving investors an image of Iger representing the status quo, and media investors can't tolerate the status quo. Nothing Iger says or does will change that.

That might very well be why Peltz is probably leading - investors are aching for change, any change. No matter how bad it might be in the long run.

JD80

Iger's endorsements from Laurene Jobs, JPMorgan Chase, Lucas, Eisner, creatives and employees are backfiring because they're giving investors an image of Iger representing the status quo, and media investors can't tolerate the status quo. Nothing Iger says or does will change that.

Backfiring? What led you to that conclusion?

Slpy3270

Backfiring? What led you to that conclusion?
That WSJ story showing Peltz possibly leading as of Tuesday, long after he got those endorsements.

Mind you, 22% of investors have already voted, most of them individual and small shareholders, the very people Iger is trying to target. If Peltz is winning most of them (probably thanks to the ISS supporting Peltz) then Iger's strategy isn't working and he needs to come up with a new strategy - right now.

Slpy3270

Several upgrades from analysts. It seems streaming bubbly sentiment is also back on as it has a similar 6 month trend to Netflix. Underlying positive financial metrics in the company are being increasingly realized, but that was mostly in the February bump. I think the market also liked the end of the Florida lawsuits.
Or it could be because they're expecting Peltz and/or Rasulo to win? It doesn't add up when all the other media stocks are in worse levels than during the strikes (Comcast is flat).

I doubt these upgrades will make a difference in the vote, at all.

Casper Gutman

That's the issue. Nobody in Hollywood has an idea on the future - and both time and patience are running out.

That might very well be why Peltz is probably leading - investors are aching for change, any change. No matter how bad it might be in the long run.
OK, so investors are idiots. I don’t really disagree.

The future looks a lot like the past - theatrical releases that serve to promote and legitimize content for ancillary pipelines, a streaming system that looks a lot like cable. The only real question is how many billions are lost and how many storied companies are destroyed before we arrive at this forseeable endpoint.

Casper Gutman

Or it could be because they're expecting Peltz and/or Rasulo to win? It doesn't add up when all the other media stocks are in worse levels than during the strikes (Comcast is flat).

A rebound in faith in streaming wouldn’t do a lot to help Comcast - Peacock is an also-ran. They also don’t have the (largely manufactured) turning-the-corner narrative.

Slpy3270

The future looks a lot like the past - theatrical releases that serve to promote and legitimize content for ancillary pipelines, a streaming system that looks a lot like cable. The only real question is how many billions are lost and how many storied companies are destroyed before we arrive at this forseeable endpoint.
There might not even be a theatrical market anymore if AMC goes belly-up thanks to meme traders.

Slpy3270

A rebound in faith in streaming wouldn’t do a lot to help Comcast - Peacock is an also-ran. They also don’t have the (largely manufactured) turning-the-corner narrative.
Comcast's core business is cable, specifically internet which is still growing healthily. Investors would want nothing more than for Roberts to get rid of NBCU.

BrianLo

Sorry was in process of responding to your post. No, it actually seems to me the market is pricing in their loss. It isn’t reacting to much Peltz news. Everything it is reacting to has been intrinsic Disney messaging from their last quarter - or major stock upgrades based on that intel, with some reaction to the Florida news.

The market does not want Iger to leave, Peltz doesn’t even argue Iger should leave (that seems to be a Perlmutter beef).

What the market wants is assurances that someone stable and ready will come in after Iger. I made a point several days ago that if in 2019 Iger had said his plan was to stay on for another 7 years and he had the stamina to do so, the market would have welcomed that. The only reason there is pressure to have a better succession plan is because Iger will leave at some point and it was sloppy the first time around. What the market wants is guidance and not ‘we are winging it every two years’.

As per how much of the peers are doing, their stocks are mostly terrible because the underlying metrics in their companies are terrible. Comcast isn’t being really valued on streaming because it lost that fight already.

el_super

It is increasingly rare for institutional investors to vote against a company proposed slate.

Even Roy, when he ran SaveDisney and had a LOT of support and media attention, got about 40% of the vote. Peltz has run about half the campaign Roy has. The company is doing a lot better now than it was under Eisner at the time.

Seems very doubtful Peltz will win. It could still happen, sure, but it's a long shot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Feels a lot like, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss", doesn't it? I wonder why...

el_super

Comcast's core business is cable, specifically internet which is still growing healthily. Investors would want nothing more than for Roberts to get rid of NBCU.

Weird. I wonder why people are switching from cable to internet. I wonder what's on the internet worth watching. 🤔🤔🤔

Stripes

That WSJ story showing Peltz possibly leading as of Tuesday, long after he got those endorsements.

Mind you, 22% of investors have already voted, most of them individual and small shareholders, the very people Iger is trying to target. If Peltz is winning most of them (probably thanks to the ISS supporting Peltz) then Iger's strategy isn't working and he needs to come up with a new strategy - right now.
Given that Rasulo apparently hasn’t received much traction, don’t you think it’s a likely possibility that the votes that have been cast thus far are likely from firms whose votes are essentially dictated by ISS’s recommendation? It also doesn’t line up with your thesis that investors are aching for ”change, any change.” If they wanted more change, they would also be voting for Rasulo to give Peltz more power in the boardroom.

I think the stock rise has everything to do with investors and the market having much more confidence that Iger is successfully putting the company on a lucrative trajectory as well as the significant improvements in the company’s earnings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom