Trip Report All Together Now - Completed

IMG_0540.jpeg

Yes, we did!!!!

Despite crowds, cool temperatures and some rain we are still walking around our house saying, “That was a great vacation!”.

Details soon. 😊

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
Day 3 - Friday, January 5, 2024

We started our day around 9am with a delicious breakfast at Trattoria al Forno on the BoardWalk. We ordered:
- Sunrise Breakfast Pizza - me
- Seasonal Pancakes - Chip
- Two Eggs Your Way w/Breakfast Potatoes & Bacon or Sausage - DH & Dale
- and an order of Mickey Waffles for the table because we were at Disney!

DH declined a press pot of coffee so I ordered a yummy cappuccino while he had regular coffee.

IMG_0702.jpeg

I seem to be focused on bread crust this vacation but it is important! I would definitely order the breakfast pizza again.

IMG_0703.jpeg

There were three pancakes each about 1/2 inch thick with the seasonal pancakes.

After breakfast it was time for miniature golf at Fantasia Gardens. It was about a 10 minute walk from the BoardWalk to the Swan Reserve. There was a cross walk which made crossing traffic easy.

IMG_0704.jpeg

We were intrigued by the Fairways Course as we read it is a par 3 and par 5 miniature golf course. We all golf to some degree but none of us golf regularly.

IMG_0709.jpeg

And then the most amazing thing that can happen at DIsney World occurred!!

Shocked Friends GIF

We used our Magical Extras coupons and golf was FREE!!!! My credit card number just held our reservation.

IMG_0866.jpeg

The CM told us that since there were not any events at the ESPN Complex we could use the ESPN coupons for a second round of mini golf anytime during our stay.

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

Swan Reserve in the background. The course was full of angles and slants - you had to be careful walking.

There was a sign about Fantasia and music at each start. The Gardens Course had more of the traditional mini golf challenges.

IMG_0706.jpeg

When we left around 11:45am there were about 30 people waiting. It was a fun activity.

Since it was sunny and the temperature was in the low 70s swimming was up next. Unfortunately DH had trouble w/the room safe so Chip and Dale went to the pool while DH and I waited for the safe to reset. After an hour it still wouldn’t lock and was showing strange messages so DH called the front desk while I went to the pool.

Chip & Dale had explored all parts of the pool and were about to order Breaded Chicken Strips w/French Fries. Since I was on pool time I added a PinoColova. :happy:

While Chip waited for the food at a nearby table, Dale and I went down the water slide. Here is my summary of the pool - the water slide was faster than expected, the lazy river was slower than expected, and the sand pool bottom felt great.

IMG_6079.jpeg

Note we were not alone in the pool….

IMG_6079.jpeg

DH finally arrived. He waited another 30 minutes and then heard Mousekeeping out in the hall. He explained the situation and they contacted the front desk again. The Manager came and still couldn’t reset the safe so they contacted Maintenance. Maintenance came and declared the safe battery had died so they replaced it.

DH mentioned he was trying to meet his family at the pool. The Manager felt bad so they credited our room $50.

DH and I hung out on lounge chairs for a total of 30 minutes before I left to get ready for dinner. He was able to stay w/the kids for another 30 minutes. Someday DH will get his elusive pool time!

sesame street muppets GIF

DH said it was a great day anyway! And it wasn’t over yet! ☺️

Last edited:

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
Some may think our dinner Friday night just a dinner but to me it was an Event! 😁

IMG_0868.jpeg

I found this newsletter in one of my boxes from my parents’ house a few years ago and have no idea how I got it. Note California Grill is referred to as the Top of the World supper club in the article below. The writer also mentions “Dinner and Dancing” - doesn’t that sound fancy??

IMG_0870.jpeg

California Grill is a lot different now but we were all looking forward to our second signature restaurant with rooftop fireworks.

The only dinner reservation available was at 5:30pm. We let the kids have the view of the park but watching the boats at night on Seven Seas Lagoon was really neat too.

IMG_6081.jpeg

The service was wonderful and it was nice to have cloth tablecloths. Two different groups were really dressed up which made it fun and reminded me of the original restaurant theme.

I wasn’t expecting much but the food was delicious! This is what we ordered from the 3 course selection menu:

Appetizers:
- Wagyu Surf & Turf Roll - DH & Me
- Rapini Pizza* - Chip
- Sardinian Pizza - Dale
* Everything was good but the Rapini Pizza, with broccoli rapini??, was the sleeper hit appetizer.

Main Entree:
- Oak-grilled Filet of Beef - Chip, Dale & Me
- Florida Red Snapper - DH

Dessert:
- Peanut & Banana Torte - Chip & Dale
- Valrhona Chocolate Ganache Torte - DH
- White Chocolate Cherry Crème Brulee - Me

IMG_0808.jpeg

The kids figured out if you combined a forkful of Peanut & Banana Torte with the Valrhona Chocolate Ganache Torte you had a decadent Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup! Highly recommended!

IMG_0800.jpeg

Note we were on the dessert course and my drink, a California Grill Sour, is still half full and contains lots of ice. Least favorite drink of the trip. DH did enjoy his Sonoma Maple Bourbon Old Fashioned.

After the meal we thought we had time to shop but people were already lining up for the fireworks on the rooftop. In the picture below the lighted triangles on the left are the bus bays.

IMG_6083.jpeg

IMG_0493.jpeg

Okay, so where were the rappelling harnesses that would keep us hooked to the rooftop?? Notice my curved hand around the railing? ;) The rooftop deck is rectangular and I only made it 3/4 of the way (holding the railing the entire time) for pictures. I then retreated to just outside the restaurant doors where I could dash in at any moment.

My family was loyal and stayed with me and in the breezy, nighttime air we enjoyed Happily Ever After.

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

We even saw Tinkerbell. ☺️

Last edited:

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
To avoid the after fireworks bus crowds at MK we checked out the stores in the Contemporary and the Mary Blair-like gingerbread house.

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

Our quest to return to the Yacht Club was interesting…
  • We tried to board the monorail but the cars were full so about 12 of us had to return to the line and wait for the next monorail.
  • We squeezed in to the next monorail and then waited….. and waited. A message came about a problem they were working on. All the CMs outside were no longer visible.
  • After about 10 minutes the CMs came back and there was another announcement that the monorail was no longer working and more busses were being made available.
  • A flood of people including us went to the entrance to get a Lyft or Uber. Using my new account our Lyft driver accepted the ride but never came. The kids think they may have been picking up cash rides around the Grand Floridian. Eventually Lyft cancelled the ride.
  • Dale used his Uber account to book a ride. My seatbelt was duct taped together. The driver was nice but never signaled and we got beeped at on two separate occasions.
  • PostScript - We never found out what happened to the Monorail and the extent of the problem.

We made it back to our hotel and had a wonderful evening nevertheless!

Disney World Fireworks GIF by Nikki Elledge Brown

Steps - 10,586
Miles - 4.49

Next Up - Here Comes the Sun

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Was there dinner and dancing? Was there a singer? Fancy formal dress? I love early/original Disney World!
There was an “lounge style act.” (Picture a late 70s/early 80s SNL sketch.) Woody doesn’t like to dance so I can’t remember if there was dancing that night. We were with a group from his office (even then he had work conferences in Orlando!) and yes, we were all dressed up.

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
There was an “lounge style act.” (Picture a late 70s/early 80s SNL sketch.) Woody doesn’t like to dance so I can’t remember if there was dancing that night. We were with a group from his office (even then he had work conferences in Orlando!) and yes, we were all dressed up.
Celebrity Masterchef Champagne GIF by MasterChefAU

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
Day 4 - Saturday, January 6, 2024

This was our Redemption Day - it was our last day in the parks and we had two parks to visit! We were well-rested and ready for MK early entry. Only one thing…. Mother Nature had other plans. 😲

It was raining sideways. Friday night Disney adjusted the starting time and reduced the length of the 1/2 Marathon that morning because of the anticipated storm.

Rain Storming GIF by The Weather Channel

The kids crawled back into bed fully dressed and fell asleep. DH and I watched the local news and the rain outside. We continued to eat the remains of our Publix stop which included cheese sticks for breakfast. 🤪 Before 7am I purchased Genie+ and started stacking rides for the afternoon. We missed out on the Tron am VQ; since we were leaving the park after lunch I purchased two ILLs for the kids. I also purchased ILLs for all of us for FOP.

Finally at about 9am the rain started to weaken and we decided to don our ponchos and hit the parks! But first, a poncho photo shoot in the YC lobby.

IMG_6090.jpeg

Two things about the above photo:

1. Turns out DH, an experienced camper, focused on warmth not rain and did not bring any rain gear. To avoid his cotton sweatshirt sleeves turning into sopping arm weights he folded his arms back into his sleeves and walked like a penguin whenever outside. 🤣
2. @Tuvalu - In your trip report you asked if anyone uses the hotel lobby mail boxes. I do! 😄 Disney postcards are hard to find but I have exchanged postcards w/a friend for over 30 years and I also have an elderly aunt who enjoys receiving them. In my hand I am holding the postcards I am about to mail.

A little liquid sunshine below.

IMG_0755.jpeg

Notice DH’s arms 😁

IMG_0712.jpeg

Disney World keeps poncho sales strong!

IMG_3669.jpeg

With many outdoor rides closed we said goodbye to an original.

IMG_0713.jpeg

We then walked over to Hall of Presidents. After that it was the Haunted Mansion.

IMG_0714.jpeg

Chip & Dale left for Tron.

IMG_0958.jpeg

DH and I started to walk over to watch them but took a detour into Monsters Inc.

IMG_0715.jpeg

It was busy on that side of the park. The wait in line was longer than expected and then I forgot about the five minute Monsters Inc. preshow. :hilarious: Not only did we miss our kids on Tron but it appeared we might miss our lunch reservations. We were at the front of the preshow crowd so when the theatre doors opened we regrettably walked straight through the theatre and out w/the previous theatre goers.

As soon as we got outside the sun came out. Almost in unison everyone removed their ponchos. It couldn’t have been choreographed better!

Last edited:

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
DH and I got stopped by a parade while on our way to meet Chip & Dale for our lunch reservations. Disney hadn’t gotten the message that the sun had come out. ;)

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0720.jpeg

Dale suggested the lunch spot which everyone was happy to revisit.

IMG_0721.jpeg

Lunch was delicious as usual. One request from our kids - Bring back the Patriot Punch!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
2. @Tuvalu - In your trip report you asked if anyone uses the hotel lobby mail boxes. I do! 😄 Disney postcards are hard to find but I have exchanged postcards w/a friend for over 30 years and I also have an elderly aunt who enjoys receiving them. In my hand I am holding the postcards I am about to mail.
Postcards are difficult to find at WDW. My last visit was around 5 years ago, and they were MIA in many of the shops. I realize that some guests like the electronic postcards; but I've also found that when friends receive a postcard in their mail, they really enjoy them. If nothing else, at least it's not just bills in their mail! :)

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
Postcards are difficult to find at WDW. My last visit was around 5 years ago, and they were MIA in many of the shops. I realize that some guests like the electronic postcards; but I've also found that when friends receive a postcard in their mail, they really enjoy them. If nothing else, at least it's not just bills in their mail! :)

We also love sending postcards to friends but sadly we couldn’t find any last year at WDW.

Exactly! I bought a postcard pack on our 11/22 trip and brought it back w/me this trip. 🤪 I have to remember to look in the newsstand store at MCO and if we’re ever in a random grocery/drug/convenience store in Orlando.

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
After lunch Liver Lips McGrowl was out to say goodbye for hopefully?? just a little while.

IMG_0722.jpeg

While waiting for our last castle photos for this trip we witnessed a proposal two groups ahead of us! Very sweet!

Season 17 Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

I think Cinderella’s castle brings out the romantic in many of us. This was my first t-shirt purchase from Etsy. I thought the saying was a compliment to DH.

IMG_1551.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

Our last MK picture of the trip.

IMG_0725.jpeg

On to Animal Kingdom!

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
We entered Animal Kingdom shortly after 2pm as it was the last day of 2pm Park Hopping (and the last day of Park Reservations as well).

IMG_1555.jpeg

IMG_0726.jpeg

IMG_1556.jpeg

After entrance photos we started the attractions I had stacked through Genie+. First up was Kilimanjaro Safaris.

IMG_0728.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

The cattle had no interest in us but we had a standoff w/two rhinos. Eventually the rhinos let us go first.

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

From there we took the back path to Pandora and rode Flight of Passage. After that it was Festival of the Lion King. @PineapplePrincess - I teared up too. 🥺

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
After the Lion King we walked over to the other side of the park. Seeing Trilo-Bites the kids decided they each needed a Trilo-Bite Twist while DH and I shared a soda. (I include this to illustrate the appetites of older children. ;)) After that we visited Dinosaur.

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

It had gotten dark out so good thing we had our glow in the dark bracelets (which my family indulges me by wearing and/or carrying)! 😁 We then watched It’s a Bug’s Life. Our park time was winding down and I realized I had done very little shopping on this trip.

GIF by MOODMAN

So Chip & Dale rode Everest while DH and I explored the stores. Sadly nothing caught my eye.

The plan had been to end our time at Animal Kingdom by checking out Pandora at night (new to us). Unfortunately a few family members were cold and wanted to head back. My own words, “Something for next time”, were used to convince me it was time to leave the park.

We bussed back and put on warmer clothes for a late dinner. Now last night dinner has always been a big thing to us and this reservation had been changed countless times. Ultimately Chip and Dale chose a new to us restaurant close to where we were staying - we walked over to Il Mulino inside the Swan for an 8:30pm dinner reservation.

I’m not a designer/decorator so I guess I would describe Il Mulino as industrial, modern chic?? You enter through a rectangular bar area that has many couches and sitting areas. It might be a fun place to stop for a drink w/a few people.

We sat in one of the dining rooms and ordered:
- La Flora Specialty Drink (me)
- Trattoria Salad - Chip
- Insalata Caesar - Dale and DH and I shared a salad at the suggestion of our waiter which came on two separate plates.
- Gnocchi Bolognese (DH and I)
- Spaghetti Carbonara (Chip)
- Rustica Pizza (Dale)
All good except Dale’s pizza crust was a little over done.

We then took a slow walk back to the Yacht Club to savor our last night at Disney.

Steps - 20,275
Miles - 8.59

Next Up - Heading Home and Final Thoughts

Minnie1986

After the Lion King we walked over to the other side of the park. Seeing Trilo-Bites the kids decided they each needed a Trilo-Bite Twist while DH and I shared a soda. (I include this to illustrate the appetites of older children. ;)) After that we visited Dinosaur.

View attachment 773432

View attachment 773433

It had gotten dark out so good thing we had our glow in the dark bracelets (which my family indulges me by wearing and/or carrying)! 😁 We then watched It’s a Bug’s Life. Our park time was winding down and I realized I had done very little shopping on this trip.

GIF by MOODMAN

So Chip & Dale rode Everest while DH and I explored the stores. Sadly nothing caught my eye.

The plan had been to end our time at Animal Kingdom by checking out Pandora at night (new to us). Unfortunately a few family members were cold and wanted to head back. My own words, “Something for next time”, were used to convince me it was time to leave the park.

We bussed back and put on warmer clothes for a late dinner. Now last night dinner has always been a big thing to us and this reservation had been changed countless times. Ultimately Chip and Dale chose a new to us restaurant close to where we were staying - we walked over to Il Mulino inside the Swan for an 8:30pm dinner reservation.

I’m not a designer/decorator so I guess I would describe Il Mulino as industrial, modern chic?? You enter through a rectangular bar area that has many couches and sitting areas. It might be a fun place to stop for a drink w/a few people.

We sat in one of the dining rooms and ordered:
- La Flora Specialty Drink (me)
- Trattoria Salad - Chip
- Insalata Caesar - Dale and DH and I shared a salad at the suggestion of our waiter which came on two separate plates.
- Gnocchi Bolognese (DH and I)
- Spaghetti Carbonara (Chip)
- Rustica Pizza (Dale)
All good except Dale’s pizza crust was a little over done.

We then took a slow walk back to the Yacht Club to savor our last night at Disney.

Steps - 20,275
Miles - 8.59

Next Up - Heading Home and Final Thoughts
Absolutely the Lady Olenna gif!

Tiki Traveler

Original Poster
Wrapping up this trip report means this trip is officially over, sigh. ☹️ Our vacation is already a blur although it was only a few months ago. I’m glad I can refer back to it here.

Departure Day - Sunday, January 7, 2024

Surprisingly our departure went off without a hitch. Our flight was leaving late afternoon and the car service was coming early afternoon. On Friday DH stopped at the front desk and arranged for our room checkout to be extended until noon.

We had mulled over many plans about what to do for the first part of the day but DH and the kids decided simple was best. Prior to the trip I booked breakfasts at Disney Springs and Wilderness Lodge but it wasn’t just my trip it was our trip so we slept in and walked over to Ale & Compass for a late breakfast. We had the breakfast buffet again along with various entrees. We were seated closely to another table who complained to the manager that the crust of the breakfast pizza was hard. (It’s always the bread crust…) The manager apologized, comped the offending breakfast and offered to bring another menu choice.

The kids also reserved the option of swimming before or after breakfast but it was a little cool. Instead after breakfast Chip & Dale went for a walk around Crescent Lake while DH grabbed one last cup of coffee with his souvenir mug and relaxed on our balcony.

And me? I took the photos of the Yacht Club I wanted to take when we arrived. Sadly the Christmas decorations were now gone but still a picturesque resort.

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0745.jpeg

Shortly before noon Bell Services came for our bags and we went down to wait in the lobby. As usual Orlando Chauffeured Services arrived 10 minutes early. Also, as usual we had a pleasant ride to the airport.

We were dropped off at the newish Terminal C at MCO and amazingly it was empty. We had our pick of check-in kiosks and luggage drop off stations. Even regular TSA checkin took only 10 minutes. DH said we should try to fly in and out of only Terminal C from now on. Glad he’s thinking about future trips.;)

As the photos show I still felt a connection to Disney in the new terminal.

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

Our plane, 100% Bluesville, was the same configuration we flew down.

IMG_6095.jpeg

Our flight was wonderfully uneventful and our car wasn’t buried under a mountain of snow at Park and Ride.

Final Thoughts

I’m so grateful we were able to take this trip. Since the spring semester started the four of us reunited for a total of 12 1/2 hours. Moms and dads of littles hug your babies tight! 😘

Regarding Disney, the location of your hotel impacts your vacation more than I imagined. The Yacht Club made it so easy to move around DW. The Extended Evening Hours at MK were a great bonus too. Will we choose (or be able to afford) to stay at a deluxe resort every trip? Doubtful but every hotel has some sort of benefit.

The parks were fun but so overcrowded. Having read other trip reports I knew HS would be especially challenging. I haven’t found a solution on how to cover everything in one day when it’s crazy crowded, especially when rides go down. I think that’s more on Disney than on the customer.

Chip and Dale hadn’t been back to Disney World since 2019 so A LOT had changed. I think they were surprised at the planning involved from start to finish and the additional outlay for rides. They like Disney World but time will tell if they become frequent visitors on their own.

DH and I look forward to another trip especially for either the Festival of the Arts or Flower and Garden but it will probably be a while. Darn you reality and adult responsibilities!

In the meantime please continue documenting YOUR trips so we can enjoy DW from afar. Thank you for reading! Take good care!

Happy Best Friends GIF by Mickey Mouse

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom