Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

It couldn’t have been a prettier day. Bright blue sky and sunshine and not hot! I thoroughly enjoyed my scooter ride from World Celebration to World Showcase and from Mexico to USA.

I parked myself away from traffic but in a place where the fam could see me. They would be coming from the opposite direction.

IMG_2505.jpeg

When S spotted me, she walked over and sat in my lap!

IMG_5095.jpeg

A must for Mom was watching the Voices of Liberty and The American Adventure, hence our meeting here. We were in-between shows and had time for a quick lunch first.

IMG_6632.jpeg

Though we southerners are quite accustomed to BBQ joints, this was a treat for our northern cousins. They were quite pleased with their food.

We would have preferred to mobile order but the pick up time was too far out. So we split up into three parties and went to different registers. It didn’t take long for me to figure out why there weren’t earlier mobile order times - the food prep was moving at a snail’s pace. I was the last one to receive food and when I joined the fam, they were almost finished.

I suspect they’d eaten quickly since the next Voices of Liberty show was imminent. I gave them my blessing to leave. I savored my brisket sandwich and part of a s’mores brownie that Mom had left for me. I was in no hurry to join them though I couldn’t pinpoint why.

IMG_2506.jpeg

I sat here for awhile and texted with both Em and Woody. I missed them!

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
When I entered the rotunda I quickly scanned the benches looking for Mom.

I needn’t have bothered. She was in the same spot on the floor where she has watched every VOL performance for the last 40 years. But I was surprised to see her down in that position at 85!

IMG_2507.jpeg

As I looked at her, memories of my dad seated next to her on that floor washed over me. He loved the Voices of Liberty even more than she. My eyes flooded with tears and I then understood my hesitation to see “the singers” as Dad called them. I was thankful it was the VOL’s last song.

Mom was surprised to see the cast in modern clothing. She was told they are awaiting new colonial attire and currently only wear the period costumes during the holidays. (Mom’s most recent trips were at Thanksgiving.)

IMG_9110.jpeg

We used the escalators to get to the theater and I was chosen to select the row. Close, yet not too close.

IMG_2510.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

Though I’ve seen this show many times over the years, part of Teddy Roosevelt’s dialogue strikes me differently now. Perched atop the cliff overlooking the falls and giant sequoias he states to John Muir, “Of course I know we’re not building for this generation alone….”

I wish today’s disposable, short-sighted generation (looking at you, corporate America!) would take his statement to heart.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

BC texted that he was almost to the park. He wanted to know where to find us and I told him to meet us in front of the pyramid in Mexico.

I walked back to Regal Eagle where I had parked the scooter. The others waited for me.

I rolled up to Mom and asked if she wanted to ride it.

“No.”

I left the setting on 🐢 (the promenade was busy now) and we ventured counter-clockwise towards Mexico, checking out some of the art booths along the way. (Confidential to @pkkurz - it was in this area that I made eye contact with a gentleman on a blue scooter and thought it might be you - since we were at the same level. 😉)

Upon reaching the pyramid, Mom began directing me where to park. It was almost as if she’d had prior experience….

BC was there and the six of us headed inside to search for the missing Caballero.

IMG_2513.jpeg

(@amjt660 will provide the photobomber’s comment.)

lindawdw

It sounds like you got the hang of maneuvering the scooter rather quickly! Glad you decided to just enjoy your meal before heading into see VOL. We really love that show and must do it every trip! I will definitely look forward to seeing them in their new colonial garb whenever that happens as the new outfits just don't have the same appeal! I'm with you on the Teddy R. point! I also miss Mouse Gears and rarely find anything in the new Creations shop that grabs my attention or desire to spend much time in there! So glad your brother joined you later in the day. It really did turn out to be one of the best weather days that week!

Songbird76

When I entered the rotunda I quickly scanned the benches looking for Mom.

I needn’t have bothered. She was in the same spot on the floor where she has watched every VOL performance for the last 40 years. But I was surprised to see her down in that position at 85!

View attachment 772033

As I looked at her, memories of my dad seated next to her on that floor washed over me. He loved the Voices of Liberty even more than she. My eyes flooded with tears and I then understood my hesitation to see “the singers” as Dad called them. I was thankful it was the VOL’s last song.

Mom was surprised to see the cast in modern clothing. She was told they are awaiting new colonial attire and currently only wear the period costumes during the holidays. (Mom’s most recent trips were at Thanksgiving.)

View attachment 772034

We used the escalators to get to the theater and I was chosen to select the row. Close, yet not too close.

View attachment 772067

View attachment 772068

Though I’ve seen this show many times over the years, part of Teddy Roosevelt’s dialogue strikes me differently now. Perched atop the cliff overlooking the falls and giant sequoias he states to John Muir, “Of course I know we’re not building for this generation alone….”

I wish today’s disposable, short-sighted generation (looking at you, corporate America!) would take his statement to heart.
She had the best seat in the house!!! That's where E and I always sit when we watch them. Is that Anastasia in the picture with her? It doesn't look entirely like her, but I can't come up with her name. I know almost all of their names, except the guy in the middle, and the one in the picture with your mom, if it's NOT Anastasia.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
She had the best seat in the house!!! That's where E and I always sit when we watch them. Is that Anastasia in the picture with her? It doesn't look entirely like her, but I can't come up with her name. I know almost all of their names, except the guy in the middle, and the one in the picture with your mom, if it's NOT Anastasia.
Sorry, we don't know her name.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

S had been wanting to ride “the big golf ball” since arrival night.

Her patience finally paid off.

IMG_2528.jpeg

Though I haven’t seen @tonystark around these parts lately, the next two photos are for her.

We’re coming to see you, Boots!

IMG_2530.jpeg

Still rockin’ those yellow tights!

IMG_2531.jpeg

Despite SSE being in rough shape, it still impressed JBS. IMO the first half of the attraction (up to the ascent) is a timeless classic and should remain untouched.

But it desperately needs a better second half.

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg

I mean, look how bored Mom was! 🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
JBS were ready to head back to Boardwalk but Mom pleaded with them to stay for one more attraction.

It may seem like an odd choice but Mom and JB have a history of all things 🐢.

IMG_2538.jpeg

Our timing was perfect as we were the final guests allowed in. We grabbed a bench near the rear of the theater.

IMG_2539.jpeg

It’s hard for me to believe this attraction is almost 20 years old. I remember being blown away by the live interactions between Crush and children in the audience in 2005. Although today’s technology far surpasses what Turtle Talk can do, it’s still a fun - and often funny - short and simple show.

However audience participation is a crucial element in the show and the young humans on the floor were exceptionally shy during this performance.

Crush has a standard repertoire of questions with which to engage the children. One of them being, “What do humans like to eat?”

Dead silence.

That is until JB loudly piped up with, “Turtles!”

Crush was aghast.

IMG_2629.jpeg

“Whoa….who’s the violent dude in the back?!”

<Pause>

Moving on….”

JB’s interaction with Crush did get a laugh from us old humans!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

JBS left us to return to Boardwalk while Mom and BT went to explore Journey of Water. I retrieved the scooter and assisted BC at a GET kiosk. I was able to purchase GotG ILLs for him and BT this morning, but the earliest time I could get was 7:40 pm and BC wanted to see if they could ride earlier than that.

The pleasant GET CM was very understanding but regretfully did not have the ability to change ILL times. He suggested asking at the LL entrance and they might be allowed in early, but not to get their hopes up. The CMs response did not surprise me considering my experience with the VQ last month. Seems you can’t even pay your way in to ride early! :joyfull:

Mom and BT met up with us and she was underwhelmed with Journey of Water. I told her she would probably enjoy it more at night with the lighting effects. She then said she wanted ice cream, specifically soft serve.

Soft serve is not easily obtained in Epcot. Several places that used to offer it no longer do. I opened MDE and searched for ice cream. The location it gave was currently being used as a FARTS food booth.

“There’s the hard ice cream place in France,” I offered. Mom reluctantly agreed to give it a try.

“Would you like to ride the scooter?”

“No.”

In a twist of fate (otherwise known as Disney Magic) we stumbled upon this sign on our way towards France.

IMG_2540.jpeg

Mom and BT quickly got in line!

IMG_2541.jpeg

(That’s how I knew, @BwlrBry212, that your fave nitro dessert from F&W was no longer offered here.)

I was surprised to see Mom return with a float rather than a cone. She said it was the cream soda float, but the strawberry syrup said otherwise.

IMG_2543.jpeg

She was happy with it, which was all that mattered.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

Mom wanted to sit down to enjoy her float.

“Would you like the scooter?” I offered.

“No. I want to find a bench.”

Fortunately we did not have to go far. She found a bench overlooking the lagoon. We discussed the unsightly hardware in the water and I mentioned it looked better than the giant portal and taco barges of Harmonious.

IMG_2544.jpeg

I’m uncertain if the hardware above is a permanent fixture in the lagoon or if it is brought in from backstage on a daily basis, as I’ve read differing reports. Guess I’ll see for myself on my next visit.

We remained in that place for an extraordinarily long time, well after the ice cream treats had been consumed. Mom could not decide on what to do next. She waffled on seeing Soarin’ or Figment. (I was very surprised Figment was not a priority, considering her affection for him.) There was a discussion about dinner. A discussion about meeting my brothers later in Epcot to watch Luminous. She remembered we needed to check in for our flight tomorrow and it was several attempts (the app was glitchy) before confirmation.

I was getting antsy.

“I’m ready to go back,” I announced. “Do you want me to leave the scooter?”

Y'all know the answer to that question.

I enjoyed my ride to Boardwalk at a nice speed between 🐢 and 🐰. I made a quick stop here before going to the room.

1710429847760.jpeg

I parked the scooter and was literally in and out. Climbed aboard, zoomed to the main building, took the two elevators to the club level floor and voilá…..

….Mom and my brothers were about to enter our room!

How Is That Possible Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

So much for the few minutes of alone time I was hoping to have.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I wanted to show your brothers the presents I got.”

“You know I took pictures we can show them….”

“That’s not the same!”

I parked the scooter in the room and left the gift gawkers behind.

It was Happy Hour.

IMG_2547.jpeg

I texted the above to JB. “Wanna join me?”

He and S arrived immediately. We had a little time to ourselves before the fam showed up. :angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom