Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

One of the reasons for booking Narcoossee’s was the possibility of watching MK fireworks from the restaurant. Five years ago on her birthday, Mom had done so from California Grill. It was a special treat she hoped to repeat again.

But after a disappointing dinner no one seemed to want to hang around. To be honest, I’m not sure anyone except me knew how close it was to Happily Ever After showtime. And as much as I love HEA, I didn’t have the mental energy to suggest lingering a few more minutes to watch it. BC had offered to drive us back to Boardwalk and the direct transportation home was very appealing.

Mom, JBS and I popped into the lounge for dessert before retiring. I don’t recall if there were cupcakes, but Mom had something sweet to top off her day.

Neither of us could have fathomed the surprise that was waiting in our room.

IMG_2493.jpeg

“What’s this?!!” Mom exclaimed.

“Why don’t you open it and find out?” I replied. “I know it’s not for me!”

IMG_2496.jpeg

And now @MissingDisney, @lindawdw, @Tony the Tigger, @mpaulam and @93boomer, your patience has paid off….

Time for the gift bag reveal!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

A birthday card from the Fab 6, a Mickey throw, a Minnie mug, a photo scrapbook and 100 year celebration cap! (Retail value of the items was well over $100, as I discovered while shopping the next day.)

The unexpected thoughtfulness made Mom’s evening. She was filled with childlike glee.

“I have to go thank the guy at the desk!” she said, heading for the door.

I explained that it was unlikely that he had arranged the surprise but rather someone else on the concierge staff. She went anyway (and I was right 😉) and shared her appreciation with the on-duty concierge.

A true magical moment that she’ll never forget.

Songbird76

Thursday, con’t

One of the reasons for booking Narcoossee’s was the possibility of watching MK fireworks from the restaurant. Five years ago on her birthday, Mom had done so from California Grill. It was a special treat she hoped to repeat again.

But after a disappointing dinner no one seemed to want to hang around. To be honest, I’m not sure anyone except me knew how close it was to Happily Ever After showtime. And as much as I love HEA, I didn’t have the mental energy to suggest lingering a few more minutes to watch it. BC had offered to drive us back to Boardwalk and the direct transportation home was very appealing.

Mom, JBS and I popped into the lounge for dessert before retiring. I don’t recall if there were cupcakes, but Mom had something sweet to top off her day.

View attachment 771483

View attachment 771485

And now @MissingDisney, @lindawdw, @Tony the Tigger, @mpaulam and @93boomer, your patience has paid off….

View attachment 771484

A birthday card from the Fab 6, a Mickey throw, a Minnie mug, a photo scrapbook and 100 year celebration cap! (Retail value of the items was well over $100, as I discovered while shopping the next day.)

The unexpected thoughtfulness made Mom’s evening. She was filled with childlike glee.

I explained that it was unlikely that he had arranged the surprise but rather someone else on the concierge staff. She went anyway (and I was right 😉) and shared her appreciation with the on-duty concierge.

Awwww.....I love that they did that for her!!! Especially after the less-than-satisfactory birthday meal. I can't believe they brought her a child's plate! Did they think they were being funny?

Tony the Tigger

Thursday, con’t

View attachment 771483

View attachment 771485

View attachment 771484

Love it! 💕💕💕👍🏻 🏰 🎂

93boomer

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

View attachment 771483

View attachment 771485

View attachment 771484

Awwww that was so nice!! I’m so happy your Mom enjoyed it! 😊

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, February 2

I woke early and was fully prepared for the GotG VQ lottery at 7 am.

But this time the odds were not in my favor. (I needed you, Em!)

I did not want to purchase ILLs because Mom and I wouldn’t be riding and JBS hadn’t decided if they would. My brothers absolutely wanted to ride, but since they were offsite an ILL purchase had to wait until 9 am.

Today was going to be different in that we weren’t all touring together. JBS would meet us in the park at noon; BC was aiming for 2 pm. BT would accompany Mom and me, but she was in no rush to get there.

IMG_2498.jpeg

I stepped out for a little balcony time before breakfast but it was chilly so I quickly retreated inside. I went to the lounge to eat and had the Queens Table to myself for a long 30 minutes - I felt guilty occupying the table solo as many guests arrived for breakfast and needed a place to sit.

I was able to relax once the fam showed up.

IMG_2499.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I received a text from BT saying that he’d been dropped off at Boardwalk and was in the lobby. We were just leaving the lounge, so I told him to meet me at the concierge desk. Mom returned to the room.

BT was starving and asked if he could get some food. I kept him company while he ate. We discussed Mom’s continued reluctance to use the scooter. BT was especially perplexed since she had used a scooter all five days of their vacation over Thanksgiving.

“Surely she’ll use it today at Epcot?” he offered. I wasn’t so sure but I had a backup plan.

We met Mom in the room. “I’m not taking the scooter,” she announced. “If I need it, we’ll come back and get it.”

“I have a better idea,” I countered. “I’ll be the designated driver of the scooter. Then we’ll have it with us should you decide you need it.”

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how Tuvalu found herself touring on wheels.

IMG_5089.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not gonna lie.

It was a little intimidating driving - and then parking - the scooter on the boat. The skipper instructed me to enter via the stern and parallel park once inside.

Parallel park?!

nervous charlie sheen GIF

The last time I’d parallel parked was during my driver’s license exam as a senior in high school. I’ve never excelled at backing up and am soooo grateful for today’s back up cameras.

Certainly it must be easier on a scooter than in a car?

Well it took me three tries before I was satisfied that the scooter wouldn’t be a hazard should an immediate evacuation be necessary. I decided to remain on the vehicle rather than transfer to a bench. Two women were facing me and we made small talk. I knew they weren’t judging me despite the fact that I felt like a fraud. (Irrational, I know.)

I was the last one off the boat. I had a wide berth in which to turn so disembarkation was easy peasy.

Mom wanted to see the Beauty and the Beast Singalong in France. BT offered to go with her.

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

(That BatB show was a one-and-done for me!)

I told them I had an errand to run and would meet them afterwards by the America pavilion. We parted ways at the IG.

The World Showcase promenade had very few guests and it didn’t take long for my transformation from timid scooter driver to this —

season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yep, I cranked that setting all the way to 🐰! Tuvalu was Born to be Wild!

I did have to slow down around the walls.

IMG_2502.jpeg

Where was I going, you ask?

As if I wasn’t already Mother of the Year for securing Em all 4 Starbucks Discovery mugs, there was a new limited-time item with which I wanted to surprise her, located at Creations Shop.

IMG_2503.jpeg

What a swell token of Disney’s appreciation for Passholders. A magnet that is only available for a few weeks and only in Epcot. Given only after showing your AP card and photo ID.

I’d gladly trade an “exclusive” magnet for no more park reservations!!!

But since that hasn’t happened, I’ll stick it to the man and get my magnet. Or rather Em’s magnet. Though we are both Passholders - and linked in MDE - I was allowed just one.

IMG_2504.jpeg

I browsed the store while I was there and purchased gifts for Woody and Mom. I really dislike the uninspired layout and silly name “Creations Shop.”

I miss Mouse Gear! :arghh:

IMG_2654.jpeg

Last edited:

pkkurz

It’s a whole different perspective from a scooter. I’m 6’4” and my wife says we communicate so much better now that we are at eye level. 😂
I received a text from BT saying that he’d been dropped off at Boardwalk and was in the lobby. We were just leaving the lounge, so I told him to meet me at the concierge desk. Mom returned to the room.

BT was starving and asked if he could get some food. I kept him company while he ate. We discussed Mom’s continued reluctance to use the scooter. BT was especially perplexed since she had used a scooter all five days of their vacation over Thanksgiving.

“Surely she’ll use it today at Epcot?” he offered. I wasn’t so sure but I had a backup plan.

We met Mom in the room. “I’m not taking the scooter,” she announced. “If I need it, we’ll come back and get it.”

“I have a better idea,” I countered. “I’ll be the designated driver of the scooter. Then we’ll have it with us should you decide you need it.”

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how Tuvalu found herself touring on wheelsit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom