Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

Nappers refreshed, we discussed where to go next.

There was no cutting through the castle hub, as crowds were waiting for the parade. This meant navigating our way from Tomorrowland into Fantasyland.

And adjacent to Fantasyland? My fave.

IMG_2469.jpeg

Standby wait was posted 30 minutes. We waited less than 10, thanks to the parade having started.

Nailed it!
IMG_2479.jpeg

Swing and a miss for BC and Mom….
IMG_2477.jpeg

….and for my attempt to catch my favorite hitchhiking ghost (the Traveler) with me at the end of the ride.
IMG_2474.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We exited Haunted Mansion as salmon - swimming upstream against the exiting parade crowd from Liberty Square. Our timing couldn’t have been worse.

But we needed to get to the attraction that BT and Mom had been looking forward to all day.

IMG_2476.jpeg

It was BT’s favorite as a schoolboy, so the nostalgia is high for both of them. JB is very patriotic being retired military and this was a must for him as well.

It’d probably been a year or so since my last visit and I was due.

We had just missed a show which enabled BC and JB to grab beverages from the snack stand outside. BC finished his before entering the auditorium. S smuggled in JB’s drink so they wouldn’t be expelled from the theater.

It was a bottle of water. :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After the photo shoot we made our way down Main Street heading for the park exit. I remember standing by the popcorn cart near the train station for a bit for someone to buy a beverage, though there may have been popcorn purchased too?

BC had left us to move his car from the MK parking lot to the resort where we’d be dining. The rest of us took the monorail. A WDW vacation never feels complete without a monorail ride!

We disembarked at the Grand Floridian. We spent about a half hour in the lobby. While I really miss the GF orchestra, it was nice to be entertained by the pianist once he arrived.

IMG_2489.jpeg

BC met us in the lobby and we left the main building for Narcoossee’s which is on the water. Each day since my brothers had decided to join Mom’s birthday trip we’d tried to add them to our reservation or make them a reservation for 2, hoping to merge ADRs at check in.

Every attempt resulted in the same result - unavailable.

So it was with trepidation that we approached the greeter at the restaurant. It wouldn’t be the same celebratory dinner without two members of the family!

We explained the situation to the CM who said all six of us could be accommodated (yay) but at two separate tables in proximity (boo). He said there was one open table for six but could not verify if it had been booked for the current time period. We waited outside on the porch while he went inside to check.

Adrienne Banfield-Jones Stress GIF by Red Table Talk

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

The CM returned with the wonderful news that we could have the table for six. It was next to a window and Mom had a lovely view of the castle. Well most of it anyway - the trees have grown so tall over the decades that a full castle view is no longer possible .

IMG_2492.jpeg

We asked our server A (forgot to note his name) to take our picture.

IMG_9098.jpeg

English was not A’s native language and it was somewhat difficult to understand his answers to our menu questions. He was notably frustrated when we repeated things for clarity, though he did smile and nod.

He also was a great escape artist.

We did not order appetizers since the warm, delicious sourdough bread we received upon being seated was filling enough. Perhaps if we had ordered appetizers the pacing of our meal would have been slower. Our entrées arrived only a few minutes after A had left for the kitchen. The food was brought to our table by four runners who had no idea whose plate was whose. (Classy!)

Mom and I had asked to split the surf 'n turf. I wanted the filet and she wanted the lobster tail. At most high end restaurants, a shared entrée would arrive pre-split on two plates. Here, both the lobster and the filet were piled atop the vegetables on the plate placed before me. (In that moment I was very glad not to have inherited my dad's shellfish allergy!)

The runners essentially dropped the plates on the table and left. A was nowhere to be seen. There was no extra plate for which to "divide" the food with Mom.

We sat there stunned.

Meanwhile BC had cut into his "medium" filet and it was moo-ing. Seriously. The top and bottom had been seared and that was it. He ate his lobster tail and veggies as he waited to send back the undercooked steak.

It took us several minutes to flag down a server. Not ours, as A was MIA.

"My mom needs a plate," I said to the server. Mom added, "and some silverware."

What happened next caused us to momentarily forget that we were at a signature dining restaurant and not at 50s Prime Time Café.

"Just use your hands!" the server chuckled at Mom.

Black Woman What GIF by Holly Logan

But it gets better. Immediately after dropping that comment he returned with a plastic child's plate that he placed in front of Mom before walking away. Nice, I silently fumed as I placed the lobster tail and some veggies on the plate for Mom. What a special birthday dinner.

To be fair, BT and JBS were very happy with their meals but did not say much as they did not want to add to the awkwardness. Server A finally arrived to check on us (we desperately needed more water) and refused to take back BC's filet - "I bring you a new one!" He did bring a new one - an entire surf 'n turf plate, which BC ended up boxing to take with him.

After our plates were cleared, A asked, "Do you want the birthday cake?"

He wasn't asking Mom. He was asking us. It took me a moment to realize he was upselling the $39 Mickey dome cake. "No thank you," I quickly responded. He didn't offer to bring Mom any special dessert. ("At least at Prime Time I got a cupcake," Mom said later.)

We won't be back to Narcoossee's any time soon.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

The CM returned with the wonderful news that we could have the table for six. It was next to a window and Mom had a lovely view of the castle. Well most of it anyway - the trees have grown so tall over the decades that a full castle view is no longer possible .

View attachment 770982

View attachment 770981

English was not A’s native language and it was somewhat difficult to understand his answers to our menu questions. He was notably frustrated when we repeated things for clarity, though he did smile and nod.

We did not order appetizers since the warm, delicious sourdough bread we received upon being seated was filling enough. Perhaps if we had ordered appetizers the pacing of our meal would have been slower. Our entrées arrived only a few minutes after A had left for the kitchen. The food was brought to our table by four runners who had no idea whose plate was whose. (Classy!)

Mom and I had asked to split the surf 'n turf. I wanted the filet and she wanted the lobster tail. At most high end restaurants, a shared entrée would arrive pre-split on two plates. Here, both the lobster and the filet were piled atop the vegetables on the plate placed before me. (In that moment I was very glad not to have inherited my dad's shellfish allergy!)

The runners essentially dropped the plates on the table and left. A was nowhere to be seen. There was no extra plate for which to "divide" the food with Mom.

We sat there stunned.

Meanwhile BC had cut into his "medium" filet and it was moo-ing. Seriously. The top and bottom had been seared and that was it. He ate his lobster tail and veggies as he waited to send back the undercooked steak.

What happened next caused us to momentarily forget that we were at a signature dining restaurant and not at 50s Prime Time Café.

But it gets better. Immediately after dropping that comment he returned with a plastic child's plate that he placed in front of Mom before walking away. Nice, I silently fumed as I placed the lobster tail and some veggies on the plate for Mom. What a special birthday dinner.

To be fair, BT and JBS were very happy with their meals but did not say much as they did not want to add to the awkwardness. Server A finally arrived to check on us (we desperately needed more water) and refused to take back BC's filet - "I bring you a new one!" He did bring a new one - an entire surf 'n turf plate, which BC ended up boxing to take with him.

He wasn't asking Mom. He was asking us. It took me a moment to realize he was upselling the $39 Mickey dome cake. "No thank you," I quickly responded. He didn't offer to bring Mom any special dessert. ("At least at Prime Time I got a cupcake," Mom said later.)

At first, I was glad that you all got a nice table for your mom's birthday celebration. But that glee soon turned south, when you gave the details of the service!! :jawdrop: (I wish the dinner experience was better for all, instead of a disappointment.)

93boomer

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

View attachment 770982

View attachment 770981

We sat there stunned.

I am surprised by that whole situation. That is not a fine dining experience.

donaldtoo

Thursday, con’t

View attachment 770982

View attachment 770981

We sat there stunned.

Sounds to me like “A” and crew need to be in the unemployment line.
Although, I really don’t want them on my dime, either.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
At first, I was glad that you all got a nice table for your mom's birthday celebration. But that glee soon turned south, when you gave the details of the service!! :jawdrop: (I wish the dinner experience was better for all, instead of a disappointment.)
things change drama GIF by Famous in Love

I am surprised by that whole situation. That is not a fine dining experience.
Sounds to me like “A” and crew need to be in the unemployment line.
Although, I really don’t want them on my dime, either.
Point Agree GIF by Ford

Now I feel bad for the Shirley comment!!! You may have been better off at separate tables!! I feel so bad for your mom! It was definitely memorable...
Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons
Amazon Studios No Harm No Foul GIF by Amazon Prime Video

dizfan917

We've never had anything but outstanding experiences at Narcoossee's. I'm so sorry to hear this. It and Jiko are our favorite restaurants in the World and we've taken MANY a guest to both with nary a complaint about anything.

Boo for "A" (and frankly the runners as well...). I hope you let someone know about your experience. That is very disappointing and unacceptable. Now I'm nervous about our next visit. :(

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We've never had anything but outstanding experiences at Narcoossee's. I'm so sorry to hear this. It and Jiko are our favorite restaurants in the World and we've taken MANY a guest to both with nary a complaint about anything.

Boo for "A" (and frankly the runners as well...). I hope you let someone know about your experience. That is very disappointing and unacceptable. Now I'm nervous about our next visit. :(
As we were leaving, the greeter who had secured the table for us asked my brother, “How was everything?” BC was honest (in a matter-of-fact way, not grumbling) but refused to speak with a manager (when offered) as he didn’t want to prolong the unfortunate experience.

Sorry for your bad experience. I helped my sister plan a trip for next weekend and I was bummed to get the Floridian Cafe for their trip in lieu of Narcoossees. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

Maybe A thought you would do this?

way satisfying GIF
What a great gif!
We’ve always enjoyed our meals at the Grand Floridian Café.

lindawdw

That whole experience sounded very disappointing especially for such an expensive "high end" restaurant at WDW!
Oh No Do Not Want GIF by CBC
We ate there for the first time ever about two years ago and were so underwhelmed by the service and food that we decided it was the last time that we'd bother eating there! So sorry that your mom's birthday dinner wasn't special. 😥

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom