Does Rivers of America have a strong current?

durangojim

Original Poster
The site that shall not be named posted a story about a guest who fell overboard from a Tom Sawyer Island raft and said he was scared of drowning because the current is 3x stronger than that of Castaway Creek. I’m not disputing what the guest said but the rivers of America look like they don’t even have a current. Does anyone know the actual speed. He also mentioned two guests died at Disneyland in the past due to drowning from the current.

Last edited:

DisneyFanatic12

The site that shall not be named posted a story about a guest who fell overboard from a Tom Sawyer Island raft and said he was scared of drowning because the current is 3x stronger than that of Castaway Creek. I’m disputing what the guest said but the rivers of America look like they don’t even have a current. Does anyone know the actual speed. He also mentioned two guests died at Disneyland in the past due to drowning from the current.
There would certainly be some current, as the steamboat displaces water as it moves around the lagoon. But, think of the Jungle Cruise. The amount of water that those boats displace is proportionately far greater than the Liberty Belle, and yet there is very little current in the Jungle Cruise.

Yes, there would be a current in the river, but the current would be negligible at best. Just look at the debris and leaves in the river, they don’t move. Anyways, long story short, I’m sure there is some, but the current would be negligible, especially compared to wind and other factors.

yensid1967

The River and Jungle Cruise water is tinted dark brown so guests perceive that the water is deep, but actually there is just enough water for the boats to appear to be moving on their own...The Jungle Cruise boats are in a trough with tires gliding them along while their speed is control by the Skippers. The depth in Jungle Cruise is only about 3+ feet! The River is about the same. The Steamboat glides around the river on a RAIL imbedded into the concrete only a few feet below the water level. So in essence, anyone that 'falls' into the waters at JC or RoA can stand up. But both of these attractions are gentle rides and do not produce a wake, therefore the water as a never ending circle would not have any current or nothing a person could not handle!

castlecake2.0

The site that shall not be named posted a story about a guest who fell overboard from a Tom Sawyer Island raft and said he was scared of drowning because the current is 3x stronger than that of Castaway Creek. I’m not disputing what the guest said but the rivers of America look like they don’t even have a current. Does anyone know the actual speed. He also mentioned two guests died at Disneyland in the past due to drowning from the current.
I read that story and have a hard time believing most of what "storm" said.

FettFan

1. RoA has NO current except for the wake of the steamer.

2. The people who drowned in RoA at Disneyland were a pair of brothers who tried to stay on Tom Sawyer Island after park close. One couldn't swim and panicked, the other tried to help, but was pulled under by his brother.

Last edited:

FettFan

The River and Jungle Cruise water is tinted dark brown so guests perceive that the water is deep, but actually there is just enough water for the boats to appear to be moving on their own...

Not quite. Disneyland's RoA is about 7-8 feet deep. Here's the photo of it drained with a construction worker walking it.
It's from Orange County Register, and behind a paywall, but I'm assuming this was taken when RoA was drained to make way for the new railroad bridge as part of the Galaxy's Edge construction.

1708006603805.jpeg

WDW's Rivers of America is only about 3-4' deep.

1708006780291.jpeg

Goofyernmost

At the most, that might describe the water flow in places like Pirates, Small World, Frozen or what used to be Splash Mountain. Those have pumped water that drives the motor-less boats or log, but the rivers have no need for a current. The Jungle cruise have electric driven props, so they don't need water movement. I think the water is circulated by the front and back side of the water at Schweitzer Falls. I'm not sure what is used to move the Stern-wheeler maybe the stern-wheel? And the vehicles that take people to the island are also electric props. Any currents that happen in any other bodies of water there either happens naturally from what ever feeds them or when the pump out the water for maintenance or to fill them back up when they are done.

At any rate, other than Bay Lake, Seven Seas lagoon or the lagoon in Epcot, I pretty sure that none of them are so deep that you can't stand up with your head well above water. That's why they use dye in the water so you can't see the tracks or the bottom.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Not quite. Disneyland's RoA is about 7-8 feet deep. Here's the photo of it drained with a construction worker walking it.
It's from Orange County Register, and behind a paywall, but I'm assuming this was taken when RoA was drained to make way for the new railroad bridge as part of the Galaxy's Edge construction.

View attachment 768534

WDW's Rivers of America is only about 3-4' deep.

View attachment 768537
For the record, I believe the Rivers at both Disneyland and WDW are of comparable depth.

Sans Souci

I think they mean a wake. The watercraft is creating a 'current' in the RoA, it's not like a current in a proper river where it flows downhill to a larger body of water. It is just a circuit, no? I am not certain, but I saw this post and it unlocked memories of physics courses. :hilarious:

Smiley/OCD

FWIW, I’ve been on the Liberty Belle many times along with the raft boats going over to TSI and NEVER saw a “currant”, just the wakes made by the vessel you’re on. As a matter of fact, if you look closely when on the LB in the back of ROA, you will notice leaves and weeds on the shoreline that accumulates because there’s no current to push them along…they’re sitting at the shoreline because the wake pushes them there…

donaldtoo

Do we know how drunk the Guest was at the time…?! 🤔 :D;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom