News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mf1972

Good. It’s over. Hopefully @The Mom can lock this thread and throw away the keys.
IMG_4513.jpeg

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The people acting like Disney can just leave Florida are hilarious. Some of these comments in YouTube for major news breaking this story can provide a good laugh.

No one's even suggested that in quite some time, and even then it was seemingly facetious.

What Disney can do and has done is cut back Florida investment dramatically.

donsullivan

Premium Member
No one's even suggested that in quite some time, and even then it was seemingly facetious.

You hit on a key item here. We should expect this to continue to prevent any new major investment in Florida for some time.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
You hit on a key item here. We should expect this to continue to prevent any new major investment in Florida for some time.
Though a magic combination of these two bullet points:

1- Disney will limit its investment to the bare minimum outlay to keep the parks operational.
2- As per the insider I previously shared screenshots with and others I talk with regularly, CFTOD has been maliciously delaying permits for Disney and causing operational "annoyances" where they can.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Though a magic combination of these two bullet points:

1- Disney will limit its investment to the bare minimum outlay to keep the parks operational.
2- As per the insider I previously shared screenshots with and others I talk with regularly, CFTOD has been maliciously delaying permits for Disney and causing operational "annoyances" where they can.
I’ve heard many of the same reports of ‘obstructionist’ efforts around permits and construction inspections on even the most ordinary of efforts on the property.

Surferboy567

This obviously won’t stand so what’s next? I get they appeal like they have basically said they would in their statement but then what?

When a court case is appealed how long would it take for it to be judged in appeals?

Then comes the matter of the state side cases…

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
What’s next? Anything?

There has to be an appeal I would think.
An appeal would go to the 11th. About 70% of the case law quoted was from the 11th. The fact that it was dismissed before trial and the precedent makes it dead in the water. I see Disney filing a lawsuit coming with a different angle. My best bet would be the representation issue with non elected board members.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I'm chatting with one of my drinking crew, a person is an old friend of mine who is a planner for Disney.

TL;DR: CFTOD is actively delaying permits. They can't even get basic ones like snack stands, much less attractions.

Environmental rules might be Disney's saving grace in this one, in case CFTOD decides to mess with the water table to spite the mouse.

(those who saw the screenshots know what was said specifically)
This makes no sense. There is no such thing as permits for things in the parks that already exist in the wild. The ability to have X number popcorn carts and X number LED spinner thing carts has long ago been established, it does not matter where they put them. They are already zoned by the old RCID for commercial activity. CFTOD has no say what goes on in a day to day thing in each park in a small scale. If they want a new ride, it would probably need some inspection and permitting , but not moving a snack cart.

Vegas Disney Fan

• The 11th circuit has been deciding against DeSantis in a lot of cases recently. Just because it's a majority of Republicans, it doesn't mean they are all for DeSantis' activist tendencies. Just recently, the 11th circuit remanded a case back regarding the DeSantis firing of a state prosecutor for his speech. Judge Kevin Newsom, a Trump appointee, said in his opinion "The First Amendment is an inconvenient thing. It protects expression that some find wrongheaded, or offensive, or even ridiculous.". So party affiliation is not a foregone conclusion.
  • In the Disney case, this particular judge worked for the FL legislature before becoming a judge. There is no way to say if other judges would rule similarly to him.
  • The Supreme Court doesn't vote in a bloc. Just recently The Court ruled 5-4 in the Texas immigration case, with two Republican appointef judges joining with the three Democratic appointed judges. Happens all the time.
  • It takes 4 judges to decide to hear a case. So assuming the Democratic appointed judges agree to hear it, only one more vote is needed to hear the case if it gets that far.
Typically in a state vs business court case the business would want a conservative court because they’d be more favorable to the business, we live in bizarre times though, you never know what you’ll get with the courts anymore.
This is a tough spot for Disney, decreasing investment in FL hurts FL but it also hurts Disney, the timing is especially bad with Epic about to open. Even delaying/cancelling their FL campus will result in long term losses for Disney. The whole RCiD feud still feels like a bad dream.

MagicHappens1971

This is a tough spot for Disney, decreasing investment in FL hurts FL but it also hurts Disney, the timing is especially bad with Epic about to open. Even delaying/cancelling their FL campus will result in long term losses for Disney. The whole RCiD feud still feels like a bad dream.
That whole FL campus was a hot mess express. I think they were going to cancel it anyway and just used this feud as the “official” reason

Vegas Disney Fan

That whole FL campus was a hot mess express. I think they were going to cancel it anyway and just used this feud as the “official” reason
From an employee perspective I agree, from a cost savings perspective it would have made a lot of sense. If they decide to unload it they’ll make money off the land at least.

So you agree that Disney should stop investing in Florida? And you’re okay with the new board making it harder for them to invest and build with the allegations that they are hindering them during the permitting and inspection process?

Got it. Florida doesn’t need Disney to invest anymore, it’ll be fine.
Just a quick question. How does Universal Studios invest and build with apparently no issues in Orlando? Last I checked Universal’s Epic Universe is progressing just fine.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Just a quick question. How does Universal Studios invest and build with apparently no issues in Orlando? Last I checked Universal’s Epic Universe is progressing just fine.
Just because you haven’t heard of issues, doesn’t mean there haven’t been any.

Also, for clarity unlike the original Universal Parks which are under the jurisdiction of the City of Orlando, Epic Universe is under the jurisdiction of Orange County. Trust me- they have had to manage that relationship very, very carefully to allow them to move forward and it has not been without its frustrations

Chip Chipperson

This makes no sense. There is no such thing as permits for things in the parks that already exist in the wild. The ability to have X number popcorn carts and X number LED spinner thing carts has long ago been established, it does not matter where they put them. They are already zoned by the old RCID for commercial activity. CFTOD has no say what goes on in a day to day thing in each park in a small scale. If they want a new ride, it would probably need some inspection and permitting , but not moving a snack cart.

I believe the snack stands in question relate to permanent structures such as the one being built in DHS. Those require permits and inspections that aren't needed for a rolling cart.

donsullivan

Premium Member
If movement of that cart to a new location requires electrical work, expect the need for permits and inspections before that can take place. Any new structure, whether attraction or backstage facility requires multitude of reviews and approvals and countless (unless you work construction you don’t understand how many) permits and inspections throughout the construction process- for even the seemingly simplest of structures

Zaggs

I don’t know all the details, but I think the simple answer would be yes. Not sure they thought that part through.
I do wonder…what would the impact of this be on Disney? How much do they actually gain presently from the arrangement. It’s not as though they can flout laws as they see fit, as some imagine. This seems like a political statement to score votes but not something that would have that much real impact…if it even happens.
You might want to read the audit then because they did flout laws as they see fit. RCID routinely made investments that only benefited disney. For instance those parking garages for Disney spring? Paid for by bonds issues by the district. Those didn't benefit any other tax papers. Now they can't pull crap like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom