News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Good. It’s over. Hopefully @The Mom can lock this thread and throw away the keys.
It is not. There’s still the state lawsuit, which is a contract dispute, and Disney has stated that they will be appealing.

Additionally, this suit could likely be re-filed as a class action suit since the judge only dismissed it due to standing. To give standing, all that is needed as a few more plaintiffs and more actionable damages

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Stripes

Everyone knows this judge is biased and the fact of the matter is that legal precedent could’ve easily been construed to support or reject Disney’s conclusion, even though common sense is clearly in Disney’s favor. With his bias, I’m unsurprised by this ruling. This case was always going to be appealed. And it will likely end up at the Supreme Court eventually.

Why do you think Jonathan Hacker, the chair of O’Melveny’s Supreme Court and Appellate Litigation Practice, has been involved in this case from the very beginning?

Stripes

The CFTOD has released statements:

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District released the following statements in response to the federal court ruling on Disney’s case against the district.

Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Chairman Martin Garcia:

“I’m delighted that this lawsuit, which was nothing more than a distraction, is now behind us. Our board and the district will now continue to make the appropriate changes to operate and function as an independent government agency to promote transparency and accountability while bringing more prosperity to more people in Florida.”

Charles J. Cooper, Chairman of Cooper & Kirk:

“We are pleased that the district court applied clear precedent to reject Disney’s claim that it, rather Florida’s Legislature and her Governor, gets to choose the officials who will serve on its local government body. Disney may own the land in the district, but it does not own the government.”

I’m bewildered by Garcia’s statement.

The case is far from “behind us.” The case is going to be appealed most likely all the way to the Supreme Court.

Surferboy567

Everyone knows this judge is biased and the fact of the matter is that legal precedent could’ve easily been construed to support or reject Disney’s conclusion, even though common sense is clearly in Disney’s favor. With his bias, I’m unsurprised by this ruling. This case was always going to be appealed. And it will likely end up at the Supreme Court eventually.

Why do you think Jonathan Hacker, the chair of O’Melveny’s Supreme Court and Appellate Litigation Practice, has been involved in this case from the very beginning?

Aren’t the Supreme Court extremely particular about which cases they hear and don’t hear? This is obviously a very important case with very tangible consequences.

Would they even hear this case?

Stripes

Aren’t the Supreme Court extremely particular about which cases they hear and don’t hear? This is obviously a very important case with very tangible consequences.

Would they even hear this case?
It’s a very important case with massive consequences for free speech and state power. It’s also a case that is very public. I think the Supreme Court would want to hear the case, but nobody can predict what they will do.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
This isn’t the victory you think it is.

This is like accidentally stepping over the line at a bowling alley, or crossing the line at the dragstrip before the green light. It was a technicality, but one that can be remedied
The decision could have gone either way based on an interpretation of the Hubbard decision, but I'm not seeing any technicality that can be remedied. What technicality are you referring to?

scottieRoss

The decision could have gone either way based on an interpretation of the Hubbard decision, but I'm not seeing any technicality that can be remedied. What technicality are you referring to?
The appeal will be based on misapplying Hubbard. Even the judge pointed out cases that could have been precident but then he just said this is a Free Speech retaliation case, not a free speech or free exercise case so Hubbard rules. If the 11th circuit that just happened to slap down Desantis 2 weeks ago for retaliation against free speech last week takes the same grounds, it will quickly be remanded back to the District Court for proceedings consistent with their ruling.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom