Rumors. Musings. Casual.

pheneix

Original Poster
I’m gonna level with you all. I went out on a bad note. I thought Chapek had his business strategy locked in. Was gonna railroad a lot of divisions and do unpopular stuff.

Turns out Bob Iger outsmarted him on the board and get sacked before the real damage was done.

I can tell you guys that Disney is way worse off than it was when I ducked out and said to hell with the internet @wdwmagic can I swear here? Always a potty mouth.

Occasionally I will be dropping some musings and rumormongering. I pop in, post some stuff, and don’t care about most replies. Take it or leave it when I ramble.

Here’s one thing I want to highlight: Disney is broke guys. They are really having issues keeping funding going just to keep the parks running at any sort of acceptable standard. And we know Disney has several billion in cash! The money can and should be made available. But if they draw down their cash, they close off other options to get their act together. And they need these margins off theme parks. Theme parks have subsided media company screw ups for decades guys. It even happens at Universal!

Be back soon!

pheneix

Original Poster
It’s not like I’m here to get into the “I’m right and you’re wrong nonsense.” I don’t care. And I didn’t read a single thread before posting by the way. I just did it. Kinda interested in poking the bears.

But there’s stuff going on where I can occasionally throw some nuggets that will be worth reading. And they will appear. I offer very little else. Long form posts are a thing of the past.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It’s not like I’m here to get into the “I’m right and you’re wrong nonsense.” I don’t care. And I didn’t read a single thread before posting by the way. I just did it. Kinda interested in poking the bears.

But there’s stuff going on where I can occasionally throw some nuggets that will be worth reading. And they will appear. I offer very little else. Long form posts are a thing of the past.
Oh no, his post was to let us know there was something juicy posted.

Bob's mismanaged things? Say it isn't so... ;)

pheneix

Original Poster
IMG_7433.jpeg

I looked this up after I posted. It’s gonna be about $8 billion when Hulu is done. Hulu is gonna hurt. And the cash left ain’t gonna go far if they keep burning it. And they will. This place is incompetent from top to bottom. Institutional knowledge has fled the company. Even most people who knew how it was run in the 90s have split.

doctornick

The parks have been treated as a cash register for other divisions for years (decades even) so this is not surprising. The purchase of FOX and now Hulu has likely burned through the capital the company had as a cushion. And obviously D+ is still bleeding money (though I do think it is a good long term investment, it's just they needed other divisions to provide the revenue to cover the losses until it became profitable, which hopefully will be soon - supposed to be by late 2024).

The big issue is movies, which were formerly doing well and have tanked. And the issue with the movies is that Disney spends way to much to make them. Much tougher to be profitable for a film that costs $200M+ to make than one that is less than $100M. The company really needs to reel in spending on films to manageable levels, especially as box office just is not what it was compared to pre-pandemic (and IMHO never will get there again, though it may seem that way with inflation over time).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
View attachment 766089

I looked this up after I posted. It’s gonna be about $8 billion when Hulu is done. Hulu is gonna hurt. And the cash left ain’t gonna go far if they keep burning it. And they will. This place is incompetent from top to bottom. Institutional knowledge has fled the company. Even most people who knew how it was run in the 90s have split.

Construction timelines stretched out for years suddenly makes a lot more sense. Spread the cost out, the pain is lessened for any particular quarter/year.

(Waiting for a few posters to breathlessly comment about how Disney is fine, flush with cash, et al.)

pheneix

Original Poster
Oh no, his post was to let us know there was something juicy posted.

Bob's mismanaged things? Say it isn't so... ;)
I know. Well wishes to you btw.

I’m just in that moment where I am just talking to people and engage. Check in on the old site. See what ppl with different views have to say.

Cause I got stuff to do and when I log out I won’t be back until I feel like it. 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You don’t have to convince me…no one does. Because when people post - substantive stuff…not nonsense - the writing speaks to itself as far as credibility known to the older Jedi.

In other words…we always know if someone has a grasp on things…the ones that don’t work magic kingdom stroller rental on the college program. It shows.

pheneix

Original Poster
You don’t have to convince me…no one does. Because when people post - substantive stuff…not nonsense - the writing speaks to itself as far as credibility knows to the older Jedi.

In other words…we always know if someone has a grasp on things…the ones that don’t work magic kingdom stroller rental on the college program. It shows.
I’m glad some things haven’t changed. 😄

pheneix

Original Poster
The parks have been treated as a cash register for other divisions for years (decades even) so this is not surprising. The purchase of FOX and now Hulu has likely burned through the capital the company had as a cushion. And obviously D+ is still bleeding money (though I do think it is a good long term investment, it's just they needed other divisions to provide the revenue to cover the losses until it became profitable, which hopefully will be soon - supposed to be by late 2024).

The big issue is movies, which were formerly doing well and have tanked. And the issue with the movies is that Disney spends way to much to make them. Much tougher to be profitable for a film that costs $200M+ to make than one that is less than $100M. The company really needs to reel in spending on films to manageable levels, especially as box office just is not what it was compared to pre-pandemic (and IMHO never will get there again, though it may seem that way with inflation over time).
That’s really where ppl like Peltz and myself are on outside looking in with amazement. How were things allowed to get this mismanaged? This shouldn’t be possible at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom