Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

jasminethecat

Like others, I think Epic looks great and the hype video was as great (or stupid) as anything Disney has done in the past 2 decades. "The gateway portal is where your dreams will come true, as you walk into a whole new world unlike anything you've ever seen before!" Whatever, it's a shiny new theme park with a landscaping area at the front. Portals into new lands instead of bridges? So Universal is finally trying to neatly organize a park from the get-go, that's great. Hopefully the rides are cool and they work, so Universal can become more than a 2 day distraction while spending a week+ at WDW. People are acting like Universal currently comes close to the immersion and overall number of attractions at WDW, making Epic sound like something disney needs to build just to catch up. I think it's quite the reverse, it's about damn time Universal actually tried to become a destination on its own. If only they didn't start right in the middle of downtown, there is no way to make a "Universal bubble" the way Disney has one IMO.

Critically, Mario world looks like a large play area for kids and i have no excitement for it except that it may keep those kids busy so there are fewer elsewhere. I recognize that parks aren't made just for me, but when my friends (or some universal ads) say "disney is for kids, universal is for adults" it seems like they don't recognize all the minions/mario/dragon stuff that is also child-based IPs. This also seemed like it might finally be the right time for a hogwarts themed hotel to be built, yet they declined to make their "hotel built into the park" take advantage of what should be a no-brainer. Finally, this all looks great, but i hope they don't shut down this park at 6 pm much of the year so people in that fancy hotel just sit there looking at an empty park all evening with nothing to do.

Positively, I would love it if Epic is a great experience and it helps reduce WDW crowds. I would also love it if it inspires WDW to build new lands, a new gate or just use up existing space better. And I would love it if my 6'5" body could fit on every ride Epic is planning. Not getting my hopes up though, especially in Mario Kart land.

TalkingHead

Is the monsters land open-air? Would’ve been nice if they’d built it inside show buildings like Knockturn Alley or Mexico so they could control the atmosphere and bill it “where it’s always midnight, always foggy, monsters always lurk, etc.” That whole area has the biggest range of possible outcomes, could be really good or could really miss the mark.

tomast

Most worried about DHS
DHS still has many great rides. It includes the Tower of Terror (old but a classic), RockNRoller (one of the best thrill rides Disney offered), and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (a new, fun, family-oriented ride with a huge IP). There's also Toy Story Land with Slinky and Toy Story Midway Mania, two family fun rides.

Last but not least, there's Batu (Galaxy's Edge), a Star Wars-themed area. While the land is mid to low, Rise of the Resistance (RoR) stands out as the best Disney ride ever created, despite frequent maintenance issues. Additionally, Millennium Falcon and Star Tours add to the Star Wars experience.

Animal Kingdom only pull is flight of Passage

EPCOT Has more options, with a good start with GoG, FeA, TT and strong second base with Soarin, Ratatouille, Mission Space And all of World Showcase to wander.

UNCgolf

Don't forget about Kiliminjaro Safari; it may be more popular than Flight of Passage. I think @lentesta said the safari is rated by guests as the best attraction at WDW. Expedition Everest is pretty popular too.

For me, DHS probably has the worst attraction lineup of any park (especially if you count the animal trails as attractions at DAK) -- Tower of Terror and Rise are great attractions, MMRR is a good secondary attraction (although worse than what it replaced) and Slinky is fine but not special. Everything else there is easily skippable for me (Slinky is too, actually, but I do enjoy it).

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

A bit of a mixed bag here.

Celestial Park sounds loverhyped. A carousel, a water play area and a coaster. Presumably the first two are for the rest of the family waiting for the coaster fan.

Mario - just doesn’t interest me at all.
Monsters?
HTTYD has potential but they need a mixture of rides for everyone, and they didn’t say much.

And the HP land suggests they realised the prequels couldn’t support a whole land so they added the Ministry of Magic for the HP fans.

It adds a day for me at the most.

celluloid

A bit of a mixed bag here.

Celestial Park sounds loverhyped. A carousel, a water play area and a coaster. Presumably the first two are for the rest of the family waiting for the coaster fan.

Mario - just doesn’t interest me at all.
Monsters?
HTTYD has potential but they need a mixture of rides for everyone, and they didn’t say much.

And the HP land suggests they realised the prequels couldn’t support a whole land so they added the Ministry of Magic for the HP fans.

It adds a day for me at the most.

A few thoughts to echo what you are saying.

Celestial Park maybe overhyped, but how many attractions does an entry exit hub land typically have? Main Street USA, Port of Entry, Hollywood Blvd until you get to the theater etc..

It is the center hub land and has attractions. That alone is an anomaly. It will be a nice supporting attraction set to have roaming entertainment, splash play area, Fountain show and two coasters as they are unique in layout and dueling.

The other lands won't have interest for everyone, but their specific attraction line up specifics are not announced yet.

If it has most people spending another day at Universal Orlando on its own, than it is a win. For many, another day on property means another night on property, a big win for that segment that will make up some of the numbers.

It has been so long since a new theme park opened, I think people are not realizing how many new attractions in number this actually is. for an opening day list. It is a great start compared to Disney's non MK opening attraction line ups and even if not quite, close to IOA's.

nickys

Premium Member
A few thoughts to echo what you are saying.

Celestial Park maybe overhyped, but how many attractions does an entry exit hub land typically have? Main Street USA, Port of Entry, Hollywood Blvd until you get to the theater etc..

It is the center hub land and has attractions. That alone is an anomaly. It will be a nice supporting attraction set to have roaming entertainment, splash play area, Fountain show and two coasters as they are unique in layout and dueling.

The other lands won't have interest for everyone, but their specific attraction line up specifics are not announced yet.

If it has most people spending another day at Universal Orlando on its own, than it is a win. For many, another day on property means another night on property, a big win for that segment that will make up some of the numbers.

It has been so long since a new theme park opened, I think people are not realizing how many new attractions in number this actually is. for an opening day list. It is a great start compared to Disney's non MK opening attraction line ups and even if not quite, close to IOA's.
All good points.

But they seem to be treating Celestial Park as a land of its own.

JIMINYCR

DH and me, too!

We'd been married for almost 10 years before we happened to have a conversation about books we enjoyed as kids. I told him there was this series of black-and-white monster movie books in my elementary school library, that I loved so much, and checked out so many times, that by the time I hit 6th grade, the check-out cards for each of them were filled almost exclusively with my name. He said that was weird, because there was a similar series in his school library that he used to check out and reread repeatedly, as well.

It turned out it was the very same series -- occupying the shelves of 2 elementary schools, 60+ miles away from one another, being obsessively adored by two little nerds who'd meet and fall in love 15 years later. The first time we went into Monsters Cafe at Universal Orlando, we were like kids in a candy store!

As you can imagine, we are irrationally excited for Dark Universe.

View attachment 765917
I grew up watching the classic monster movies on late night TV. We had a station that played both the B sci-fi and horror films, I couldnt get enough. When my parents went out and a babysitter was used , she knew I would mind her only if she allowed me to watch the flicks. If my parents drove in, I had to jump in bed and pretend to be asleep... they never knew. A friend of mine had all the plastic models of the monsters put together and painted displayed in his house.
I now have all the classic monsters figurines in mine.

TalkingHead

Could envision some tourists opting to do the new park alongside a Disney trip. The fact it isn’t contiguous with the current property makes it feel even more like an add-on.

Vegas Disney Fan

DHS still has many great rides. It includes the Tower of Terror (old but a classic), RockNRoller (one of the best thrill rides Disney offered), and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (a new, fun, family-oriented ride with a huge IP). There's also Toy Story Land with Slinky and Toy Story Midway Mania, two family fun rides.

Last but not least, there's Batu (Galaxy's Edge), a Star Wars-themed area. While the land is mid to low, Rise of the Resistance (RoR) stands out as the best Disney ride ever created, despite frequent maintenance issues. Additionally, Millennium Falcon and Star Tours add to the Star Wars experience.

EPCOT Has more options, with a good start with GoG, FeA, TT and strong second base with Soarin, Ratatouille, Mission Space And all of World Showcase to wander.
Our biggest problem with HS is it shares so many rides with other parks. We are DL pass holders so we’ve done Galaxies Edge dozens of times, we’ve done Mickey and Minnie’s dozens of times, we’ve done TSMM dozens of times, etc.

The only major draws for us are Slinky Dog dash and RnRC. We still enjoy HS, it’s just the easiest to skip since we don’t feel like we’re missing out on much we haven’t done dozens of times.

AK and EP both offer a larger variety of unique rides (to use) but even more important is they are so unique on their own I can’t imagine skipping them. There’s nothing else in the world quite like either of them, whereas HS feels very similar to other theme parks with a “studio” theme.

Disstevefan1

The sad thing for Disney is, AT BEST, if WDW is as pro active as it can be, in 2025, WDW would be reacting to EPIC with new construction walls to their existing parks.

At this point In time, I think Disney is OK with taking the L for 2025 and will take the wait and see approach.

IF EPIC can’t take some attendance from WDW, at least it will be less mobbed in the WDW parks in 2025 and beyond.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Celestial Park sounds loverhyped.
😅🤣🤣😂😁😁

It certainly does though based on the Park, lavish garden scenic scenery, adorned romanticized statues, fountains, MI amore <3

I think overall you will find this a relaxing stopping ground center where parents with younger tiny kids can play and wait while the older kids are in one of the Lands... it makes total sense for Nintendo Land and HTTYD may be not pleasant environment atmosphere for the tiny ones idk..

This is a space for groups and families a meeting place wherever there in between before dinner or when it's time to leave or be comfortable than wandering in a land whether they'll find you or not..or you'll find them..

The resort looks elegant for lovers perfect pair with a glass of wine.

nickys

Premium Member
😅🤣🤣😂😁😁

It certainly does though based on the Park, lavish garden scenic scenery, adorned romanticized statues, fountains, MI amore <3

I think overall you will find this a relaxing stopping ground center where parents with younger tiny kids can play and wait while the older kids are in one of the Lands... it makes total sense for Nintendo Land and HTTYD may be not pleasant environment atmosphere for the tiny ones idk..

This is a space for groups and families a meeting place wherever there in between before dinner or when it's time to leave or be comfortable than wandering in a land whether they'll find you or not..or you'll find them..

The resort looks elegant for lovers perfect pair with a glass of wine.
Ha! Well spotted. 😂😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom