Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

cookiee_munster

The Dark Universe land I'm finding the most interesting. It's an area that is based on a pretty loose IP that's not attached to anything really recent/popular. I have no doubts that it'll be popular once opened, but I can't help but feel this will be the first land that will get a major retheme/rebrand, very much like Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure. I hope it doesn't as I'd imagine a lot of Halloween celebrations will take place there.

Tay

If they develop it like Diagon, I actually think both HP and HTTYD will be easier to digest for many than thought. Obviously, I'm only one person - but no one in my friend group are much of the way of Potter fans. The Universal lands are actually what taught me most of the Potter lore I know. And, they are all much more "GP" folks compared to me. I've talked to a number of people who have maybe seen a movie or two but really enjoyed the Potter lands.

Pandora comes to mind as well.

I think it's the ability for the land to stand on its own and tell a compelling, relatable story. That's actually why I think Galaxy's Edge fails. I have seen 1.5 HP films. I (somehow) never saw Avatar prior to visiting Pandora. I've seen every main Star Wars Episode, several more than once. I had very little trouble understanding Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. Pandora didn't make me understand Avatar, but I got the idea of the land. Galaxy's Edge was a huge struggle because I felt like I just didn't get it. It didn't make me want to understand the land. It felt like it was showing something off that I wasn't familiar with.

These lands could certain result in that here. But, I would say Universal's track record for their lands is better than Disney when we are talking about lands that a person who doesn't know the IP can still enjoy.
I became a somewhat fan of Potter after walking into Diagon Alley. I was trying so hard to find it & stumbled crossed it and as soon as I walked into it, my draw dropped. It was so immersive and as someone who didn’t see any films despite the gazillions of commercials, & knew the bare minimum about the franchise, I felt like I was in the movie.

Walking into Galaxy Edge was the complete opposite. I’m not big on SW, either but I like the main iconic characters and knew more about them than HP. This was not how I envisioned a SW land and I’m not even a fan so I know the die hards had to hate it.

Tay

Epic Universe looks like it’ll defintely be epic. I will not step foot in Dark Fantasy land at all lol. I’m a little disappointed because I wanted a land themed to Spielberg’s movies. I didn’t know HTTYD was popular enough for a whole land but these are the same people who just got rid of Fievel so at least it looks cool.

Universal needs to fix the Studios ASAP. What they’ve done to the Studios is awful & seems to have used up all of their creative juice on Epic Universe & HP franchise. Quantity over quality over there. If Pokémon is coming to the Studios, I know it’ll be another great land, that they can’t just slap the IP they owned on motion rides.

Instead of the Forbidden Forest replacing Fear Factor, they should just turn that awful Fast and the Furious ride into it and make it a dark ride they need badly. Then build a proper test track like Fast and the Furious ride somewhere else.

Lirael

As a travel agent that regularly books family trips, I have to say that the evidence points to the opposite; most families that have booked in the last two years always choose a day or two in Universal as a part of their Disney trip.

From my experience, this park will pull people from WDW. Maybe it won’t be the MK guests, but families that have been to HS or DAK or EPCOT before, will opt to sacrifice one of those park days to visit the shiny new toy in Orlando.

I think Disney execs believe that Epic will compliment their offerings in the area, and will (at least in the short term) drive even more people to WDW even if for truncated stays. In the long term, if Uni keeps building with the pace and quality that they have been, WDW could legitimately see a worthy competitor emerge. Disney doesn’t need to do anything immediately, but they need to start acting on that 10 year, multi-billion dollar plan soon.
I think I had this discussion in another thread, but exactly.

Most people aren't so close to Orlando that they can simply get to a park at any moment within a few hours. And most people have limited vacation days. EU might convince some people that didn't want to go to Orlando to go there, and thus also go to wdw while they're at it. But for a lot of people, one more offering means decreasing the time they were already going to spend elsewhere in their limited vacation time, to add in EU. And if EU is smart and sells people on the idea on sticking around for the other parks now that you're there for EU, wdw park days are going to be "sacrificed" to allot more Universal time. People that maybe went twice to each disney park maybe decreasing to 1 day only for each, and people who were already doing that will start not going to their least favorite disney park, especially since there's been little new stuff

Edit: and money, most people also have a limit to how much they can or are willing to spend

Disney getting complacent, thinking EU won't affect them will bite them in the rear in the long run

Last edited:

tomast

I think I had this discussion in another thread, but exactly.

Most people aren't so close to Orlando that they can simply get to a park at any moment within a few hours. And most people have limited vacation days. EU might convince some people that didn't want to go to Orlando to go there, and thus also go to wdw while they're at it. But for a lot of people, one more offering means decreasing the time they were already going to spend elsewhere in their limited vacation time, to add in EU. And if EU is smart and sells people on the idea on sticking around for the other parks now that you're there for EU, wdw park days are going to be "sacrificed" to allot more Universal time. People that maybe went twice to each disney park maybe decreasing to 1 day only for each, and people who were already doing that will start not going to their least favorite disney park, especially since there's been little new stuff

Edit: and money, most people also have a limit to how much they can or are willing to spend

Disney getting complacent, thinking EU won't affect them will bite them in the rear in the long run

I agree epcot and animal kingdom are probably the ones that will be affected.

But don't forget about Universal Studios Orlando, I think that park will suffer the most.
It has no pull only Diagon alley. The only thing that will keep guest going is the Hogwarts Express and the possibility to do both parks in one day. But I don't think many people on a budget or time restrictions would choose Universal Studios as a whole day park.

I see Universal Offerring EPIC Universe ticket expensive but giving the chance to add Universal Studios and IoA ticket/hopper at a really low price, especially if you stay on site.

Earlie the Pearlie

But don't forget about Universal Studios Orlando, I think that park will suffer the most.
It has no pull only Diagon alley. The only thing that will keep guest going is the Hogwarts Express and the possibility to do both parks in one day. But I don't think many people on a budget or time restrictions would choose Universal Studios as a whole day park.
That’s exactly why they’re adding Pokémon. Which is good because IMO Springfield is one of the worst lands in Orlando. A new theme, a new ride, and a new eatery would do it wonders. And add a huge draw

Brer Oswald

I see Universal Offerring EPIC Universe ticket expensive but giving the chance to add Universal Studios and IoA ticket/hopper at a really low price, especially if you stay on site.
The Studio park (USF) definitely needs help, but it’s more or less “saved” by the fact that it’s right next to Islands.

When I took my Disneyland trip last spring, I had an extra day to either do DCA or Universal Hollywood. As badly as I wanted to visit the new Mario land, I chose DCA because it was right next to my hotel and Disneyland park. I think if people end up staying on or around the two “sections” of Universal property in order to be close to Epic, that will likely make the decision between USF and DHS a lot easier for them.

Of course, it will help even more if the Pokémon expansion goes in there by 2030.

Lirael

That’s exactly why they’re adding Pokémon. Which is good because IMO Springfield is one of the worst lands in Orlando. A new theme, a new ride, and a new eatery would do it wonders. And add a huge draw
At least the Simpsons ride is fun. I wish they'd go and change the Fallon ride too. It's certainly not bringing or retaining anyone in the park either

Earlie the Pearlie

I'm sure once Epic Universe is done they will focus on the Studios park. I have more faith in Universal getting things done than Disney at this point
Us: Disney needs to add more capacity to MK, and fix the broken stuff at EPCOT, and add more, period, to AK and DHS.
Disney: welllllll… we miggggghhhhhht…. maybeeeeeeee… ok fine we’ll do it but it’ll take a while…. or several whiles…
Us: Universal needs to add more stuff to US-
Universal: POKEMAN POKEMAN POKEMAN NIGHTTIME SHOW POKEMAN!!!!!

Chef idea Mickey`=

Most worried about DHS

Chef idea Mickey`=

People saying Disney doesn't care rn is funny in the sense it looks to be unless the company is biting their lips and tongue as to why can't they stop Universal and even add SeaWorld from rising new coasters, attractions and lands (park) resorts (SeaWorld has now plans for it's first own resort down the pipe)!

Disney to me always has been reacting to Universal ever since Universal had planned to come to Florida! They been consistent to try outdo Universal but recently with all the announcements (international parks,
Texas, Vegas) and fast changed additions to Universal Studios, possibly IOA next and an entire new park, expanded property, many more hotels.. Disney is losing track and failing with their movie business...

Disney should of stayed Disney from the Get Go and focused growing like Tokyo! I'm not saying Hollywood Studios wasn't worth existing.

Cliff

In the past 5+ years, Disney did their utmost best to give us a walk through water pump attraction and a lovley city park with a really cool Walt statue. It wasnt easy but Disney wrestled, toiled and struggled to give this nice addition to Epcot. They are still fighting to get the last part finnished but I'm 100% confident that Disney can get this project finally closed before the end of this year.

During this same 5+ years....Universal was able to build THIS?? O...M...G! I'm already completely blown away. For the first time ever I'm changing my annual pass over to Universal.

Tianna's employee owned, community organizer, salt mine, spice ingrediant hunt adventure is not enough to get me to go to MK in 2024 - 2029

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

It's so amazing to finally see something in real through images come to reality same as the first concept art because vs Epcot (World Celebration) we were handed many awe exciting looking concept arts from the beginning that yet with all the budget cuts, reconfigurations it leaves me a bit disappointed as you'll always be there saying what if.. in a sense.

Epic Universe looks as it was presented and even better with some of the arch entrances, The Helios even looks better than first concept even though it was a first concept blurred. That's to me how it should be from concept to fruition!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Epic Universe looks like it’ll defintely be epic. I will not step foot in Dark Fantasy land at all lol. I’m a little disappointed because I wanted a land themed to Spielberg’s movies.

What other Spielberg movies would make a good land? They already have Jurassic Park, they can't use Indiana Jones, and they certainly aren't going to do Saving Private Ryan land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom