News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Brian

You hang around too many park people then. The GP come to ride Peter Pan, Dumbo, meet Mickey, the Princesses and see the firework show in front of the castle.
Those are all characters from Disney movies though. Albeit older ones, but still part of the studio's body of work.

I don't mean to nitpick. I only bring it up becuase there are large swaths of the guests who visit in recent years because they like the classics, but couldn't care less about the newer stuff. They want to share with their kids the stuff they came up on. They'll go on Guardians or Ratatouille, but they want to share the classics they enjoyed as kids.

The company's strategy involves that notion, as well as using the parks as an advertising vehicle for the latest and greatest the studio has to offer. For example, slapping Asha from Wish in EPCOT before the movie even came out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You hang around too many park people then. The GP come to ride Peter Pan, Dumbo, meet Mickey, the Princesses and see the firework show in front of the castle.
I think the general public is well versed in 50+ years of hearing how the Disney parks are superior…the aura…whether they’re big of Disney content or not

Iger, Inc are overcharging and running them into the ground

Not smart

Jrb1979

Those are all characters from Disney movies though. Albeit older ones, but still part of the studio's body of work.

I don't mean to nitpick. I only bring it up becuase there are large swaths of the guests who visit in recent years because they like the classics, but couldn't care less about the newer stuff. They want to share with their kids the stuff they came up on. They'll go on Guardians or Ratatouille, but they want to share the classics they enjoyed as kids.

The company's strategy involves that notion, as well as using the parks as an advertising vehicle for the latest and greatest the studio has to offer. For example, slapping Asha from Wish in EPCOT before the movie even came out.
I get that's their strategy. Personally I don't think it's a great one. IMO it's how we end up with so many lackluster attractions lately.

Jrb1979

I think the general public is well versed in 50+ years of hearing how the Disney parks are superior…the aura…whether they’re big of Disney content or not

Iger, Inc are overcharging and running them into the ground

Not smart
I don't blame them. It's hard to make them superior when you don't understand them and think they are for the lowest common denominator

TrainsOfDisney

I’m confused…. What does meeting Mickey have to do with current Disney movies? People left Wish and said “well now we have to go meet Mickey Mouse!”

Touchdown

I’m confused…. What does meeting Mickey have to do with current Disney movies? People left Wish and said “well now we have to go meet Mickey Mouse!”
You’re confused about why the character most associated with the company is on the shortlist to meet? The latest movies are almost never a major fixture in the parks until they become classics. Frozen getting a ride has to be the quickest movie to ride latency in decades.

Disstevefan1

Movies don’t financially support the park however, Movies spiritually support the park by being the primary reason people want to come to the parks. The idea then is that they fall in love with the parks, which elevates the films and makes them loyal to the brand. Then they have kids and introduce them to the films…

Disney Parks would not exist without the Studios and I doubt the Studio would still exist if not for the parks.
Maybe for some but not for me.

And if you think back the infusion of IP into the parks did not happen until relatively recently.

EPCOT was always my favorite park and all the attractions I liked did NOT have a movie associated with them.

In MK, POTC attraction came before the movies. Same for Haunted Mansion. Space mountain, no movie, Thunder Mountain, no movie, Splash mountain, the most loved ride from a BANNED movie, Country Bears came before I think a failed attempt at a movie. OK, there is Peter Pan and the mine train and, Poo, but In my opinion, there is no spiritual support but today YES, Disney is now trying to FORCE a synergy between some movies and the parks.

Disney Hollywood Studios, doesn’t apply here because that park was supposed to be about the movies, and when it opened it was more about movies and movie making than it is now. Today it’s just another theme park with some IP related stuff jammed into it.

RSoxNo1

They technically did that with Tron. That movie bombed and they still built an attraction for it.
I'd argue that TRON makes a better themed area than a movie.

Normally the opposite is true and the IP driven attractions are repurposing one medium of entertainment (movie) for another medium of entertainment (attraction) with mixed success.

JD80

I will say that streaming is probably hurting kids TV a lot though. There was a lot of shows back then that I wouldn't have watched, let alone became a fan of, if it didn't air after the show I was already watching. Kids today don't have that forced onto them, they just get to stay with what they're used to.

From my experience, this isn't true. My kids find all sorts of random shows to watch on D+ and other platforms just from the suggestion line or just looking through the library.

The only thing that isn't the same is kids watching toy commercials and constantly asking for stuff.

Lilofan

They didn't do that. They already built it in Shanghai so they took the "Iger Disney" path and cloned it at MK. 5+ years and already showing it's age and decay on the outside for ride that just opened.
The decay of Tron is excessive dirt on the track system that hasn't been cleaned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom