News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

_caleb

Those long term and systemic decisions should be being made by the person who will lead this company for the next decade. The successor should be on board, now, transitioning into this role. We’re 14+ months into the 24 month plan, and no apparent movement whatsoever on the successor front.
What makes you think the successor is not already being moved into position?

_caleb

Excellent you found a year! Ah yes, 1995, Toy Story, now THAT was a great animated movie made by Pixar, but still great, looking at releases from 1995, boy, other than Toy Story, not much there. Did income from Lion King from 1994 show up on the books in 1995?
Didn’t you say you wanted to “see receipts” for what I was trying to say? Why try to make fun of me?

As it turns out, my claim that “sometimes, the studios carry the parks” was wrong. But as the screenshot shows, there have been times when “filmed entertainment” brought in more than the parks.

And my larger point, which your post here exemplifies, is that incessant negativity is toxic.

Vegas Disney Fan

I have my issues with Iger, a lot of them actually, but NO ONE is walking into a position like that and turning everything around in two years. The extension makes sense. Disney was floundering under Chapek and no, I don't believe for a second Chapek didn't have enough power to do damage. Ripping something down is SO much easier than building it up and Chapek did a great job of that.

I could walk into my business tomorrow, p-off everyone to the point they leave and then need to spend the next five years building it back up to where it was. One day to undo years of work.

Take Imagineering for example, they may not have been Iger's biggest fan but they could work with him. In less than a year under Chapek we saw retirements, petitions for him to be fired, layoffs and the top guys leaving saying "F-it, I'd rather work on airport lounges". Meanwhile, Chapek isn't bothering to replace most of them and when he does it is with people specializing in interior hospital design or whatever it was.

Two years is not long enough to implement changes at a company of this size and see any obvious results. On the studio side, you can barely release a movie in two years in normal times and there is no chance of that with massive strikes. While at the parks, it likely takes longer than two years to even properly plan a new ride/expansion let alone having to staff back up to even start the process.

Bottom line, if he gets another extension and things aren't going much better, I'll help you pack his bags and buy you a beer after.
I can overlook the long term projects like movies, new rides, etc but I can’t overlook that we still have Genie+, ILL, and reservations, that we still don’t have shows in empty theaters, we don’t have parades, we don’t have magical express, etc.

I agree it’s too soon for some of the changes to occur but Igers had more than enough time to make some of the easy changes, and he hasn’t, that leads me to believe he supported them the whole time.

The nickel and diming is my #1 complaint with the company, and that’s continued full steam ahead even after Igers return.

Lilofan

I can overlook the long term projects like movies, new rides, etc but I can’t overlook that we still have Genie+, ILL, and reservations, that we still don’t have shows in empty theaters, we don’t have parades, we don’t have magical express, etc.

I agree it’s too soon for some of the changes to occur but Igers had more than enough time to make some of the easy changes, and he hasn’t, that leads me to believe he supported them the whole time.

The nickel and diming is my #1 complaint with the company, and that’s continued full steam ahead even after Igers return.
I miss the parades but i think that a number of guests, hundreds perhaps thousands would claim their spot prior to parade time. With thousands viewing the parades the parks are not cashing in on their food drink and merchandise spending during that part of the afternoon and or evening.

Disstevefan1

Didn’t you say you wanted to “see receipts” for what I was trying to say? Why try to make fun of me?

As it turns out, my claim that “sometimes, the studios carry the parks” was wrong. But as the screenshot shows, there have been times once when “filmed entertainment” brought in more than the parks.

And my larger point, which your post here exemplifies, is that incessant negativity is toxic.
FIFY 😉

You understand this is all in fun?

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

Understand TWDC does not care about you or me and no matter what is said on these boards, TWDC will do what it will do and we are just bystanders watching the train wreck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just the rumors. Dana Walden being the front runner, and Kevin Mayer being a ready (now) outsider due to his Direct-to-Consumer experience.
That’s stupidity

They need to go outside. Nothing internal works because it’s been 20 years of the same m.o.

It worked for awhile…now it doesn’t. You don’t appoint another on the same rules.

It’s time to sweep the decks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No kidding 2 years is not enough to return $DIS to former glory. Unless you execute a strategic divestment plan created by a third party consulting firm.

So why state 2 years at the beginning with focus #1 of creating a sucession plan?
How is that plan going?
Who is being groomed for the position??
Why was your first success a job extention??

My contention is Bob & the Board have no idea what $DIS is going to look like in 2 more years. Fundamental change will happen so do you hire a short duration "Change Agent" mindset then the longer term "Grower" mindset?

Or you can just stick with Typhiod Bob and see how it goes.
That reminds me of a book I once read:

Lies and the lying liars who tell them

_caleb

FIFY 😉

You understand this is all in fun?

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

Understand TWDC does not care about you or me and no matter what is said on these boards, TWDC will do what it will do and we are just bystanders watching the train wreck.
You didn’t hurt my feelings. I just don’t like fun at other peoples’ expense. It’s ok, we’re good.

I know TWDC doesn’t care about us, and that doesn’t bother me at all. I guess I do care about having good, fun discussion here on WDWMAGIC. It doesn’t always have to be contentious, demeaning, or aggressive, does it?

_caleb

That’s stupidity

They need to go outside. Nothing internal works because it’s been 20 years of the same m.o.

It worked for awhile…now it doesn’t. You don’t appoint another on the same rules.

It’s time to sweep the decks
See, I think it would be foolish to go too far outside for leadership at this point in their pivot to Direct-to-Consumer. They’ve payed SO much for a strong subscriber base—D+ is actually a contender!—it would be a huge loss if they were to lose their nerve now and bring in someone who wanted to take them back to the good old days (which I don’t think are ever coming back).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See, I think it would be foolish to go too far outside for leadership at this point in their pivot to Direct-to-Consumer. They’ve payed SO much for a strong subscriber base—D+ is actually a contender!—it would be a huge loss if they were to lose their nerve now and bring in someone who wanted to take them back to the good old days (which I don’t think are ever coming back).
You’re buying the line that their stream is going to dominate their business

I’m not…neither is Wall Street.’

There is also ways to serve multiple masters without rubber stamping same ole

Jrb1979

I disagree. As someone who really likes Disney for the parks mostly, I want someone from outside that will actually invest in the money maker. Open new attractions at minimum every two years and make it as easy to visit as Universal.

On to D+, I'm very sceptical that streaming will ever be a major success for any company outside of Netflix and Amazon. IMO the series they created when they were licensing Marvel to Netflix were much better than what they have created since.

Touchdown

Movies don’t financially support the park however, Movies spiritually support the park by being the primary reason people want to come to the parks. The idea then is that they fall in love with the parks, which elevates the films and makes them loyal to the brand. Then they have kids and introduce them to the films…

Disney Parks would not exist without the Studios and I doubt the Studio would still exist if not for the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Movies don’t financially support the park however, Movies spiritually support the park by being the primary reason people want to come to the parks. The idea then is that they fall in love with the parks, which elevates the films and makes them loyal to the brand. Then they have kids and introduce them to the films…

Disney Parks would not exist without the Studios and I doubt the Studio would still exist if not for the parks.
Even in that light…at this pace they won’t support the parks…

Because they will NEVER greenlight park projects on movies that bomb…they don’t even do it without a 15 year track record most of the time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom