Reasons my trip didnt feel as magical...

jsand99

Original Poster
Answering a question from @Chi84 that in a locked thread...

Parking fees was said tongue in cheek but that did irk me when it was introduced. No parking fees at resorts was something that set Disney apart from others. Being DVC, I don't have to see it on my bill but it still felt like a greedy move. Getting rid of fastpass and introducing genie+ and LL also seems greedy. Fastpass also set Disney apart. Eliminating magical express is another greedy move. As a shareholder, I understand the need to make money and I want the company to make money. I don't want it to be done by nickel and diming guests or at the expense of guest experience. There are many things that still remain closed. Many cast members seem unhappy. We experienced significantly more ride breakdowns this trip than ever before. We noticed effects and animatronics not working on several rides. Has the padding on the expedition everest always been held on by brown duct tape?

Overall we've had a good trip. The kids had a blast as usual as they are pretty much oblivious to my aforementioned list of gripes. I've always dreaded leaving on our last day but don't feel it as much this time. The kids are sad as we take our last walk around the resort before we leave. I'm sure we'll be back in few months.

Sir_Cliff

More importantly....did the Cast Members call you 'Friend'??
Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office

JIMINYCR

Your anger about added fees have been posted and discussed over and over and over on many previous posts. I agree I'm not a fan of them as well but Dis isnt the only company raising pricing and we have to decide whether we pay or not go. I dont see it as greed but a result in whats gone on to affect the company. Is it necessary? I dont have any say in the way Dis runs and have no affect in what they deem needed to continue operating. Go or not go is the only part where my influence takes place.
You did get enough enjoyment so it was worth it despite the things you were angered about? Seems like it because you are going back.
You cant say CM's were unhappy unless you talk to them and get their opinions on working for Dis. There are many who are satisfied with their roles, enjoy their jobs and others not, for a variety of reasons. Its not unlike all employees with all companies. I engage many CM's in conversation when I'm on my trips and rarely hear dissent. When there is its because of working under a supervisor or manager that makes their role difficult or being restrained from doing their job effectively. You can read posts here and other sites from CM's with opposing feelings for Dis.
Maintenance has been lacking all across property and shows. Its affected many attractions and should be a priority. Patches and temporary repairs hold it together until it can receive the attention it needs. I'd rather that than be taken out for extended time.

No matter how you feel about Dis and the way its operating at this time, venting gets it out but wont change a thing. Its going to be what it will be and your only recourse is to go back with whats in place or hold back your $$ and not return but someone else will take your place and put their $$ on the table to take your spot. Thankfully this site and a few others gives us a place to have discussions and have our feelings heard.

Ayla

Your anger about added fees have been posted and discussed over and over and over on many previous posts. I agree I'm not a fan of them as well but Dis isnt the only company raising pricing and we have to decide whether we pay or not go. I dont see it as greed but a result in whats gone on to affect the company. Is it necessary? I dont have any say in the way Dis runs and have no affect in what they deem needed to continue operating. Go or not go is the only part where my influence takes place.
You did get enough enjoyment so it was worth it despite the things you were angered about? Seems like it because you are going back.
You cant say CM's were unhappy unless you talk to them and get their opinions on working for Dis. There are many who are satisfied with their roles, enjoy their jobs and others not, for a variety of reasons. Its not unlike all employees with all companies. I engage many CM's in conversation when I'm on my trips and rarely hear dissent. When there is its because of working under a supervisor or manager that makes their role difficult or being restrained from doing their job effectively. You can read posts here and other sites from CM's with opposing feelings for Dis.
Maintenance has been lacking all across property and shows. Its affected many attractions and should be a priority. Patches and temporary repairs hold it together until it can receive the attention it needs. I'd rather that than be taken out for extended time.

No matter how you feel about Dis and the way its operating at this time, venting gets it out but wont change a thing. Its going to be what it will be and your only recourse is to go back with whats in place or hold back your $$ and not return but someone else will take your place and put their $$ on the table to take your spot. Thankfully this site and a few others gives us a place to have discussions and have our feelings heard.
You honestly think a CM is going to tell a customer "yeah, man, my job sucks. I hate it here." :rolleyes:

JIMINYCR

You honestly think a CM is going to tell a customer "yeah, man, my job sucks. I hate it here." :rolleyes:
Didn’t say that. I said they have told me that their job is made difficult by their supervisor/ managers. Many CM’s have been brutally honest when engaged in a conversation about how they started at Dis, the positive and negative aspects of working for the mouse and how they see their future roles will be enhanced by staying. Many are willing to tell it how it is and not just lead you on that a CM’s life is all pixie dust. Most I’ve found are positive and not negative about their working at Disney.
The point is that no one can assume CM’s hate their job because they see Dis in a negative light at this time and therefore they must also be unhappy.

JohnD

Answering a question from @Chi84 that in a locked thread...

Parking fees was said tongue in cheek but that did irk me when it was introduced. No parking fees at resorts was something that set Disney apart from others. Being DVC, I don't have to see it on my bill but it still felt like a greedy move. Getting rid of fastpass and introducing genie+ and LL also seems greedy. Fastpass also set Disney apart. Eliminating magical express is another greedy move. As a shareholder, I understand the need to make money and I want the company to make money. I don't want it to be done by nickel and diming guests or at the expense of guest experience. There are many things that still remain closed. Many cast members seem unhappy. We experienced significantly more ride breakdowns this trip than ever before. We noticed effects and animatronics not working on several rides. Has the padding on the expedition everest always been held on by brown duct tape?

Overall we've had a good trip. The kids had a blast as usual as they are pretty much oblivious to my aforementioned list of gripes. I've always dreaded leaving on our last day but don't feel it as much this time. The kids are sad as we take our last walk around the resort before we leave. I'm sure we'll be back in few months.
I'm not understanding how eliminating Magical Express is a "greedy move". Yes, WDW cut costs by eliminating it but they're not making money from the service now. Mears is. If you want to say that WDW eliminating Magical Express and being taken over by Mears is another decision that increases the costs to the guest, I would agree with that. A formerly free service is now fee-based, although collected by a third party and not Disney. It's not something that affects me as I'm a Florida Resident but I get it.

Last edited:

Ayla

I'm not understanding how eliminating Magical Express is a "greedy move". Yes, WDW cut costs by eliminating it but they're not making money from the service now. Mears is. If you want to say that WDW eliminating Magical Express and being taken over by Mears is another decision that increases the costs to the guest, I would agree with that. A formerly free service is now fee-based, although collected by a third party and not Disney. It's not something that affects me as I'm a Florida Resident but I get it.
More people are having to rent cars, so Disney gets more resort parking fees.

Weather_Lady

Disney didn't strictly "make money" by eliminating DME, but it shaved millions off of its own expenses, and shifted those expenses over to its guests, to help its own bottom line. That can still be fairly described as a "greedy move" by guests who were affected by it.

The average party of four will now have to pay $120 or more for comparable transportation to/from their Disney hotel. While that may not sound like a lot in the context of an expensive vacation, it still "feels" chintzy and unfair to have to pay it, when you didn't used to... which is the same reason people are still annoyed by hotel parking fees, Genie+, ILL, etc. Instead of "buy an expensive park ticket, and all this other cool stuff is magically included," now it's, "buy an expensive park ticket, and then buy everything else, too!" ;)

(Apropos of nothing, buying anything from Disney now reminds me of the "Laundry Day" episode of the Aquabats! Super Show! in which a villain disguised as a donut shop cashier informs the dimwitted heroes, "I see you have a coupon. If you purchase 100 donuts, you get 100 more at full price!" and they enthusiastically hand over their credit card.)

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Many are willing to tell it how it is and not just lead you on that a CM’s life is all pixie dust. Most I’ve found are positive and not negative about their working at Disney.
The point is that no one can assume CM’s hate their job because they see Dis in a negative light at this time and therefore they must also be unhappy.
Your logic is all over the place...

You basically tell the guy he can't know that CMs are unhappy...
Then go onto say CMs will tell you the ugly side and the parts that do make it not all pixie dust...
Then go onto to assume the guy thinks CMs are unhappy because he's unhappy.

You literally tell the guy he can't know, then explain how you know, then assume what he knows.

No, that's not how any of this works.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not understanding how eliminating Magical Express is a "greedy move". Yes, WDW cut costs by eliminating it but they're not making money from the service now

Reducing costs -> Increases Margins. Chasing margins through expense cutting to the detriment of the customer (vs just cost efficiencies) means they put their Margin over the customer experience. Hence 'greedy'.

jloucks

Disney didn't strictly "make money" by eliminating DME, but it shaved millions off of its own expenses, and shifted those expenses over to its guests, to help its own bottom line. That can still be fairly described as a "greedy move" by guests who were affected by it.

The average party of four will now have to pay $120 or more for comparable transportation to/from their Disney hotel. While that may not sound like a lot in the context of an expensive vacation, it still "feels" chintzy and unfair to have to pay it, when you didn't used to... which is the same reason people are still annoyed by hotel parking fees, Genie+, ILL, etc. Instead of "buy an expensive park ticket, and all this other cool stuff is included," now it's, "buy an expensive park ticket, and then buy everything else, too!" ;)
Elimination of the DME is one of the more petty and remarkable cost cutting measure they did. It negatively affects so many people and is so high profile that it seems like a bad call.

I would say it is symbolic of the intentional removal of "magic" from the entire experience. They literally killed the Magic Express.

Lilofan

Didn’t say that. I said they have told me that their job is made difficult by their supervisor/ managers. Many CM’s have been brutally honest when engaged in a conversation about how they started at Dis, the positive and negative aspects of working for the mouse and how they see their future roles will be enhanced by staying. Many are willing to tell it how it is and not just lead you on that a CM’s life is all pixie dust. Most I’ve found are positive and not negative about their working at Disney.
Instead of complaining about mgt, aspire to be one and make a difference.

Vegas Disney Fan

I do have to agree with one part of that post….we were there a few weeks back and on our last day, I didn’t have that gnawing emptiness of it being our last day.

I was almost looking forward to getting home. That’s new.

We experienced this a few times this last year, we normally leave for our drive home around 4-5 in the afternoon and we had a couple trips last year where we left at noon, no reason other than getting home earlier sounded more enjoyable than more hours in the crowded parks.

Prior to 2022 that never happened in any of our previous trips.

JIMINYCR

Your logic is all over the place...

You basically tell the guy he can't know that CMs are unhappy...
Then go onto say CMs will tell you the ugly side and the parts that do make it not all pixie dust...
Then go onto to assume the guy thinks CMs are unhappy because he's unhappy.

You literally tell the guy he can't know, then explain how you know, then assume what he knows.

No, that's not how any of this works.
No. Read my post. I said he should talk to CM’s and get their story and not assume they are unhappy. I have personally conversed with many CM’s and by having real info given back to me directly from them I can say those who I’ve talked to are generally taking a positive attitude towards their jobs and time at Disney. And as I said there are those who on sites have said the opposite… not unlike asking any employee from any company and you’d get differing opinions.
My statements come from actual feedback given to me and not feelings and assumptions.

StarWarsGirl

I do have to agree with one part of that post….we were there a few weeks back and on our last day, I didn’t have that gnawing emptiness of it being our last day.

I was almost looking forward to getting home. That’s new.
I wanted to go home so badly on my February trip.

I had COVID and didn't know it, though, so that probably had something to do with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom