Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Incomudro

Not really. I wanted to dislike slinky dog on principal (exposed track coaster with less theming than originally presented in concept art etc.) but I can’t help it. I smile every time I see that dog go by on the track and I thought it was a really fun and enjoyable ride.

I’ll give it a fair chance when the opportunity comes. If anything, I’ll think that the screens will give me hope that guardians can easily be changed to a universe of energy attraction for Epcot’s 50th ;)
The screens would allow it to be adapted to a Wall-e theme.
We can fly along in space as Wall-e propels himself with a fire extinguisher, and Eve rockets about.
And hey, a Wall-e animatronic in the pre-show.

CntrlFlPete

Looking at the comments, I'm getting the idea that not many of you enjoy the ride.

...but I really don't care. Holy crap that was awesome! Really good thrill level, feels like a logical evolution of Space Mountain, and just an all-around super fun ride!

Only criticism I have is probably the one I've seen the most, that being it is pretty hard to tell what's going on in the battle, as the music and overwhelming sense of the experience makes it almost impossible to hear what's being said or tell what the Guardians are doing to stop the Celestial.

Besides that though, amazing experience and immediately one of my new favorite rides at WDW.

(Looking back at the first couple of pages... Geez there really are some people you can never please that'll just ignore all the goods and act like its the worst thing ever made.)

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I am one that mentioned I could see how the ride would be fun (I had motion sickness for 3/4 ths of the ride) and enjoyed by many.

Anyway, you mention seeing and agreeing with the idea that you cannot follow the story once the ride portion starts.

I always thought I was to view Disney and their parks as being wonderful at story telling. They decided to tell a story during a roller coaster and I do not think it works well (from the story telling aspect).

Now if story telling should be near the top of the list for Disney, that causes me to your comments just as negatively towards the ride as anyone else has been?-- yes music is nice to listen to, a roller coaster in the dark if fun --

but what makes it have the 'Disney difference'? Did they really need all the video screens? Do they help tell the story?

I have negative views of the ride itself for a felt the used the same trick through most of the ride (basically to me it was a sideways sitting rollercoaster).

The smoothness, the mechanics, the queue, there is a lot to like, but the story and the ride itself are somewhat lacking to me (but it can still be a fun ride for many).

Incomudro

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I am one that mentioned I could see how the ride would be fun (I had motion sickness for 3/4 ths of the ride) and enjoyed by many.

Anyway, you mention seeing and agreeing with the idea that you cannot follow the story once the ride portion starts.

I always thought I was to view Disney and their parks as being wonderful at story telling. They decided to tell a story during a roller coaster and I do not think it works well (from the story telling aspect).

Now if story telling should be near the top of the list for Disney, that causes me to your comments just as negatively towards the ride as anyone else has been?-- yes music is nice to listen to, a roller coaster in the dark if fun --

but what makes it have the 'Disney difference'? Did they really need all the video screens? Do they help tell the story?

I have negative views of the ride itself for a felt the used the same trick through most of the ride (basically to me it was a sideways sitting rollercoaster).

The smoothness, the mechanics, the queue, there is a lot to like, but the story and the ride itself are somewhat lacking to me (but it can still be a fun ride for many).
I've never really viewed Disney rides as wonderful at story telling.
Sure, some rides are - others aren't or weren't.
I never caught a story with Haunted Mansion, though some insist there is one.
Jungle Cruise doesn't have a story.
Did 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea have a story? Not really.
Yeah, it was based on the movie, but it just showed a couple of scenes from the film.
Some great rides have stories, and it's great when it works - others don't.
Does the Aerosmith coaster really have a story? Does it need to?

lazyboy97o

Yeah, it was based on the movie, but it just showed a couple of scenes from the film.
Story is not just linear narrative.

Casper Gutman

If Guardians didn't want to have a linear narrative, it shouldn't have spent so much time and effort (boringly) trying to establish one.

Disney Maddux

Man, ya'll will do anything to make this ride seem bad.

Nowhere did I say that the story not being 100% clear ruins the ride, far from it. Heck, rewatching videos and now the story is much more clear to me.

And, like others have said, not having a perfect/best story ever ≠ failed ride.

Incomudro

If Guardians didn't want to have a linear narrative, it shouldn't have spent so much time and effort (boringly) trying to establish one.
The effort is likely mostly made in an attempt to appease those who miss that aspect of Epcot the most.
But, almost every more recent ride has some sort of mission implied.

yensidtlaw1969

Man, ya'll will do anything to make this ride seem bad.

Nowhere did I say that the story not being 100% clear ruins the ride, far from it. Heck, rewatching videos and now the story is much more clear to me.

And, like others have said, not having a perfect/best story ever ≠ failed ride.

@Disney Maddux, Kinda seems like you're reading what you want to read.

I don't understand how someone can straight up say "I have some negative opinions, but I can see how it's fun" and have that twisted immediately into "you're trying to make this ride seem bad!" - Seems like their opinion is pretty well balanced, and perhaps even overly gracious considering the ride made them sick and they story didn't work for them.

There's no need to spin it like they're writing hate mail. They offered valid criticism tempered with perspective. Jeeze, how healthy and respectable of them.

mergatroid

There are many rides (especially thrill rides) which aren't based majorly on story lines that seem to be analysed differently to this. If you ask most of those who rode Velocicoaster "what was the story, how did it develop?", they'd shrug and say "It was a coaster, a fun ride" and that would be accepted. The Hulk appears to be a laboratory that has a rollercoaster coming out of it, I've not seen that questioned? Hagrids which I think is great, has Hagrid mumbling as you speed around and never explains why you go backwards when your engine supposedly cuts out? Why on Spiderman are you suddenly given the job of being a reporter, what's all the confused shouting about on Transformers?

There's nothing wrong with people discussing the things they want to analyse about attractions and coming to their own conclusions about them. I do think that some appear to be rather rude towards others with differing opinions at times whilst complaining that they're being 'shut down' repeatedly. I've not responded anywhere as much the last two weeks on this thread because I wondered whether I was the problem causing circular 'arguments', hence making me part of the problem that other posters were complaining about. However with me hardly posting the same points are still being repeated by some adding new criticisms constantly whilst complaining that the 'boosters' (yes, even given us a name) are 'shutting down' their conversations by merely offering a different opinion.

Some will love this ride and some won't. I believe it's been analysed in ways very few other attractions have before. It's a discussion board so that's ok despite being told that we've some how made it 'not permissible' for those who critique this attraction seemingly on a daily basis to continue to do so unhindered? I've even offered an olive branch to somebody on here and basically said let's move on and be friends, only to be told I'm no friend of theirs.

Anyhow I'll post on here when the reviews come out and happily discuss any aspects of this attraction with certain posters. I'll try to refrain from going back and forth with certain posters though as they said they 'don't appreciate it' and that 'I'm playing games' (all because my opinion differs to theirs) and neutrals have said the arguing back and forth is tiresome and I feel I'm guilty of that.

Peace.

Last edited:

david10225

Splash Mountian, I seem to remember going up some stairs albeit in very long increments. in Flight of Passage, Tomorrowland Speedway, the list goes on.
Thank you all for reminding me about the various entry and exit paths across the property. I had forgotten. I can see if we get down to WDW again, we will have to do some careful advance planning.

mergatroid

Thank you all for reminding me about the various entry and exit paths across the property. I had forgotten. I can see if we get down to WDW again, we will have to do some careful advance planning.
We had a wheelchair guest in our group for Splash 2 months ago. We started off in the normal standby queue and once we reached the point in the queue that was near the stairs, we were directed from this to a CM at the exit. From there we were taken through the exit to unload and boarded from the unload side of the dock. If you get there early though before the stand by line has had time to grow, you may be advised to head straight towards the exit. I'd always ask a CM though.

lazyboy97o

There’s really not much need for advance planning. Most queues can now accommodate a mobility device of some sort (wheelchair of ECV) and DAS is also available if those don’t meet your needs. Attraction greeters can also direct you to the proper means of access.

CntrlFlPete

For Aerosmith, you are taking the stretch around LA traffic to make it to the concert.

Space Mountain is a journey through space.

For Cosmic Rewind, folks talked about how the karts/seats would point one towards scenes -- really sounded like a story telling type ride, they had stuff filmed by on screen talent, the placed screens all around the ride -- yes, they let us know before the ride itself that us Epcotians needed to follow this really big dude to save time itself or something along those lines.

They are moments on the ride where I felt like card board cuttouts (like RnR would be better than the screens they used) -- anyway, I really thought Disney was going to try and tell a story on a roller coaster more so than an old school 'sub ride' that is about taken a ride on a submarine or a ride through 'space' via SM, but CR seemed it was to be a modern day ride vehicle to aide in story telling.

Casper Gutman

The effort is likely mostly made in an attempt to appease those who miss that aspect of Epcot the most.
But, almost every more recent ride has some sort of mission implied.
This is so utterly absurd. So its not the DESIGNERS fault that the story for the ride is contradictory, unclear, uninteresting, and largely extraneous - the real fault lies with those ungrateful guests who think it worthy of note that Disney destroyed the unifying theme of EPCOT along with many great attractions.

Again, a theme park ride sets out the degree to which it is story-dependent. The Incredible Hulk coaster doesn't emphasize its story at all, so any criticism of the story is a minor element of evaluating the ride itself. In contrast, GotG absolutely emphasizes its story, with several long screen-based pre-shows laying it out at considerable length. The fact that that story isn't very good is very relevant. The story looms even larger because, in the case of GotG, Vekoma provided the coaster and various 70s and 80s artists provided the soundtrack. What Disney provided was the story and the method in which it is told.

By the way, Spider-Man has a near perfectly executed theme park comic ride storyline, no matter what contortion Disney boosters might make to try and paint it as being as ill-conceived as CR. In fact, the story in GotG M:B is also very, very well done.

If boosters don't want to be accused of shutting down conversations, they should probably stop saying things like "I'm so tired of criticism," or "why can't you just enjoy it," or "if you criticize any aspect of Disney you hate fun," or "those critics won't shut up." Another cute tactic is suggesting any criticism emanates from a few posters whose opinions should be dismissed. Maybe I've missed it - where are comments from grumps saying "all the positive comments come from a few biased idiots," or "I am so tired of people complimenting Disney?"

I use the terms "boosters" and "grumps" in an attempt to be even-handed. I picked a loaded, negative term for the group of which I am a part and a more neutral term for the posters I often disagree with. If that's unacceptable, however, I can pick other words.

Casper Gutman

While you have provided a first-hand account of the ride, it is not overwhelmingly positive. Therefore, like other critical first-hand accounts in this thread, it cannot be considered a REAL first-hand account, and will be dismissed and/or ignored. Sorry.

Disney Maddux

@Disney Maddux, Kinda seems like you're reading what you want to read.

I don't understand how someone can straight up say "I have some negative opinions, but I can see how it's fun" and have that twisted immediately into "you're trying to make this ride seem bad!" - Seems like their opinion is pretty well balanced, and perhaps even overly gracious considering the ride made them sick and they story didn't work for them.

There's no need to spin it like they're writing hate mail. They offered valid criticism tempered with perspective. Jeeze, how healthy and respectable of them.
Okay, yeah, looking back at the comment I see its main point now. That's my bad.

Sorry, was just fresh off reading all the much more negative comments before seeing that.

lewisc

A lot of posters have an issue with the cost. We have no idea what accounting "techniques" are being used. How much is being charged by a Disney construction division against the budget. In other words is Disney able to artificially increase reported costs to increase reported revenue to other departments.

An average fan sees a high cost number and thinks that must mean its a great ride. Disney fans think Disney could have spent the $$ better. Even if the reported money was inflated by internal accounting.

Nothing to do with construction costs...I wonder how much the theme park division is "charged" by Marvel Studio for use of IP. A way to transfer profit from theme park to studio.

lazyboy97o

A lot of posters have an issue with the cost. We have no idea what accounting "techniques" are being used. How much is being charged by a Disney construction division against the budget. In other words is Disney able to artificially increase reported costs to increase reported revenue to other departments.

An average fan sees a high cost number and thinks that must mean its a great ride. Disney fans think Disney could have spent the $$ better. Even if the reported money was inflated by internal accounting.

Nothing to do with construction costs...I wonder how much the theme park division is "charged" by Marvel Studio for use of IP. A way to transfer profit from theme park to studio.
What is this mystery Disney construction division? We know who does the construction, there name is on the permits. Nor is this because of licensing deals. The extreme cost increases have occurred across the board for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom