News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Think the obvious thing for Disney to react is to cancel their planned East Coast HQ in Orlando. Think of it as a sunk cost. Politics is a rough game and both Disney and DeSantis clearly aren’t going anyway anytime soon. Pretty sure DeSantis was all up in front of that as a big development win when that was announced.
Undoubtedly.

I also expect Disney to "jurisdiction-shop" to see who wants their east coast HQ, and beyond that, possibly shifting development budgets to open parks elsewhere.

ctrlaltdel

A $2200 tax hike for every Orange and Osceola county family - yikes!

So much for fiscal conservatism.

While I don’t think it will matter much for the election (since the national environment is gonna be very bad for the Dems and very good for the GOP), this does have the potential to be a real unforced error that es off suburban swing voters in the Orlando area. This makes it a real pocketbook issue.

Epcotfan21

Undoubtedly.

I also expect Disney to "jurisdiction-shop" to see who wants their east coast HQ, and beyond that, possibly shifting development budgets to open parks elsewhere.
You think Disney would want to willingly set up shop in another east coast state just to spit in Ron's face?

I certainly could see them cancelling the project and remaining to stay in CA. But moving the new HQ anywhere out of CA or FL makes zero sense.

Chip Chipperson

Copyright is a federal issue, not a state issue.

Also, Congress has no say in individual copyrights. They just write the laws that govern them and can't just say, "This law no longer applies to Disney's IP." There's a federal agency that handles individual copyright claims- and singling out 1 specific copyright for revocation with no regard for the federal copyright laws would be a slam dunk win in court for Disney.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yes, that's the case.... The record number of people and businesses who are flocking to Florida and other southern states to escape the malaise and filth in their home states are sending a message all right...

Ehh.. people, yes. Businesses, not any of major importance.

Florida's barely in the top-20 states for doing business, with Virginia and North Carolina right at #1 and 2. Even Massachusetts - TAXACHUSSETTS! - is ranked higher than Florida.

lordsigma

I think the phrase is 'you reap what you sow', this is at the end of the day Disney's fault.
I could agree if you're referring to public criticism and backlash in certain media and even public callouts by DeSantis, along with people boycotting Disney, not going to the parks, canceling Disney+, etc. Obviously when you make a stand on a hot topic you're inviting the possibility of bringing that on. But I don't think DeSantis's move regarding RCID is really defensible.

Disstevefan1

Obviously independent people have the right to criticize Disney all day long for making a public statement on a controversial issue as well as punish them with their wallets - but this kind of punitive action by government seems wrong. Chances are this will pass and the state house will claim its victory. But then they'll quietly defang the proposal and keep most of the critical pieces of the district in place before the June of next year deadline.
I hope you are right. I can't think of one good thing that would come from the removal of RCID for Disney, their guests, the state or the taxpayer..

ctrlaltdel

You think Disney would want to willingly set up shop in another east coast state just to spit in Ron's face?

I certainly could see them cancelling the project and remaining to stay in CA. But moving the new HQ anywhere out of CA or FL makes zero sense.
Yeah, I would guess those folks would remain in CA. The reasons for building a new East Coast HQ in the Orlando area are rather obvious. Doesn’t really make much sense elsewhere.

I don’t think this will end up affecting Disney’s future decisions about investment too much, but I think you have to send a message to the Gov and the legislature that their actions also have consequences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom