Did Disney push too far this time?

SpoiledBlueMilk

Original Poster
I'm not a doom and gloom person. Change happens and honestly, Disney needs to figure out new revenue streams to recoup its COVID losses. I also believe Disney fans will scream at even the slightest of changes, but will grudgingly accept it over time and hand over their credit cards anyway. With that all being said, I can't get past the feeling that Disney might have pushed things a bit too far this time with the Genie+ and Annual Pass announcements. I've been watching the reactions from the big YouTubers - the DIS and their competitors and their messages all seem to be the same - it's just too much.

I'm getting the feeling that these two recent announcements could be what brings Disney to the tipping point of fan dissatisfaction. First, they cancel Magical Express. Then they limit the benefits of staying on property. Price increases for parties are higher than ever with less of a return on money spent. Now, Disney is targeting APs, DVC members, and non-Florida residents with a pass that doesn't even include Photo Pass? Add onto that the whole mess about Genie+ and the confusion over what rides will or won't be included and you have people starting to object.

Disney always nickel and dimed their guests. We came to expect it, but at least they had the class to hide it under the pretense of a magical experience. That's not the case anymore - they're just shaking guests down.

Did the Bobs not read the room? COVID hit their bottom line, yes, but it also hit the bottom lines of families across the country that might just say screw it, we're going to Universal - especially with their new gate under construction? Do they not see the economic realignment that's going to take place in the near future?

I'm not putting a value judgment on this either. I'm one of those "dual income no kids" families that can afford the upcharge, but even I'm starting to question what I'm getting for the increased price. Long story short. Is Disney making a short-term decision that will cost them long-term losses? Are they alienating guests and giving Universal an opening they really didn't need to give?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't have much knowledge when it comes to AP's so I'm not commenting on that part.

As for Genie+/Lightning Lane I feel as though Disney is finally just catching up with the rest of the industry.
They could have monetized Fastpass at WDW a long time ago and then maybe they wouldn't have nickel and dimed the heck out of every other aspect.

I definitely saw a very sharp decline in attendance while there last week that I think was a combination of factors but I am starting to think its going to last a while and while that's not great for their bottom line it is for fan's wallets as I foresee discounts coming if the attendance does not spike.

Disstevefan1

I'm not a doom and gloom person. Change happens and honestly, Disney needs to figure out new revenue streams to recoup its COVID losses. I also believe Disney fans will scream at even the slightest of changes, but will grudgingly accept it over time and hand over their credit cards anyway. With that all being said, I can't get past the feeling that Disney might have pushed things a bit too far this time with the Genie+ and Annual Pass announcements. I've been watching the reactions from the big YouTubers - the DIS and their competitors and their messages all seem to be the same - it's just too much.

I'm getting the feeling that these two recent announcements could be what brings Disney to the tipping point of fan dissatisfaction. First, they cancel Magical Express. Then they limit the benefits of staying on property. Price increases for parties are higher than ever with less of a return on money spent. Now, Disney is targeting APs, DVC members, and non-Florida residents with a pass that doesn't even include Photo Pass? Add onto that the whole mess about Genie+ and the confusion over what rides will or won't be included and you have people starting to object.

Disney always nickel and dimed their guests. We came to expect it, but at least they had the class to hide it under the pretense of a magical experience. That's not the case anymore - they're just shaking guests down.

Did the Bobs not read the room? COVID hit their bottom line, yes, but it also hit the bottom lines of families across the country that might just say screw it, we're going to Universal - especially with their new gate under construction? Do they not see the economic realignment that's going to take place in the near future?

I'm not putting a value judgment on this either. I'm one of those "dual income no kids" families that can afford the upcharge, but even I'm starting to question what I'm getting for the increased price. Long story short. Is Disney making a short-term decision that will cost them long-term losses? Are they alienating guests and giving Universal an opening they really didn't need to give?
I hear you and am with you, but you can copy and paste much of your comments for EVERY TIME Disney does something like this to their customers.

And as you say fans will accept over time.

TWDC will use the COVID card for years to come to make cutbacks THEY ALWAYS WANTED TO DO, in the name of COVID.

If needed TWDC will tweak things as needed at will for their benefit, the changes may even seem good for the customer too. I assure you, it’s purely a coincidence.

There will be NO “to far” or NO “a tipping point” for TWDC. TWDC is invincible.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to AP's so I'm not commenting on that part.

As for Genie+/Lightning Lane I feel as though Disney is finally just catching up with the rest of the industry.
They could have monetized Fastpass at WDW a long time ago and then maybe they wouldn't have nickel and dimed the heck out of every other aspect.

I definitely saw a very sharp decline in attendance while there last week that I think was a combination of factors but I am starting to think its going to last a while and while that's not great for their bottom line it is for fan's wallets as I foresee discounts coming if the attendance does not spike.
TWDC cares nothing about people or attendance. They care about $$$$$$$

If they can take more money from less people they win again, as they require less staff to serve less people.

And those guests paying the big $$$$ to go to the parks will be less crowded and feel good about themselves to be among the special folks who have the disposable income to hand to the mouse.

Disstevefan1

Disney had to close all of their parks for months because of the virus. You don't MAKE money with empty theme parks.
Initially one would think the closure was going to hurt TWDC, but It seems like the closures helped TWDC as it allowed them to make the cuts in everything they always wanted to make, it surely helped their streaming business, the closures caused the pent up demand for a Disney vacation, more demand allowed Disney to raise the prices on everything.

TWDC ❤️ COVID
TWDC ❤️ 💰

CaptainAmerica

Initially one would think the closure was going to hurt TWDC, but It seems like the closures helped TWDC as it allowed them to make the cuts in everything they always wanted to make, it surely helped their streaming business, the closures caused the pent up demand for a Disney vacation, more demand allowed Disney to raise the prices on everything.

TWDC ❤️ COVID
TWDC ❤️ 💰
:rolleyes:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
TWDC cares nothing about people or attendance. They care about $$$$$$$

If they can take more money from less people they win again, as they require less staff to serve less people.

And those guests paying the big $$$$ to go to the parks will be less crowded and feel good about themselves to be among the special folks who have the disposable income to hand to the mouse.

Its not always about how much money you have but rather how you choose to spend it.
I think they'd rather have more money AND more people going. They will need to offer discounts if they do not obtain the profit due to lack of visitors. If there's not enough visitors not many will see the need to purchase things like Genie+ and Lightning Lane. So in the end they wouldn't make as much of a profit as they hoped for.

Disstevefan1

Its not always about how much money you have but rather how you choose to spend it.
I think they'd rather have more money AND more people going. They will need to offer discounts if they do not obtain the profit due to lack of visitors. If there's not enough visitors not many will see the need to purchase things like Genie+ and Lightning Lane. So in the end they wouldn't make as much of a profit as they hoped for.
They don’t care who or how many folks show up if they are making MORE MONEY. How much MONEY they are making will dictate what they do going forward. I personally do not see discounts coming. I hope I am wrong.

Disstevefan1

Pay for admission in advance.
Pay to reserve a day to use the admission you already paid for in advance.
Pay for for the possibility to get express line access for an attraction in the park you payed to reserve a day to use the admission you already paid for in advance.
Finally, when there are no express lines for any attractions, pay per person, per attraction to hopefully get on an attraction in the park you payed to reserve a day to use the admission you already paid for in advance.

The way Disney takes money from their guests is truly magical....

Vegas Disney Fan

Long story short. Is Disney making a short-term decision that will cost them long-term losses? Are they alienating guests and giving Universal an opening they really didn't need to give?

No, every year when Disney increases their prices people claim their done, then when they announce a change to a ride people claim they are done, then when they announce a closure (of any type) people claim they are done, etc, etc, etc…. meanwhile attendance goes up every year.

I hate many of the changes too but we just got back from DL last weekend (where we bought Dream keys) and we already have a trip planned with friends in 3.5 weeks and another trip planned for Halloween in about 7.5 weeks.

We are planning our next WDW trip around a Disney cruise, hopefully in Spring 2022.

Universal is fun but there’s still no comparison for us, Disney is still the pinnacle for us, nothing they’ve done so far has changed that.

I think the biggest risk they have is alienating younger people (20s and under), if they can’t afford to experience the parks they’ll never get the chance to fall in love with them and become lifelong Disney fans.

cheezbat

No, every year when Disney increases their prices people claim their done, then when they announce a change to a ride people claim they are done, then when they announce a closure (of any type) people claim they are done, etc, etc, etc…. meanwhile attendance goes up every year.

I hate many of the changes too but we just got back from DL last weekend (where we bought Dream keys) and we already have a trip planned with friends in 3.5 weeks and another trip planned for Halloween in about 7.5 weeks.

We are planning our next WDW trip around a Disney cruise, hopefully in Spring 2022.

Universal is fun but there’s still no comparison for us, Disney is still the pinnacle for us, nothing they’ve done so far has changed that.

I think the biggest risk they have is alienating younger people (20s and under), if they can’t afford to experience the parks they’ll never get the chance to fall in love with them and become lifelong Disney fans.
So what you’re saying is you’re part of the problem. You go back and keep going back regardless of negative changes.

Disney won’t listen unless we speak with our wallets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom