News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

JohnD

So unless I’m missing something - The former $719 Gold AP is now the $899 Sorcerer Pass? Minus PhotoPass (although I’d be eligible for the gracious opportunity to upgrade my AP with that plussed option for only $99).

Correct. Per Bricker, here are the summaries of the "lower" passes:

Gold > Sorcerer
Moving down another tier, which was previously occupied by the Gold Pass. This was only available to Florida residents or Disney Vacation Club members, and it was priced at $719. This AP was incredibly popular, as it was only blocked out around Christmas, New Year’s, and Easter/Spring Break. Times many locals avoided the parks, anyway.

The comparison here is to the Sorcerer Pass, which is similarly only for DVC members and Florida residents. The Sorcerer Pass costs $899 (plus $99 for PhotoPass) and is blocked out around the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s. That makes it ~39% more expensive than its predecessor with PhotoPass included.

Silver > Pirate
Next up, there’s the Silver Pass, which was only for Florida residents and was priced at $539. This had the same holiday blockout dates as the Gold Pass, plus pretty much the entirety of summer (June 1 to August 6).

The Silver Pass compares to the Pirate Pass, which is likewise only for Florida residents. The Pirate Pass costs $699 (plus $99 for PhotoPass) and is blocked out about the same number of days, but much more spread out and targeted over the course of the year to coincide with holidays. Including PhotoPass, the Pirate Pass is 48% more expensive than the Silver Pass.

Weekday Select > Pixie Dust
Finally, there’s the Pixie Dust Pass (still can’t believe that’s its real name), which replaces the Weekday Select Annual Pass (and Epcot After 4, I guess?) and is only available to Florida residents. Pre-closure, the Weekday Select AP cost $369, whereas the Pixie Dust Pass costs $399 (plus $99 for PhotoPass). That’s an increase of approximately 35% with PhotoPass factored into the math.

SirLink

Oh I see. So it's less about comparing the hierarchy of the passes but rather so that the new versions don't draw comparisons to the old versions since they offer less.

I still feel like more generic names would have been less condescending. Magic Pass, Magic Pass Plus, Dreamer Pass, .... generic, but not PiRaTe PaSs.

Indeed, also they can't use like fantasy pass, dream pass, etc. Because of the comparisons to DL.

doctornick

Also it’s interesting that they are getting rid of the evening Epcot pass… right when they are about to open two new rides and a new fireworks show plus smaller stuff (Play, Ducktales if that is still happening, JoW at some point). I wonder if it has to do with concern on how to do ride virtual queues with the new offerings? Or just that it might be a way to avoid having people get into Epcot “for cheap” when it’s where most new things are happening.

The third party restaurant operators surely aren’t going to be happy with this change

Indy_UK

As a DVC resale owner, I’m glad now I didn’t go any buy any of my points direct in order to get the AP discount as it doesn’t seem like it would of been worth it.

Seeing water parks and photopass removed and made as optional extras is interesting. I wonder if they will now be removed from UK 7 and 14 day park tickets we usually buy?

Im bracing myself for the return of Dinning plan in a few months and the pricing on that

SirLink

As a DVC resale owner, I’m glad now I didn’t go any buy any of my points direct in order to get the AP discount as it doesn’t seem like it would of been worth it.

Seeing water parks and photopass removed and made as optional extras is interesting. I wonder if they will now be removed from UK 7 and 14 day park tickets we usually buy?

Im bracing myself for the return of Dinning plan in a few months and the pricing on that
I would imagine they would remove both - I would prefer they added a parking pass though.

I'm a dreamer what can I say ...

Amused to Death

I still feel like more generic names would have been less condescending. Magic Pass, Magic Pass Plus, Dreamer Pass, .... generic, but not PiRaTe PaSs.

Gawd, these AP names are just plain stupid. Right up there with Creations Shop. 🤦‍♂️ Also, in this new era we find ourselves in of altering ride scenes and renaming sports teams, how did Pirate Pass even get approved? 🤔

SoFloMagic

At least for me and my situation, at least 63% increase!! Not counting any extra for the line cutting on the tier 1 rides (not included in Genie+). Add that in per day and the increase could easily approach 100% increase (that is 2x the cost).
Yup. Same here. FL platinum. I think renewals were like $810. Now 1110. So that's $700 more this year than last (we'll add photos to one).

JohnD

Those are some pretty steep % more expensive.

Those are percentage increases with Photopass included. The percentage increases are smaller without photopass.

Here are the purchasing increase percentages
  • Sorcerer: $899 over $719, or 25% increase
  • Pirate: $699 over $539, or 30% increase
  • Pixie Dust: $399 over $369, or 8% increase
Here are the renewal increase percentages
  • Sorcerer: $764 over $719, or 6% increase
  • Pirate: $594 over $539, or 10% increase
  • Pixie Dust: $339 over $369, 8% decrease

Last edited:

GoofyInOhio

Not specifically. If you are a Florida resident you can buy all 4. If you are out of state, DVC members can buy the Sorcerer Pass, or the Incredi-Pass.

Any DVC owner or only those with a Blue Card can buy a Sorcerer pass? A question many of us white card holders are wondering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom